Investing General Discussion

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Most advanced cruise control systems take 90% of the work out of highway driving already.

It can't be a "robotaxi" until it can navigate San Francisco, NY, or Boston better than a human.

Fuck releasing them in the cities. Drop em in suburbs and medium sized town america.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fuck releasing them in the cities. Drop em in suburbs and medium sized town america.
Right, but where are those people going to want to go? Into the city usually, for a doctor appointment or some bullshit event, and then GTFO back to normie land.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Right, but where are those people going to want to go? Into the city usually, for a doctor appointment or some bullshit event, and then GTFO back to normie land.

Mybwife and i, and friends, always use to uber around our med sized town so we could go to events / parties that serves drinks. Stopped a while ago cause uber / lyft drivers are all fucken weirdos. Now we just have one drink or a dd for fun stuff.

Theres a lot of activity going on in middle america you probably wouldnt be aware of cause you’re a shut in.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Thought this is the best place to ask.. I’m looking for a calculator like good ole Dave Ramsey’s investment calculator but with more granularity

For example, I invest a set amount each month but I also get RSU vests every X amount of months. I’d like to factor those in. Anyone know a web calculator or have an excel template that lets you put in contribution by month?

Tried ChatGPT but I just wanna double check it.

Burns

FSD on local roads is a work in progress and will probably always be so. It ain't ready for primetime, except maybe in a rural. On a highway though with less variables it's rock solid.
My assumption has been that, in order to get them safe enough that the public would accept wide scale adoption, the roads will need to be built specifically to accommodate them. Not sure what that would entail, but, for example, something to make curbs and shoulders (white line) visible to the car when under mud or snow.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My assumption has been that, in order to get them safe enough that the public would accept wide scale adoption, the roads will need to be built specifically to accommodate them. Not sure what that would entail, but, for example, something to make curbs and shoulders (white line) visible to the car when under mud or snow.
Avoiding left turns for one. FSD turning left against oncome traffic is scary AF. Places like NJ where they did away with left turns on major roads would be a start.

Honestly, when you think about all the variables involved, driving in urban areas is a clusterfuck. It's one reason there are so many accidents with humans doing it. So the FSD can calculate all the known variables, but it is operating in an environment involving shitloads of human drivers and that's incalculable. I think if you had an area only populated by FSD vehicles it would do pretty well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only way that shit will ever work is taking the human element out completely and having all FSD communicate with each other real time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Only way that shit will ever work is taking the human element out completely and having all FSD communicate with each other real time.
Right, and cities having their own car routers.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Robotaxis have been in service in Phoenix for a couple years. You want to pucker your asshole for an entire car ride, try one out. They hug the curb tightly, even when doing 50mph.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All of these self-driving services have Car NOCs where there's human shitlords standing by to constantly assist the cars while eating french fries.

• 1EyeRoll

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All of these self-driving services have Car NOCs where there's human shitlords standing by to constantly assist the cars while eating french fries.
The one I linked does not have a person in it. They had to do that for the first year of operation only. They’re fully driverless now. It’s just you sitting in the back seat praying you don’t die when a motherboard goes bad.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The one I linked does not have a person in it. They had to do that for the first year of operation only. They’re fully driverless now. It’s just you sitting in the back seat praying you don’t die when a motherboard goes bad.
They don't joystick the cars but they do provide additional routing assistance when a car gets stuck, and other remote response upon alert.

• 1Pants on Fire!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Avoiding left turns for one. FSD turning left against oncome traffic is scary AF. Places like NJ where they did away with left turns on major roads would be a start.

Honestly, when you think about all the variables involved, driving in urban areas is a clusterfuck. It's one reason there are so many accidents with humans doing it. So the FSD can calculate all the known variables, but it is operating in an environment involving shitloads of human drivers and that's incalculable. I think if you had an area only populated by FSD vehicles it would do pretty well.
So I've talked about Orange Beach a lot in other threads, but they actually did this for the most part about a decade ago. They basically made it where the main road has very few places you can actually turn left, and they're always at lights. It was because traffic was becoming a clusterfuck as the tourist numbers started exploding.

And it can definitely be a bit annoying having to drive a little further to turn to where you want, but it's also made it a lot less stressful driving there.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
None of you understand what I'm saying. There's a room full of geeks monitoring the "autonomous" car fleet somewhere, getting alerted any time one encounters an exception. This is a fact.

They do not drive the car remotely, but they do intervene in other ways.

• 1Pants on Fire!

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
None of you understand what I'm saying. There's a room full of geeks monitoring the "autonomous" car fleet somewhere, getting alerted any time one encounters an exception. This is a fact.

They do not drive the car remotely, but they do intervene in other ways.
Ok sure dude

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I've talked about Orange Beach a lot in other threads, but they actually did this for the most part about a decade ago. They basically made it where the main road has very few places you can actually turn left, and they're always at lights. It was because traffic was becoming a clusterfuck as the tourist numbers started exploding.

And it can definitely be a bit annoying having to drive a little further to turn to where you want, but it's also made it a lot less stressful driving there.

When I first encountered it in NJ, it was a serious WTF moment. But as you say, it did kinda idiot proof it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
One downside to NJ roads were fucking jug handles, hated those things. Wanna turn left? Okay, you just gotta turn right first, but make sure you turn right at the right spot! Less of an issue in the days of google maps but super annoying before hand. Dunno how many other dumbass states had them.

• 1Like