Investing General Discussion

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If fed does start cutting rates going to have a lot of people wishing they had moved money from MM funds to Treasury notes when they were at 4.75-5
Yeah, I'm wondering how long the "Earn around 5% on a savings account with no minimums or requirements" train will keep rolling along. Current status of my "place to hold cash I might have a reasonable need to liquidate fast" account....
1724250944751.png

1724251003577.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can buy treasuries directly throughout Fidelity. If you ever need the cash, you can sell those directly on the secondary market right with a click in the broker browser window. If you buy now, and Fed drops rates later, the underlying value of your treasuries increase in value. It’s really a win win for “safe plays” in today’s market.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I always thought money markets would move faster than cds or treasuries, but I guess it makes sense that since there’s no long term time component to them they can move slower and not get bitten as hard when rates drop.

I’m doing the Fidelity treasuries + bonds with companies that are a bit shady, like capital one, GM, and other decent companies with shit books to get the higher rates for 2-3 year bonds.

You can sort them by Yield to Worst and see what your options are

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Someone told me yesterday that they had a high yield savings for X amount and where they had it that was the limit you could put into it. Didn't seem that high I don't know if that was new or always like that.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Someone told me yesterday that they had a high yield savings for X amount and where they had it that was the limit you could put into it. Didn't seem that high I don't know if that was new or always like that.
That account I listed a few posts ago is with Texas Capital Bank. I believe it had a cap for the high interest and over that it earned a significantly lower rate. I think that cap was something to the order of $100k. Which if I had a ton of money to store in this way would be an issue. But since I use this as a "Place to store cash I might need on hand quickly" it won't grow to that size.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know you guys don’t care about the safer side of investing due to your age / more aggressive holdings, but my days of finding 5% cds for old people are long gone and I’m now struggling to find 5% individual bonds through reputable companies, but there are a few left. (Talking 1-3 year duration)

Theoretically, what will benefit from a continually declining interest rate on the safer side of a portfolio? Maybe dividend stocks and the energy sector which has gotten shit on for a while now.

On the aggressive side I like the mid small caps finally having their year potentially, but you have to be a wild man to pick them individually.

take all of this with the caveat that I’m barely right more than I am wrong ! G.L.
US Farm Bonds are callable so might only get a year out of them but still yielding over 6%

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone got live update of that Jackson hole meeting? Or a site I can track it myself, my fail-google skills just keeps finding news articles about it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Reuters has 6 minutes ago fed officials leaning strongly to rate cut in minutes

• 2Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
Somewhat related

When my first son was born 15 years ago, my dad bought him a $200 savings bond (cost then was $100, the bond says $200 on it). I looked it up, it's now worth $119. I'm going to take my son to a bank to cash out, I'm not paying tax on that $19, then stick it in his ally account (~4.5%).

It's funny to think that $100 would be worth $48k if it was used to buy Nvidia instead.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Sp500 will break 6k by election. Stand ready.

• 1Mother of God

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Somewhat related

When my first son was born 15 years ago, my dad bought him a $200 savings bond (cost then was $100, the bond says $200 on it). I looked it up, it's now worth $119. I'm going to take my son to a bank to cash out, I'm not paying tax on that $19, then stick it in his ally account (~4.5%).

It's funny to think that $100 would be worth $48k if it was used to buy Nvidia instead.
Did you call your dad a dumbass and ask him why he didn't predict the most successfully overhyped company for 2024 back in 2009 bro?!

• 3Worf

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Where is our master of market sentiment and big picture bro Blazin Blazin ?

Am I reading the wrong signals or does it appear, via low volume and strong resistance lines that the bulls are, at least for the moment, unable to keep forcing things upward?

I suppose it could explode up or down based on some factor when it gets trapped in this channel? Take a strangle on it?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Where is our master of market sentiment and big picture bro Blazin Blazin ?

Am I reading the wrong signals or does it appear, via low volume and strong resistance lines that the bulls are, at least for the moment, unable to keep forcing things upward?

I suppose it could explode up or down based on some factor when it gets trapped in this channel? Take a strangle on it?
Toy Story Woody GIF by LOS 40 Guadalajara

• 2Worf
  • 1Diamond Hands

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let me help. SPY daily:

1724346903920.png

Big retracement in a very quick timeframe, all into declining daily volume. Would not be surprised to see some type of pullback. Sentiment is clearly to the upside. Tons of underlying buying pressure, and most importantly with good breadth of participation (not just AI / Tech carrying). There is some skepticism overall on the "soft landing" narrative and jobs / consumer demand is showing some signs of weakening. My take though is its going to take a lot more negative data to turn this ship around into bear territory.

I am still in my Aug 5th buys. Closely monitoring the macro situation and data that is rolling in.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I read it as the opposite actually, interesting. I see many signs of a potential pullback, though I admit not a hard crash. My SPY put is up 15% right now.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m talking overall sentiment. Not a day’s worth of healthy pullback.

• 1Paper Hands
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My view pretty much aligns with Jysin. I had been looking for more trouble at the MAs but that didn't happen so ATH was next on tap. If I had to guess at near term, we get a push at ATH and either blast straight through or we get a week or so of weakness and drop back to low 540s and then rocket ship to near 600.

I wish it wasn't so but things seem aligned to a blow off move leading into the first rate cut.

Still holding SPY and I'm also holding small caps again.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1To the Moon!