Investing General Discussion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Why are there no one-armed Economists?
"on one hand it could be X, but on the other hand..."

Ooh, are we doing economist jokes?? (Disclamer: I have a degree in economics.)

Joke the first:

Two men go for a hot air balloon ride across the English countryside. They have a lovely morning drifting over the fields and hedgerows until a freak storm pops in and blows them badly off course, leaving them lost. Wondering how on Earth they'll get back back on course, they see a man standing down on a road below them.

The first balloonist shouts down, "HALOOOOOOOOO, SIR?? COULD YOU KINDLY TELL US WHERE WE ARE?"

The man down below yells up, "OF COURSE! YOU'RE IN A BALLOON!" And then he waves pleasantly and walks off.

The second balloonist says to the first, "That man must be an economist."
"Why?", asks the second.
"Because everything he said was completely accurate and yet utterly useless."

---------------------------------------
Joke the second:

Three econometricians go hunting and they spot a large, incredibly oblivious deer about fifty yards ahead of them in the forest. The first econometrician takes careful aim with his rifle, but he is a hopeless sportsman and his shot is wide left by three feet. The second econometrician lines up for his turn, but misses three feet to the right. The third econometrician immediately leaps up and down, shouting, "WE GOT IT! WE GOT IT!"

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Didn't see a bank thread. Other than local credit union, any bank suggestions. No Wells Fargo here.

I wanted usaa, but it looks like my dad has to have been a member not just in the service. I got a general discharge for sleep walking as a cav scout. My dd214 phrasing makes me unsure if I count as honorable or not. Not dishonorable or is never had my jobs. But seemed like it was done grey in between area.

Figured a local branch more than an atm ideal stove in getting antsy to pull a mattress and keep a decent sum of cash on hand in case Maga voters get Canadian style bank frozen.
Call USAA and see what they say.

Depending on your banking needs we use M&T and Chase for our businesses and I use USAA for personal.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Call USAA and see what they say.

Depending on your banking needs we use M&T and Chase for our businesses and I use USAA for personal.
After talking to him again apparently he has usaa, miscommunication, and a suprise since he doesn't bank with them to my knowledge

Locally we have just tiny banks and unions, so slim pickings, none of the national brands but I bet some of these you can use other banks out of. Arvest, rcb , red crown.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ooh, are we doing economist jokes?? (Disclamer: I have a degree in economics.)

Joke the first:

Two men go for a hot air balloon ride across the English countryside. They have a lovely morning drifting over the fields and hedgerows until a freak storm pops in and blows them badly off course, leaving them badly lost. Wondering how on Earth they'll get back back on course, they see a man standing down on a road below them.

The first balloonist shouts down, "HALOOOOOOOOO, SIR?? COULD YOU KINDLY TELL US WHERE WE ARE?"

The man down below yells up, "OF COURSE! YOU'RE IN A BALLOON!" And then he waves pleasantly and walks off.

The second balloonist says to the first, "That man must be an economist."
"Why?", asks the second.
"Because everything he said was completely accurate and yet utterly useless."

---------------------------------------
Joke the second:

Three econometricians go hunting and they spot a large, incredibly oblivious deer about fifty yards ahead of them in the forest. The first econometrician takes careful aim with his rifle, but he is a hopeless sportsman and his shot is wide left by three feet. The second econometrician lines up for his turn, but misses three feet to the right. The third econometrician immediately leaps up and down, shouting, "WE GOT IT! WE GOT IT!"
I love my Econ degree. On one hand i learned to use a ton of math and stats. On the other hand...

• 1Rimshot
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
After talking to him again apparently he has usaa, miscommunication, and a suprise since he doesn't bank with them to my knowledge

Locally we have just tiny banks and unions, so slim pickings, none of the national brands but I bet some of these you can use other banks out of.
Most of the big banks you never really need to go to a physical branch. I never set foot in Chase or M&T after initial account setup. I do everything online

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most of the big banks you never really need to go to a physical branch. I never set foot in Chase or M&T after initial account setup. I do everything online
Ditto except now wanting to walk up and take out 3k cash for a dog, 8k for a mower, etc randomly. Atm doesn't cut it. Country lyfe

There's an oklahoma fidelity that is a division of fidelity so maybe that's decent. Since it's where I'll have a bunch of increment money

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't see a bank thread. Other than local credit union, any bank suggestions. No Wells Fargo here.

I wanted usaa, but it looks like my dad has to have been a member not just in the service. I got a general discharge for sleep walking as a cav scout. My dd214 phrasing makes me unsure if I count as honorable or not. Not dishonorable or is never had my jobs. But seemed like it was done grey in between area.

Figured a local branch more than an atm ideal stove in getting antsy to pull a mattress and keep a decent sum of cash on hand in case Maga voters get Canadian style bank frozen.

I've had good experiences with Capital One and Chase.

I use both of these in varying capacities and would recommend.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ditto except now wanting to walk up and take out 3k cash for a dog, 8k for a mower, etc randomly. Atm doesn't cut it. Country lyfe

There's an oklahoma fidelity that is a division of fidelity so maybe that's decent. Since it's where I'll have a bunch of increment money
Dealing with sums of cash like that is getting harder and harder in today's world. Moat branches just dont keep cash like that. They ask for 24 hours notice for sums in excess of 5k in mamy places.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got some SPY re-buy orders out there for the ~390 level. (Sold off a good chunk at the 431 level (200DMA)).

Of course leaving plenty of firepower for adds lower. Wouldn't be surprised at all to get some revisions down ahead of earnings as recession risk starts setting in.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
on my way through a graduate program in psychology

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
All you fuckers with buy orders at 390 are really getting in the way of what should be a nice orderly drop. Please stand aside

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10:47 (US) Market Trading Hours Summary: Ominous investment landscape confronts markets heading into September

Summary: Risk appetite remained suppressed by a host of factors coming into today’s session. Rates continued to rise globally despite signs of economic weakness, while US stocks look headed for a fifth straight day of declines. PMI readings outside the US continued to point to contraction, while a fresh Covid lockdown in one of China’s largest cities fanned concerns that supply chain constraints will continue to feed inflation. Once again, the US dollar benefited, pushing the dollar index to another 20+ year high. The US 2-year yield broke above 3.5% for the first time in 15 years. Geopolitical worries abound as Russia’s maintenance on Nord Stream 1 continued to halt the flow of gas into Europe, while officials there prepare to announce logistics for a Russian oil price cap. US semiconductor stocks fell after Nvidia disclosed the US govt has imposed a new license requirement, effective immediately, for any future export of high-end chips into China and Russia. - Source TradeTheNews.com

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Need to time it. Sell it at the end of the day, dips in the first 3 hours and starts moving back up. I'm sure this is pure gold advice that everyone should take advantage of.
Like magic.

Attachments

• B0277E07-C410-4A2A-9126-6E3A8FAD5575.png
    B0277E07-C410-4A2A-9126-6E3A8FAD5575.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 15

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shopping list today was SPY 390.5 (for IRA), AMZN 124.20 and TQQQ 26.30 for swing account.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users