IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They're paying for the tests anyway. I just figured I could run through a practice test and blast it out by next week. I know it's not particularly valuable compared to a CCNA, but considering the total opportunity cost to me is is like 2 hours of my time.

I have nearly zero experience with Cisco. Most of our customers are either on their own data network that we don't manage, or if we do manage it, it's Juniper or Extreme with Fortinet firewalls.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What about Linux+? Quantity over quality for this company, at least promotion wise. None of the people who make budgets know what any of the certs actually mean, and they will pay for any test you want to take.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What about Linux+? Quantity over quality for this company, at least promotion wise. None of the people who make budgets know what any of the certs actually mean, and they will pay for any test you want to take.
CISSP if you can fake your way into it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
CISSP if you can fake your way into it.
Is that easy? It doesn't sound easy, but I'll put it on my radar. A 6 hour test does not sound enjoyable.

I'm not looking for particularly valuable certs, I'm looking for quantity of easy certs I can just easily bang out. They will pay for *any* test, and I generally test well.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is that easy? It doesn't sound easy, but I'll put it on my radar. A 6 hour test does not sound enjoyable.

I'm not looking for particularly valuable certs, I'm looking for quantity of easy certs I can just easily bang out. They will pay for *any* test, and I generally test well.
No one takes the full 6 hours and passes... I finished in just under 2:30, another guy finished in 1:45.

If you're not familiar with basic security stuff, it'll be hard. It's not a ton of technical questions, but there are a few questions that are tricky.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had a ton of BCP/DRP when I took the CISSP, like at least 35 questions. Some people say they seem to get heavy in other areas. I crammed for 2 weeks and passed it, but had worked in IT for a while so it wasn't as if I was going in blind.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is it more of a business process type thing and not a technical test? Like best practices?

On a similar note for non-technical certs, I will probably bang out ITIL Foundation since we have all the study materials on our training platform already.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is it more of a business process type thing and not a technical test? Like best practices?

On a similar note for non-technical certs, I will probably bang out ITIL Foundation since we have all the study materials on our training platform already.
Virtually no business process :p

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

ITIL is one of those things that after you do it all you can see is how fucked up everything is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've got an MCSE, VCP and some advanced EMC storage certs that no one ever gives much of a shit about but that ITIL foundation cert I was forced to get a couple of years ago every hiring manager comments on and loves o_O.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So the next bit in expanding my application at GM. Process refinement across multiple teams is pretty AIDS.

But I honestly blame TFS and its Wild West of data organization bullshit for most of that. Next month or so I'm going to have to, get consensus from about 12 different managers on exactly how they need to be doing everything. Most of them are already doing what I want, as they want the reporting. But the director wants their actual input and revisions to be made before we go ahead with the new dev effort.

This should be fun. It will never cease to amaze me how much different shit each team wants... to report the same shit each of these teams is doing.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have got to find another project or tech to learn. I am going out of my mind here with boredom at work.

I think today is dedicated on finding a sec+ and ccna brain dump and just taking those tests.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have got to find another project or tech to learn. I am going out of my mind here with boredom at work.

I think today is dedicated on finding a sec+ and ccna brain dump and just taking those tests.
Look into home automation with the RPi. Bonus if your kids like that stuff

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

Take Windows Nano Server for a spin. I've got them set up as hyper-v hosts right now. They'd be even better as container hosts.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'll post an example of what some of mine do later, but it isn't like a super intelligent/fancy report. I spent a few hours creating them in SSRS and called it good. If I actually get the keys to the kingdom and can directly query our databases I'll start using Tableau because its prettier. It just shows the milestones/defects/performance results/test results with a red/yellow/green indicator calculation for all of it. When they email out via SharePoint that's when the team can act on them if there's failures and defects and shit.

Our enterprise tools team doesn't let you do that though. But you can still query through the API and they're too dumb to realize that. My local DB I designed for this is much more streamlined than the 3 different systems I would have to design queries to get what I currently have. But I don't want to generate an pseudo-OLAP like I'm doing now if I don't have to in the future.

You guys already have Tableau in-house? If not have you played w/ MS powerBI? Worth a look IMO, especially since you seem to have other MS stuff running.

On a side note, I have direct query for our CRM and ERP, but SSRS is only used for a 3rd party industry specific reporting from the ERP.