IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Now that I get to thinking... I should break out the addons into their own json file and add the ability to pass an alternate one to the program. By doing so, we could actually host json files on the web and allow people to pass in a url and just download all those addons. It would be cool for a raid leader...

edit: I should also probably move my chatter about this to another thread https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/addon-updater.7449/.

Last edited:

moontayle

Golden Squire
ShakyJake ShakyJake I feel for ya bro. Not nearly as bad but I'm currently in the midst of a "small" project that's being built as a workaround for a deficiency in our front end with regards to displaying web pages. Said front end was built in ActionScript and runs through Adobe Air. We've had customers complain about not being able to see an assigned web page because whatever Air is using to stage the view just can't handle whatever's there on the page. Most of the time it can be displayed in a browser on the device though. So the current solution is for me to built a separate natively-run activity in one of our other apps solely for the displaying of web pages. When one comes up in the schedule, our front end will fire up my new activity, display for however long it's needed, then hand things back off to the front end.

I've done a small number of hacky things to get around the fact that our front end app can be unreliable at times, including a situation that requires the outright uninstallation of the app followed by a reboot, after which it will be reinstalled. This one might take the cake though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
ShakyJake ShakyJake

Damn man. That is shitty. I get that Silverlight isn't being supported. I barely have any experience with it myself. If you're just doing research maybe you can vet something that does support these kind of features that isn't fucktarded like most of these rapid fire web tools they're cranking out these days.

Is that even a possibility or are they in pants on head mode now?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
ShakyJake ShakyJake

Damn man. That is shitty. I get that Silverlight isn't being supported. I barely have any experience with it myself. If you're just doing research maybe you can vet something that does support these kind of features that isn't fucktarded like most of these rapid fire web tools they're cranking out these days.

Is that even a possibility or are they in pants on head mode now?

Research is over. They are now full-steam ahead with development. So at this point I doubt there's any changing course. I mean, if we DID decide to do something different then it would mean that the research team completely wasted a year -- and I doubt anyone on that team would admit to that. They'll keep acting like everything's cool. That meme with the dog proclaiming, "This is fine." with the house burning down is exactly them.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Research is over. They are now full-steam ahead with development. So at this point I doubt there's any changing course. I mean, if we DID decide to do something different then it would mean that the research team completely wasted a year -- and I doubt anyone on that team would admit to that. They'll keep acting like everything's cool. That meme with the dog proclaiming, "This is fine." with the house burning down is exactly them.

Then this is a tight fucking spot. You're going to have to develop in house libraries to do all these calculation/excel type features on a framework that may not even support it and get them to work in your tool. Going to need to get real creative about now.

I mean, I can't be sure with just your summary here. But that definitely sounds like what's about to happen.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
For those with experience in either or both platforms:

If you HAD to work with either Siebel or People Soft which would you prefer?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For those with experience in either or both platforms:

If you HAD to work with either Siebel or People Soft which would you prefer?

I've worked with People Soft a lot here and its okay for what it does. I've never used Siebel.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
You're going to have to develop in house libraries to do all these calculation/excel type features

That's pretty much it, yep. Which isn't realistic. Creating UI widgets that "feel" right and aren't buggy pieces of shit is hard (not to mention on a platform we're unfamiliar with). Like I said, our development staff isn't that talented. What they're asking is akin to NASA management demanding their engineers create a FTL drive.

SirJames

Golden Squire
I've come here to rant because I have no one else to share my frustrations with that understands what the fuck I'm talking about.

So our company's application is a Silverlight app that is quickly becoming a problem because newer browsers are not allowing the plug-in to function. Having said that, Silverlight was actually pretty damn great because it was a complete Microsoft framework based on .NET, so development was pretty easy for the most part.

About a year ago we formed a research group that looked into the various technologies out there to decide which to migrate to. Late this summer they revealed that we would begin moving new features to a web app built on Angular 2. So, I was moved to a new team to begin development on an application framework built on Angular 2 and ASP.NET Core MVC for the new features.

I'm already somewhat familiar with other web technologies out there -- I've worked with ASP.NET MVC, Node with Express, Handlebars, Typescript, and KnockoutJS, Bootstrap 3, etc. Stuff that's been out there for a while. I'm no expert, but I've created a few helper apps for our company built on some of this stuff.

But, man, this Angular 2 stuff so far has been AWFUL. A total lesson in frustration. Half our time is spent Googling around trying to figure out why X, Y, or Z isn't working. Documentation is terrible and a lot of the information out there is outdated since so many breaking changes have been introduced to the framework over the course of it's development (by the way, it was just RECENTLY released. So this entire past year the research team has been fucking around with alpha and beta versions).

What pisses me off the most is that the ONE thing our application most commonly does is display data in a table/grid. We actually need a pretty full featured datagrid -- something that allows sorting, filtering, exporting of data in CSV or Excel, etc. NONE OF THIS EXISTS yet for Angular 2. Our feature team has mocked up this super fancy datagrid and I'm like, "UHM, do you actually think we are supposed to create this?" Entire businesses are built around creating feature-rich widgets. Believe me, our development staff isn't that talented. I know I'm not.

And that's the crux of the issue for me. They were so paranoid about going with a framework that will be out dated at some point that they went with something so new that it's not only buggy but lacking supporting features that are integral to our application. Now they're breathing down our neck to get this shit prepared for an actual feature addition but, oh well, sorry there is no datagrid, datepicker, etc. etc. out there yet for Angular 2 (at least one that's based on the new material 2 design -- can't use Boostrap or JqueryUI widgets FYI).

Fuck, man. Someone should be fired over this horrible decision.

angular-datatables

I would be plugging DataTables into this thing, even if its a medium amount of work, will pay off.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
This would be a job as a Microsoft Solutions Architect. So nothing development oriented.

Well, honestly, it's a junior position on our Microsoft solutions team. I have no idea which direction it will lead because it's a relatively new direction for the company. We're trying to distance ourselves from Avaya because... Avaya.

It's not going to matter anyway, because my boss's boss will never release me from my position, but I'd at least like to fully qualify for it before getting denied for maximum butthurt sake.
So it turns out this job would be setting up Exchange/UM environments and other Exchange integrations for customers all day long every day.

I might just want to stick with fixing shit.

moontayle

Golden Squire
We've moved into the recent past as far as VCS is concerned. Primary method is Sourcesafe, which was discontinued in 2005. Now we're up to TFS 2015 as of this week.

I don't think I've seen a place move so slow to adopt modern practices since my time in the Navy.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
We've moved into the recent past as far as VCS is concerned. Primary method is Sourcesafe, which was discontinued in 2005. Now we're up to TFS 2015 as of this week.

I don't think I've seen a place move so slow to adopt modern practices since my time in the Navy.

Haha wow, Sourcesafe. Well, if it makes you feel any better, a certain service of our application is running VB6 code. We have to keep Windows XP VMs around in order to run the IDE.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Half of my company uses TFS (which has badass Source Control features) the other half is old people who mostly used to work at HP and only want to use Tortoise SVN... boggles the fucking mind.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So it turns out this job would be setting up Exchange/UM environments and other Exchange integrations for customers all day long every day.

I might just want to stick with fixing shit.
Not only that, but isn't O365 sort of wrecking that?

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
If I was strictly an exchange person, I'd be worried because why would anyone want to deal with all of exchange's bullshit when o365 is such a better solution?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Half of my company uses TFS (which has badass Source Control features) the other half is old people who mostly used to work at HP and only want to use Tortoise SVN... boggles the fucking mind.

I've seen a lot places implement TFS to basically only do what SVN does. In which case, I'd way rather use SVN as well.

I've worked with dudes who refuse to learn how to use a debugger as well because they can just write print statements to debug.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Not only that, but isn't O365 sort of wrecking that?

You want lol? I've had 4-5 clients come to me and beg us to offer a "hosted exchange" solution..

So we buy O365 accounts under their name/domain (that we register), charge 'em cost for the mailbox licenses and charge setup/maintenance fees....While explaining exactly what we're doing...And they're super happy to pay that shit....its "if we can just submit a ticket and get you guys to fix/setup shit, we're happy to write a check"