IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My favorite was when I interned and some dude was rustled I could bench more than him. So he put up a line graph in his cubical marking his max bench press over the year and sent out a monthly email blast (with like 30 people on it) about how his workouts are going. On my last week he decided to challenge me to a benching competition. I worked out at the office bench so he knew what I generally did but I never maxed at work because I worked out alone. I don't exactly remember how much more I benched than him but the interns who were still there said he started to talk shit about how I used improper form and thats why I could bench more than him.

Tenks

Yeah sitting next to the office hottie can sometimes be very hilarious and simultaneously annoying

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I can oly more than you!!! maybe not =)

I dont take pride on the crossfit movements. I do take pride on the Oly lifts and PRs from it. I couldn't care less that i can do fran in XYZ; I do care that i finally hit #235 in clean and jerk.

Tenks

All jokes and hate about crossfit aside at least it has inspired some people to actually get off their asses and do something. I'm always a proponent of "just do what you enjoy" instead of trying to fret over what the best and most efficient workout is. Like running? Go run. Like lifting weights? Lift weights. Like horrible form and inefficient workouts? Do crossfit. Some girl I worked with back in HS lost a good 150 pounds after she joined the cult of crossfit. And good for her. It is better than some 250lb dude on the internet going "Har har crossfit is so gay" while he stuffs another Dorito in his mouth.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
For those of you who hate agile, is it because it is being used as a marketing term to sell the company kinda like people do with crossfit? "Oh I do this so I'm awesome and it works" but in reality they are completely inept. I see a lot of companies throwing the term around but not actually implementing the manifesto.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
In case you guys haven't noticed, by jimmies do get rustled when people use crossfit in comparison to something not even remotely similar.

moontayle

Golden Squire
For those of you who hate agile, is it because it is being used as a marketing term to sell the company kinda like people do with crossfit? "Oh I do this so I'm awesome and it works" but in reality they are completely inept. I see a lot of companies throwing the term around but not actually implementing the manifesto.
I'm going with marketing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In case you guys haven't noticed, by jimmies do get rustled when people use crossfit in comparison to something not even remotely similar.
It was a joke.

Around here everyone goes bananas for scrum and talks about it non-stop. It's the same thing with crossfit, the first rule of crossfit is to talk about crossfit.. it's also the 2nd-50th rule.

I won't argue the merits of crossfitting, last thing I want to do is argue crossfit with a crossfitter who will out crossfit me at crossfit.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
What an awful derail.

I do a pretty lazy version of Agile at work currently (and used to do a more strict version). I really don't see why people get in an uproar about it, either for or against.

For those who don't use it, what's your alternative -- a waterfall model, free for all? If you can get higher-ups to buy in to accepting the Agile methodology, I think it's overall a fairly positive thing. I definitely don't experience anything like a semi-permanent crunch time.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Kanban is what I currently used. It measn i pick the stories, i have no time table, then I have to merge only that code.
Pros i work at my own pace. Cons, merging is a nightmare, as stuff goes in production out of order.