Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Always a tough call when active/daytrading to wait one out the whole time you are thinking it's costing you money tying up that capital waiting. One of the best day traders I ever met who taught me a lot strongly believed in closing it out EOD , and he's probably right. I ended up not doing that but I only ever flipped names that I was okay being caught in just because it helped me psychologically to be less concerned with a red position.

Can always look at that nasty swings in NVDA this morning and maybe say "well I didn't get caught in that", sometimes the missed opportunity is the opportunity to lose money.

Always closing out EOD is something I heard repeatedly ever since I started day trading but I got burned enough times by closing out EOD a position with a loss of few hundred dollars only for everyone buy the dip overnight and have it rip at the open next day. Its always a hard call, and I had it as a hard rule for a long time but eventually dropped it. If its an established stock like NVDA or TSLA where I'm reasonably certain it will get back to break even in several days or a week, I dont mind too much holding it. If its some rando small cap or some shitter stock, yeah I am likely cutting it by EOD

Given how much the market has melted in last 2 days, I dont really see anything I am particularly interested in other than dirt cheap NVDA so I'm OK with waiting a day or three to recoup my money.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Well I'm up 50% on those calls an hour later. Markets attempt to rally just falling apart. This is an important change in behavior . Stonks performing a certain way for months on end gets people thinking it's permanent, until it isnt.

Now everyone can start acting like a small corrective period is the end of the world.
How long do you think this correction will go? Debating throwing in some money from my emergency fund into FXAIX and QQQM before my payday at the end of the month where I can just replenish it instead of investing at EoM when paycheck drops.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
How long do you think this correction will go? Debating throwing in some money from my emergency fund into FXAIX and QQQM before my payday at the end of the month where I can just replenish it instead of investing at EoM when paycheck drops.
Its very early yet , no real damage done. QQQ putting up no fight at the 20d is not a good sign. Markets move level to level, I am convinced we have behavior change. The rotation trade was just the catalyst that snapped the market out of the melt up. I don't know what your timeframe is, Buying the market anytime the 200d is going up and price is above and the moving averages are stacked in order is a good trade LONG term. If you mean you want to try to bottom fish a move and swing a trade over a few weeks/month then I'd say wait more.

I'm out IJS sold at $107.18 so I'm sitting on a shit ton of cash so going to be watching things closely for some opportunities but as mentioned this morning I'm in a rather risk adverse footing at the moment.

• 4Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Its very early yet , no real damage done. QQQ putting up no fight at the 20d is not a good sign. Markets move level to level, I am convinced we have behavior change. The rotation trade was just the catalyst that snapped the market out of the melt up. I don't know what your timeframe is, Buying the market anytime the 200d is going up and price is above and the moving averages are stacked in order is a good trade LONG term. If you mean you want to try to bottom fish a move and swing a trade over a few weeks/month then I'd say wait more.

I'm out IJS sold at $107.18 so I'm sitting on a shit ton of cash so going to be watching things closely for some opportunities but as mentioned this morning I'm in a rather risk adverse footing at the moment.
No, I want to catch the bottom for a long term hold. So I’d pull maybe 10k from my emergency fund and instead of waiting till end of the month to invest my paycheck I’d just use the paycheck to replenish my EF. So I think I’m in the former scenario(?)

It sounds like it may be worth waiting a few more days to see how things play out.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Probably a good one to play today, acting completely independent of the indexes

1721322679740.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
i'm out with my biggest loss this month. -$266

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good call. Turning daytrades into swings is a surefire way to get in the red and needing to babysit tied up capital.

Stick to your trade plan. You know what works. Be ruthless and cut when it doesn't go to plan and move on looking for your next setup.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
oh btw

TSMC earnings after market close today. If they're good, they could jump start the chip market stocks again. AMD went from 185 to 152 in last 3 days for example, i think a lot of parties are waiting for one piece of good news from that industry to start piling back in

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Good call. Turning daytrades into swings is a surefire way to get in the red and needing to babysit tied up capital.

Stick to your trade plan. You know what works. Be ruthless and cut when it doesn't go to plan and move on looking for your next setup.
So you're saying I shouldn't double down on my NKLA position?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The great depression... Bro.

You're right. I mixed up two catastophes that made life worse for millions of people that happened in the early 20th.

Wonder if we'll see the end of the Fed, at least in it's current form, in my lifetime. More likely whoever tries to accomplish that (or a revision of it to serve the people) will end up assassinated very quickly.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Made $800 yesterday and lost $400 today.

Make up your mind stonks!

• 1Triggered

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wonder if we'll see the end of the Fed, at least in it's current form, in my lifetime.
Why the fuck would you want that? Do you want Congress making monetary policy? Because those are your options.

• 1WTF
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Looking for some advice - for mutual funds should I be doing average cost basis or actual cost basis in my fidelity account? I didn’t notice this was a thing until recently. My disposal method is set to FIFO. For context I’m holding my investments long term with a minimal time horizon of 5 years. My ETFs are set to actual cost basis.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you are holding that long I don’t think it matters.

it matters when you want to absolutely insure long vs. short gains or selling for profit vs loss on selling only some shares during a price rise, etc.

• 1Like

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Looking for some advice - for mutual funds should I be doing average cost basis or actual cost basis in my fidelity account? I didn’t notice this was a thing until recently. My disposal method is set to FIFO. For context I’m holding my investments long term with a minimal time horizon of 5 years. My ETFs are set to actual cost basis.
Cost basis is how capital gains are calculated--it's the official price you bought the stock at. You only pay taxes on the sale price (or reduce ordinary income by the losses) above and beyond the cost basis--the capital gains. I buy a share for $100, I sell it for $120, I am only paying taxes on 120 - 100 = $20 of capital gains.

Average cost = when you sell a share, you take the total $ invested in ALL shares and divide by # of ALL shares. That works out to the average stock price at the time you purchased. It's an option only available to mutual funds. Once you use this method (sell a share under it), I believe it is permanent for all shares purchased prior to the sale date.​
Actual cost = when you sell a share, you take the real cost of that actual share you bought based on its price at the time you purchased.​

For actual cost, you then also need to think about your disposal method. FIFO is first in first out, meaning you sell the earliest shares first. I know from your posts you're heavy in US market funds, which will generally go up over time. So FIFO will generally incur the largest tax liability when you sell (markets generally go up, so the first stocks you buy will generally have the lowest cost basis), which most people want to avoid.

If you are in Fidelity, they have a setting called Tax-Sensitive Short-Term: any time you sell, Fidelity will prioritize selling the largest net tax-impacting loss based on set short-term and long term tax rates (meaning you deduct those net losses up to usually ~$3k/year from your income), followed by the smallest to largest tax impact for net gains. For most people with all their eggs in one or a few baskets and not trying to set themselves up for complicated tax loss harvesting (selling paired loss + gain stocks to net out 0 capital gains for a year), this is probably the best way to sell, and probably what I'd recommend in general.

Rangoth is right that this isn't a 'now' problem, but I'd also argue that it's most important to understand for a long-term investor, because you'll be adding to your position over many years and then exiting in portions near the end of it all. There will be material tax differences between selling the early tax lots vs the later ones. If I sell 2005 SPY today I'm paying $550 - $150 = $400 * 15% = $50 per share in taxes, vs selling 2023 SPY and paying $550 - $450 = $100 * 15% = $15 per share. That's a difference of $35 per share that's no longer earning for me.

Conversely, if you're just opening and closing entire positions like a number of posters in this thread, every single tax method is the same and none of it really matters.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users