Investing General Discussion

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did I not get the memo for a bear market rally?
1651164181978.png

Look at that fuckin RSI lol

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I am in no way defending the Admin and the Fed when I say this... They dont have anything else they can say. There is literally zero they can do at this point. We all know finance works the way it does for a reason. Inflation - Interest Rates - Equities are all interconnected. Cant spend your way out of a slowing economy with inflation running around 10%. Cant raise rates to curb inflation without tanking equities. They (and us of course) are well and truly fucked. Powell needs to man the fuck up and do the right thing for the Country and jack rates to 10% overnight. Yes the market tanks, yes the real estate market crashes, but it solves the problem and we can actually begin the recovery. This soft landing bullshit is just fucking us harder than we already are for political reasons, but there isnt anything to fucking gain politically.
Agree , except in the severity of the cure. 10% is not needed. If they would just adjust now to the two year would likely take care of it .

the Fed needs to automate open market operations and just peg the Fed fund rate to the two yr yield and be done with it .

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Agree , except in the severity of the cure. 10% is not needed. If they would just adjust now to the two year would likely take care of it .

the Fed needs to automate open market operations and just peg the Fed fund rate to the two yr yield and be done with it .
Yeah, the 10% number was a more "symbolic" number to represent them needing to get serious and just rip off the bandaid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fun fact, if Euro has fallen against the dollar in the last month at about a 68% yearly inflation rate. That's third world levels of losing value.
Yes, we're fucking spoiled. The Euro and the Yen are both totally fucked and we're throwing a tantrum about 1 quarter of regression to the mean in GDP and some elevated inflation.

We have things so good here in the US that I've lost interest in either side constantly claiming that things are fundamentally broken.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yes, we're fucking spoiled. The Euro and the Yen are both totally fucked and we're throwing a tantrum about 1 quarter of regression to the mean in GDP and some elevated inflation.

We have things so good here in the US that I've lost interest in either side constantly claiming that things are fundamentally broken.

You're comparing the wrong things by comparing mostly broken things.

Compare where we're at today to where we were on the gold standard.

• 1Moron

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm assuming big money is now positioned for earnings, cheap puts and holding shares. I would imagine most of retail is yolo leveraged long.

I really think this little rally today is due to the negative gdp report, big money betting on rate cuts.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So time for a teaching moment. I had some free time this afternoon between meetings and decided to analyze all my closed positions (not all portfolio positions but only ones I have closed out of). I went back to 2019 through today. For those using Fidelity on the ATP platform, just go to "accounts" and then "closed positions" to find the info.

After getting all the data (I did not include options trades, just equities to make it comparable) in Excel, I then put it into a pivot table and took a look. One take away I got for myself is that my trading is improving year over year. By taking the total $$ invested in each symbol (this is why using a pivot tale helps as it will aggregate multiple trades of the same symbol) and the total profit/loss $$ I can see year over year my total profit/loss of my closed out positions.

I personally think this type of analysis is critical to improving as an investor. Not necessarily this particular analysis, but you have to objectively look at all your trades. There are a couple of trades I had forgotten about (for good reason, they were bad). This type of critical look can help you decide if you are holding your losers too long or are you taking profits from runners off the table when warranted etc.

Takeaways:
I am improving each year. I am making better choices, cutting my losers shorter and am taking some profits even from long term holds when the situation warrants and this is reflected in my increases profit percentages year over year. Early on the bulk of my closed positions were bad trades or my shifting my investing strategy with the market. The last couple of years I have more clearly defined my strategy and really focused my discipline to not straying outside of it.

Year Closed position Gain/Loss %
2019 3.93%
2020 4.08%
2021 10.46%
2022 22.35%

Excluding SPACS and MEME stocks that were quick flips, my best trading over the last four years has been in NVDA. Trading in and out of it I have pulled a 70% realized profit off the table. A day trader would easily surpass that percentage, but for me I tend to hold stocks for much longer periods.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm assuming big money is now positioned for earnings, cheap puts and holding shares. I would imagine most of retail is yolo leveraged long.

I really think this little rally today is due to the negative gdp report, big money betting on rate cuts.
I have been reading that the selling lately has been retailers and that the funds are behind the latest buying moves.

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You're comparing the wrong things by comparing mostly broken things.

Compare where we're at today to where we were on the gold standard.

We could fix things, it'd just take a politician willing to put his neck on the line like Lincoln did when he stood against most of his party on how to bring the South back into the Union. We have to think long term and accept that in the short term, we need to go through some tough times to build a future prosperity. I don't think there's a politician on either side that'd do that unfortunately.

So I don't think it's doom, just that we're creating more unnecessary long term grief than we really needed to, due to poor management of the nation's finances.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have been reading that the selling lately has been retailers and that the funds are behind the latest buying moves.
Veteran trader I know thats been in the market for a long time told me most of the big boys use slow stochastic indicators for buys/sells.

1651171600818.png

Were definitely in the "buy" area. (QQQ daily)

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We could fix things, it'd just take a politician willing to put his neck on the line like Lincoln did when he stood against most of his party on how to bring the South back into the Union. We have to think long term and accept that in the short term, we need to go through some tough times to build a future prosperity. I don't think there's a politician on either side that'd do that unfortunately.

So I don't think it's doom, just that we're creating more unnecessary long term grief than we really needed to, due to poor management of the nation's finances.
Except politicians are incapable of thinking beyond the next election cycle. Their philosophy is why have long term thinking if it gets me booted out the next election and I can't complete it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Except politicians are incapable of thinking beyond the next election cycle. Their philosophy is why have long term thinking if it gets me booted out the next election and I can't complete it.
That's exactly my point. We don't think long term as a country.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Same goes for a lot of business leadership. Hyper-focus on near term growth and market cap/stock price metrics does not necessarily select for durable and long-term profitable businesses. I see TOOOONS of under-investment, maintenance deferral, and general can-kicking in the industries I consult in. Next year's problems are for the guy sitting in your chair after you get promoted or take a C-level position in a bigger company.

Edit: There was a pretty hilarious project I worked on maybe 15 years ago in the refining industry. This company kept having crazy profitability cycles and wanted help figuring out what was going on. It turns out that their booms and busts matched perfectly with rotations in plant management. One team would come in and slash maintenance budgets to the bone. Profit skyrockets, he looks like a superstar, gets promoted. Next guy inherits a crumbling hellhole on the verge of exploding. Triples maintenance, tanks profitability, but fixes the problems. Gets fired. Next guy repeats cycle.

They switched to a different set of management performance metrics, and viola, different behavior.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users