Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The morning it happened all the day traders were all about trying to play it.

My thesis was that it dropped 10% on the bad news, so if I got in when it sold off, I could hope for a 10% return at best (to get back to $340 before the meltdown) while trying to ride this stock into very strong headwinds and subsequent weeks or months of bad press. All that for a possible 10% gain while having capital tied up for at least couple weeks but probably months.

So I stayed away. Most of the day traders that tried to play it instead of MSFT (which also dropped but wasn't responsible) lost money on it that day and it looks like it keeps going down. Guys who played MSFT that day made good money

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Bro.... They literally blew up hundreds of millions of man hours of productivity in 24 hours and caused untold losses to thousands of companies.

Aside from the stonk taking a hit, I'm going to guess they're going to be paying damages for YEARS in to airlines, banks, etc. which will be compounding bad press and dragging down their profits. Do they have any direct competitors who can replace them at all these companies? I don't know, but if they do, that's lost revenue on top of lost profit.

I'd be very careful buying this.

As a personal anecdote my mom sent me a pic today. She was flying out of O'Hare airport on a United flight and the screen at her gate was still BSOD 2 days later.

Personally I think their brand and reputation is probably permanently poisoned. This was a huge fuck up.
There are multiple competitors in their space, and more than a few that are honestly better than them. They had an early starter advantage and have been masterful with their marketing over that time. Which has blessed them over time with a certain level of market share dominance on top of their early/first mover advantage.

Of the 18 customers I support in my role I believe 13 are running Crowdstrike, all took the hit. A few are running their older competitors (like Carbon Black, MS Defender APT) who didn't suffer, but also aren't getting the tier of protection a shop running a modern EDR tool gets. And a couple are running modern EDR tools which aren't Crowdstrike, and of course they weren't affected. If you want to see the tools in their space that have done the best in third party testing, that exists....

The MITRE group does these tests every year, and openly publishes all the findings. That link shows Crowdstrike v. Palo Alto v. Microsoft, but you can pick and choose any three of the participants to compare. They're neutral and respected in the cybersecurity circles.

But one thing to remember is that virtually every vendor will, if they haven't already, have a "bad patch day" at some point. Question is how bad. How good their QA processes for their patches/updates are, and how hard it is to fix. In this case Crowdstrike had bad day which was also NOT an "easy to fix" bad day....

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
CrowdStrike's main thing going for them was they had really good marketing, and this destroys that.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Idk, I feel like there’s a perspective here that the only thing that can take down CrowdStrike is themselves. That counts for something 😂

They need to run with that.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Still no love for CRWD now that the smoke and dust cleared after the weekend

1721646709471.png

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Still no love for CRWD now that the smoke and dust cleared after the weekend

View attachment 537945

I would say "survived the weekend". There are still a MASSIVE number of systems still down across the globe because of this. It will probably be late this week before we can say the global IT community has "recovered".

And seems the analysts have noticed... This morning's CRWD news...
1721653714534.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I would say "survived the weekend". There are still a MASSIVE number of systems still down across the globe because of this. It will probably be late this week before we can say the global IT community has "recovered".

And seems the analysts have noticed... This morning's CRWD news...
View attachment 537950

And this is before they get sued, their sales get impacted, they get called to testify in front of congress, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can also confirm I flew yesterday and airports were still using it as excuse. I’ve never seen lines that long *inside* security for the help desk. Some people had been there 1-2 days tempers were high

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
And this is before they get sued, their sales get impacted, they get called to testify in front of congress, etc.
As I mentioned, their sales are already being impacted in all probability since they will have had a lot of "close of FQ" deals supposedly signing and completing this week. Worst possible time for something like this to happen. And looking at where support levels for their stock are historically, they could easily tumble today and tomorrow to around 240 a share.

Only recent similar drop I can remember (for a competitor of Crowdstrike) is when PANW had an earnings call where they mentioned the move of the market towards platformitization (which means lower margins and valuation for point products) and they took a 28% hit in one day. CRWD was already on a 3 day 10% drop, then Friday happened, now this morning counting from last Tuesday CRWD is down 26%, and 18% of that is just Friday and this morning (so far).

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
TSLA & GOOGL earnings today

Hows everyone feeling about TSLA?

1721733731314.png

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
TSLA & GOOGL earnings today

Hows everyone feeling about TSLA?

View attachment 538111
I’ve been reading lately that earnings are essentially fairly meaningless for investing decisions (especially for retail investors) and the only thing that matters is future targets and projections. Earnings being the past and that market makers are essentially aware of what these metrics will be before hand and that there no surprises since everything a company does is fairly easily tracked and known beforehand since everything is digitized. What’s the stock pals theory on earnings?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I’ve been reading lately that earnings are essentially fairly meaningless for investing decisions (especially for retail investors) and the only thing that matters is future targets and projections. Earnings being the past and that market makers are essentially aware of what these metrics will be before hand and that there no surprises since everything a company does is fairly easily tracked and known beforehand since everything is digitized. What’s the stock pals theory on earnings?

Earnings have an outsized effect on price action which is the main thing that day traders care about. Earnings season is basically free money if you're patient and paying attention.

That's my opinion on it at least, I dont speak for the rest of SP

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes, but unless you use a straddle, guessing the wrong direction can also mean a 100% loss because when a stock tweaks on earnings it tends to tweak hard and remain in it’s new spot a bit(especially on down tweaks).