Hugh Jackman: Logan

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Watched it today. Very good movie. Friend I watched it with said after, that she often forgot that it is a superhero movie. I guess that is high praise.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Most movies, especially this genre, lack the balls to let people fill in the gaps with their own imagination on stuff. This movie did that and was better for it.
Comic book movies never try to fill in the gaps or explain shit. Not sure what comic book movies you're watching

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Comic book movies never try to fill in the gaps or explain shit. Not sure what comic book movies you're watching

I don't think he's talking about plot holes, or missing origins. What he means is that when a comic book movie of low caliber tries to explain something, they put it in front of the screen and have a stupidly visible conversation to explain what it is they're talking about, and he's right, the organic nature of the script in this movie is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than any other past Wolverine stand alone, any Fox Superhero movie that I can think of off the top of my head included.

I mean Holy shit, how do you go from the last standalone Wolverine movies being complete garbage, to this?

Yeah its R rated but, the gore and cursing while definitely enhancing the movie, was not what made this movie way above the norm. The handling of the dialogue and behavior, while weeding out all the cruft, this adaption seems like it was cradled and babied at someone's hand.

Didn't the same guy who did the last Wolverine movie make this? Dafaque, did he just wake up?

I have to think it must have been one of the writers, Scott Frank or Michael Green.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
From what I've read Jackman came up with the story and had massive say in everything with this film and the studio never said no to him

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
And now for something completely different.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Biggby

Molten Core Raider
Jackman took a pay cut to do this and Mangold's budget was a lot less so the studio gave less fucks. Mangold wrote this on a premise from Jackman.

This and Deadpool in the hands of the creators not the bank and we get two treasures

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
If it was really Hugh (which I don't believe), he's an asshole for not doing it in previous movies.

Jackman: <reading script> This is shit, I'm changing my lines.
Day #33
Asshole #1: You caaaaaaant you have to do it my way.
Jackman: well I won't.
Asshole #1: you're fired!
Day #34
Asshole #2: ok Hugh now that we've made your changes we have to do this thing as part of the movie for more money.
Jackman: yeah that's a terrible idea I won't do that.
Asshole #2: Hugh, I've got to insist...
Jackman: I'll be in my trailer.
Day #37
Asshole #3: Ok Hugh, we scrapped all of that, but can you...
Jackman: nope
Asshole #3: Ok forget I asked.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
from what i heard, it wasn't that hugh nursed the idea from conception to maturity, he just woke up one night and was like, doing a movie like unforgiven with wolverine would be great. then he called up the director and gave the idea to him. part of the reason why i enjoyed the film so much was the emotional weight it carried. those are all r rated emotions though. the blood and gore came organically from having r rated emotional weight. james mangold said in an interview that in a pg-13 film you can have the good guy mow down 100 bad guys and never think twice about it. in an r rated film, the hero kills someone and the shot lingers on the victim, then lingers on the hero showing the toll that his actions are causing him.

THAT idea is what made logan a great film. we're watching what happens when a guy who has killed thousands of people over 150 years. he's worn out, he's tired, he's broken. he is trying desperately to get out of that lifestyle but he never can. no spoilers, but it's what makes his final line in the film so poignant

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Couple things to add to what hasn't been said already.

I did not expect her to sound like that when she started "screeching" at logan for the first time. I laughed pretty hard at that whole scene.

The ending got me when she turned the cross to a "X"...

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
And since I nitpicked, I do praise the hell out of the movie for avoiding a bunch of front-loaded exposition and instead answering the billion questions you have about htf everything went to shit slowly throughout the film - often with single lines of dialog.

My sister (never read a comic) even asked me if the "Westchester incident" = X-School. I had to google that shit to be sure.

It's not quite The Road with "one day, shit all died, but nevermind that" but it sure seems that way for a good chunk of the film.

I read an article that said they actually filmed flashback scenes that showed the Westchester incident and that was supposed to open the movie. But they decided it was better to leave it vague and ended up cutting it

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
A shot of dead X-men looking like

hqdefault.jpg

Fadaar

That guy
A lot of times I dislike when they change source material but Prof X's decaying brain going berserk and killing the X-Men instead of a mind controlled Wolverine is a positive in my book. Same with the end of Watchmen. Big fake space aliens? Nah, movie version way better with using Dr. Manhattan-esque weapons on major cities and pinning it on him was much more believable in a 21st century setting.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Not sure if mentioned in the thread before ( I haven't read it all ) but I was just reading about the film and that in early drafts the girl was speaking from the start and had a bit of an attitude.

One of the creative guys saw that and said no make her mute for 3/4s of the film. Great idea, how annoying would a talking smart arse kid have been? Instead we got those great moments where she would just look silently and eerily at people and you could feel the weight of it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Her eating cereal and watching the security camera was the highlight of the movie for me. Her just like nonchalantly waiting for them to come in so she can wreck them, but just munching on her raisin bran first.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Her eating cereal and watching the security camera was the highlight of the movie for me. Her just like nonchalantly waiting for them to come in so she can wreck them, but just munching on her raisin bran first.

Well their product placement (not sure if it was or not but eh) half worked on you, it was Corn Flakes :p