How much income is enough?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I read his list of the Top 10 cars "smart people" buy and immediately knew I couldn't hack the Mr Mustache lifestyle. At least I like my job, I guess.

I mean, he's got the right idea, eliminating needless waste/status goods. He just takes up to like level 10 because he's gearing it for a small income to be able to save a shit ton. If you have a pretty good family income you can still live like a normal human and save a ton.

Just whatever your means is, live comfortably below that and save. Even if your means is $40k/yr, live like you make 20k/yr and save 20k. If you make 200, live like you make 50-60k/yr and save 150k/yr... etc.

Obviously making more money makes it easier and less shitty.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I live below my means, but definitely not that below my means. I cleared just over 80k last year and saved just over 25% of it. That's about as much as I'm willing to cut. As you say, it gets a shitton easier to still live a very nice life while saving half or more of your income, the higher your salary.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I live below my means, but definitely not that below my means. I cleared just over 80k last year and saved just over 25% of it. That's about as much as I'm willing to cut. As you say, it gets a shitton easier to still live a very nice life while saving half or more of your income, the higher your salary.

If you are saving 25% of your gross you will be fine over the long term if you get 7-10% on that money and work until you're 55 or so. Assuming you live into your later 80's and withdraw 4-5% per year in retirement... your lifestyle should be similar to when you were working.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Plus I'll have several high-dollar life insurance policies on the wife to off-set any bad market turns.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's actually not about living at a certain frugal-ness. It's about figuring out what you spend, and then on top of that deciding what things actually add value to your life. Like Cad said, if you need $100k in post tax income to be happy, that just means you need a larger portfolio to support that (and potentially working a lot longer).

My wife and I feel like we live incredibly spendy lives, but that still ends up being under $50k a year. We built a home gym last year and went to Disneyland 4 times (we don't live close enough to stay there, so hotels are included), we spent 2 weeks at the Gulf Coast beaches visiting my in-laws, we go hiking regularly, and we spend something like $450 a month on groceries. But we also rarely eat out and keep our thermostat at 63 in the winter, because those things aren't as important to us (I'd rather wear a hoodie around the house than blast the heat all day). We drive older cars and I do most of our home repairs myself (patching the roof, re-doing electrical, plumbing).

We have a $140k income, but live like we're on a $50k one. That means we max out IRA's and 401k's, and we're also starting a taxable account this year. I'd definitely say MMM's principals are easier with a higher income. It's kind of the core of what this discussion is, though. Most people can probably live on under $60k a year without sacrificing much, if anything. That means any additional income can be saved, and even better, means you need less to retire on (since you have a upper threshold on what you require for a comfortable life).

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

You redid a kitchen, saved 25%, and have a nice car? You're mr money handlebar mustache

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude are you retarded? Your personal experience doesnt not apply to the entire population. Anecdotes do not trump scientific studies.

I'll take my several hundred data points as evidence enough. Perhaps if you ever leave your mother's basement and make some money, you'll see that it doesn't fulfill you. I know the studies claim that it makes people happier, but they didn't dig deep enough. If you sit there comparing yourself to your neighbor, you'll never be good enough. Someone in your neighborhood has a bigger house or drives nicer cars. Everyone I know that went out and bought stuff trying to one-up the neighbor ended up being a short phone call away from a Psych ward.

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Guy comes from a community full of people whose sole concern is how much bling one has. Thinks his personal experience explains that community. Brilliant.

I don't live in that community, so what's your point? Not even 5% of our dealers were a minority. They were all White and fucked up in the head, just like you.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I don't live in that community, so what's your point? Not even 5% of our dealers were a minority. They were all White and fucked up in the head, just like you.
I'll take my several hundred data points as evidence enough. Perhaps if you ever leave your mother's basement and make some money, you'll see that it doesn't fulfill you. I know the studies claim that it makes people happier, but they didn't dig deep enough. If you sit there comparing yourself to your neighbor, you'll never be good enough. Someone in your neighborhood has a bigger house or drives nicer cars. Everyone I know that went out and bought stuff trying to one-up the neighbor ended up being a short phone call away from a Psych ward.
You are too dumb to understand basic fucking words. Stop assuming shit about others and go back to trimming bushes. Leave the thinking to others.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My wife just bought two tickets (125 each ) for the spartan race.

I wanted to cancel it, just out of principle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Going to run for free tonight, Lend. Guess you wouldn't know what that's like, making all that money.