Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why the market isn't flipping out over the 20Y and rising oil is beyond me. "Don't care!"
Season 5 Idk GIF by Friends

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They'll probably just drop another "greatest leap ever for Iphone over previous generation" that's barely distinquishable from the last, again.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
No, they’re going to deprecate their existing phones and force upgrades.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Lump sum and buy a corvette. Don’t listen to these fuddy duddys.
Ah the old "hookers and blow" retirement plan....

On another topic... How much should someone read into when a company chooses to announce earnings? Is before the bell better than after the bell? Is Monday better than Friday? Would Monday before the bell be most optimistic and Friday after the bell most likely to be trying to hope people don't notice going into the weekend? (like in political news...)

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Not a financial advisor, but here's one way to look at it:

First, we'll assume that even if your company does go under, your pension will be safe. I would expect that to be true or pretty close to true, but worth confirming.

Let's start with a more modest risk free rate. 20 year treasuries are at something like 4%, so we'll use a 4% interest rate.
First, we'll assume that once you hit 65, you want to draw a steady fixed monthly payment until you die 29 years later. So you do nothing but invest until 65, then you draw from your principal + interest at a fixed rate with the goal of making it $0 by 94.
At 65, you can choose from:
PlanWhat you start with at 65What you get monthly from 65 - 94What's left over when you're dead
A (Pension)$0 and 953/mo$953 = 953 + 0$0
B (Annuity)$123k and 312/mo$909 = 312 + 597$0
C (Lump Sum)$150k and 0/mo$731 = 0 + 731$0

Second, let's assume you live off interest + monthly payment at 65 and leave the nest egg to the kids:
PlanWhat you start with at 65What you get monthly from 65 - 94What's left over when you're dead
B (Annuity)$123k and 312/mo$722 = 312 + 410$123,000
C (Lump Sum)$150k and 0/mo$501 = 0 + 731$150,000

Third, let's assume you decide to reinvest everything until you die and leave it all to the kids:
A (Pension)$0 and 953/mo$0$624,000
B (Annuity)$123k and 312/mo$0$596,000
C (Lump Sum)$150k and 0/mo$0$479,000

The pension outperforms in the first and the third scenario, with the middle one depending on how frugal you want to be vs. what you want to leave behind.

But now, let's say you decide to take on additional risk yourself, reinvest in the market instead of in treasury bonds, and keep doing so into retirement. We'll use the 8% rate from your 401k, which is slightly below the historical S&P 500, but I'm also too lazy to change my compounding formula for stocks so it sort of evens out.
Steady fixed monthly payment until you die 29 years later:
B (Annuity)$203k and 312/mo$1,813 = 312 + 1501$0
C (Lump Sum)$347k and 0/mo$2,566 = 0 + 2566$0

Live off returns + monthly payment at 65 and leave the nest egg to the kids:
B (Annuity)$203k and 312/mo$1,665 = 312 + 1353$203,000
C (Lump Sum)$347k and 0/mo$2,312 = 0 + 2312$346,000

Reinvest everything until you die and leave it all to the kids:
A (Pension)$0 and 953/mo$0$1,301,000
B (Annuity)$203k and 312/mo$0$2,474,000
C (Lump Sum)$347k and 0/mo$0$3,502,000

If you have the appetite to ride or die in the market, Lump sum grossly outperforms; the more cash you can invest earlier, the better you can take advantage of your high risk tolerance.

Finally, let's look at the most realistic scenario: You invest in the market until you're 65 (8%), and then swap everything over to long-term treasury bonds (4%) so that you don't have to worry about a 'down year' impacting your cash flow:
Steady fixed monthly payment until you die 29 years later:
B (Annuity)$203k and 312/mo$1,298 = 312 + 986$0
C (Lump Sum)$347k and 0/mo$1,685 = 0 +1685$0

Live off interest + monthly payment at 65 and leave the nest egg to the kids:
B (Annuity)$203k and 312/mo$988 = 312 + 676$203,000
C (Lump Sum)$347k and 0/mo$1,156 = 0 +1156$346,000

Reinvest everything until you die and leave it all to the kids:
A (Pension)$0 and 953/mo$0$624,000
B (Annuity)$203k and 312/mo$0$850,000
C (Lump Sum)$347k and 0/mo$0$1,104,000

Again, lump sum outperforms across all categories here--the early benefit you get from having the lump sum sitting in the market for 20 years does get you to a place where risk free interest payments coming in post-retirement outpace the fixed pension.

As you can see, the rates matter a lot in how things model out. I think this scenario probably provides the best 'decision-making' view relative to your options.

TL;DR what would I do? Knowing I was working for 20 years and wanting to keep things simple, I would take the lump sum, direct rollover into an IRA, and purchase an index fund that tracks the market.

Here's the sheet I used to develop this chart if you want to screw around with different rates/longevity (or have someone else check my work. It's been awhile : /):

As a side note, good for you for working through investing in retirement. Put in as much as you're able as early as you can.

Thank you very much for this, this makes things pretty clear that the right thing to do is to grab this cash and do something important with it.

Now I guess I need to find a financial planner guy who doesn't suck ass and can personalize the spreadsheets and get me into the right fund.

And to everyone else that contributed to this discussion, thank you for your opinions as well. Thanks for giving me a direction to pursue to get this ball rolling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Thank you very much for this, this makes things pretty clear that the right thing to do is to grab this cash and do something important with it.

Now I guess I need to find a financial planner guy who doesn't suck ass and can personalize the spreadsheets and get me into the right fund.

And to everyone else that contributed to this discussion, thank you for your opinions as well. Thanks for giving me a direction to pursue to get this ball rolling.
As for doing something good with it. If you don't already own a home, I'd consider that depending on what the cash will get you around where you live. The price/value growth of my home has turned it into the most consistent investment I have honestly. heh And you will need somewhere to live when retired.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
As for doing something good with it. If you don't already own a home, I'd consider that depending on what the cash will get you around where you live. The price/value growth of my home has turned it into the most consistent investment I have honestly. heh And you will need somewhere to live when retired.

Yep - well, I "own" a home. I mean, the bank technically does, but it's my name on the deed.

And the house will be paid off before I retire. I had once planned on this being my last home, but I'm not sure now. Might need to head to a redder state. But in any case, I'm already set. Owe about 220, and the house is probably worth 350-400 at this point.

• 1Solidarity

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yep - well, I "own" a home. I mean, the bank technically does, but it's my name on the deed.

And the house will be paid off before I retire. I had once planned on this being my last home, but I'm not sure now. Might need to head to a redder state. But in any case, I'm already set. Owe about 220, and the house is probably worth 350-400 at this point.
I'm at a point soon of realizing a certain degree of a windfall, but not like yours. I'm planning on mine getting me land away from town to build my "retiring here and dying" home/bunker/compound on. Then Chez Haus here becomes a rental to feed income into that.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Do yourself a favor and don't pay a "professional" to pick your index fund/funds.

SPY
QQQ
ITOT

Any of the above or a mix of the three.

You can donate to me OnlyFans to say thanks.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Do yourself a favor and don't pay a "professional" to pick your index fund/funds.

SPY
QQQ
ITOT

Okay, but I still gotta find an institution to hold said money, and then figure out where it goes.

And then figure out why a spy is crying because it's only on the internet, or something.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Okay, but I still gotta find an institution to hold said money, and then figure out where it goes.

And then figure out why a spy is crying because it's only on the internet, or something.
Vanguard is a good option imo for just a buy and hold strategy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Vanguard, Fidelity, TD Ameritrade are some popular options. All very large institutions. Opening a retirement account is a 3 minute online process or you can call them to set up the account. Create a rollover IRA. Roll the pension fund dollars into it.

The actual account creation and transferring the pension fund limp sum they will do for you for no fees. Onxe the cash is in the account, anyone here can walk you through the process of making a trade ticket to use the cash to buy shares in an index fund.

It sounds complicated but the reality is this process of Goldshire easy.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, it's not the 90's anymore. It's super easy and you don't need to pay someone to skim 1% off the top for shittier results.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Vanguard, Fidelity, TD Ameritrade are some popular options. All very large institutions. Opening a retirement account is a 3 minute online process or you can call them to set up the account. Create a rollover IRA. Roll the pension fund dollars into it.

The actual account creation and transferring the pension fund limp sum they will do for you for no fees. Onxe the cash is in the account, anyone here can walk you through the process of making a trade ticket to use the cash to buy shares in an index fund.

It sounds complicated but the reality is this process of Goldshire easy.

Got it, thanks guys.

One more maybe dumb question....is this gonna be a Roth or a normal? Kinda thing is confusing when it wasn't my money to begin with, so I dunno if it's classified as pre tax or post tax.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Got it, thanks guys.

One more maybe dumb question....is this gonna be a Roth or a normal? Kinda thing is confusing when it wasn't my money to begin with, so I dunno if it's classified as pre tax or post tax.
IRA 101:
Traditional IRA uses pre-tax dollars going in and they get taxed when they come out.
Roth is the opposite. Uses already taxed dollars going in and they are untaxed coming out.

Since you pension is most likely untaxed at this point, it will go into a traditional IRA (rollover).

ps.. This is REALLY SUPER IMPORTANT.... Do NOT take possession of the fund yourself. Have the pension fund company transfer them directly to the broker you use. While technically, you have 59 days to take the funds yourself and put them in the new account, i can tell you horror stories of people who fucked this up. Do a direct rollover from one company to another and dont have the funds sent to you. Again, this sounds complicated but it super easy.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, it's not the 90's anymore. It's super easy and you don't need to pay someone to skim 1% off the top for shittier results.
If you think about it, we are truly pretty communistic in this sense. We freely share info and ideas to make money that Wallstreet charges for in the hopes of everyone doing well.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

SPY
QQQ
ITOT

It's funny looking at some comparisons of ETFs.
Like you can buy ITOT and pay 3 basis points.

OR you can buy IWV and pay 20 basis points for a worse return.

ITOT is on the left and IWV is on the right.

1691156722528.png

• 1Like