Joker: Folie à Deux (2024)

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
No, they didn't. Where are you getting these ridiculous numbers? That would be close to the most expensive film of all time.
it was in the video linked in this thread right before this post, from an article in Forbes magazine.

edit: here you lazy shit:

Also that would be "run of the mill" not anywhere close to most expensive of all time. Plenty of movies are 200-300 million nowadays just on production and X2 for the marketing budget.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
it was in the video linked in this thread right before this post, from an article in Forbes magazine.

edit: here you lazy shit:

Also that would be "run of the mill" not anywhere close to most expensive of all time. Plenty of movies are 200-300 million nowadays just on production and X2 for the marketing budget.

Convenient to change article to video. Yeah, I don't watch long ass videos so thanks for the pinpoint link.

That said, that's completely misinterpreted by you and others. It literally says the break even is 500m. You don't know what you're talking about. That is NOT the budget + marketing. Domestic theaters take 30-50%, overseas more. If the production and marketing budget was actually $500 million, the break even point would be closer to a billion. So no, they did not spend 500M in budget and marketing.

Last edited:

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
dude the entire video is 1:17 long. What is your Adderall prescription up to if you think that is some "Long ass video"

And yeah you are right it was breakeven amount not total budget. The production budget was north of 200mil so that means the marketing was only around 50mil which tbh sounds about right, not seeing tons of advertisements for this travesty (they know its shit and won't make any money). Current predictions are less than 100mil domestic and 250mil total WW so this movie is looking to lose WB around 150mil dollars.

Still though between production and marketing 500mil is not out of line for modern blockbusters, that is pretty much the new standard for any tentpole film. We've lived under 25%+ inflation for 4 years in a row where the cost of damn near everything doubled plus multiple hollywood strikes from writers and actors and people are surprised movie costs went from 300-400mil to 500mil+?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
Still though between production and marketing 500mil is not out of line for modern blockbusters, that is pretty much the new standard for any tentpole film. We've lived under 25%+ inflation for 4 years in a row where the cost of damn near everything doubled plus multiple hollywood strikes from writers and actors and people are surprised movie costs went from 300-400mil to 500mil+?
Sounds like...YGWYFD.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Convenient to change article to video. Yeah, I don't watch long ass videos so thanks for the pinpoint link.

That said, that's completely misinterpreted by you and others. It literally says the break even is 500m. You don't know what you're talking about. That is NOT the budget + marketing. Domestic theaters take 30-50%, overseas more. If the production and marketing budget was actually $500 million, the break even point would be closer to a billion. So no, they did not spend 500M in budget and marketing.
It's a 200 million dollar production. Probably at least another 100 million for marketing. It could be more than that . It would need at least 600 mil to break even. It's not getting that. It will be a while before it breaks 100m. It's likely going to be streaming by the end of the month.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Now I'm confused. The percentage of money that a theater gets versus what the studio gets changes week to week. The more time goes by the larger the share for the theater. What good are estimates based on the amount of money it needs to make at the box office to break even when a ticket today is not the same value as a ticket next week which is not the same as the value of a ticket the week after that?

40m opening weekend means it's going to need a fuck load more than 450m to break even because all the math changes every week. I see how I misunderstood what the break even estimate was relative to cost to produce and market but thinking about it more it makes even less sense.

edit -

1728241629610.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Now I'm confused. The percentage of money that a theater gets versus what the studio gets changes week to week. The more time goes by the larger the share for the theater. What good are estimates based on the amount of money it needs to make at the box office to break even when a ticket today is not the same value as a ticket next week which is not the same as the value of a ticket the week after that?

40m opening weekend means it's going to need a fuck load more than 450m to break even because all the math changes every week. I see how I misunderstood what the break even estimate was relative to cost to produce and market but thinking about it more it makes even less sense.

edit -

View attachment 550969
Theaters usually take half of what movies produced and that amount increases as time goes on. 50% first week, 55% the second week and so on. Movie studios need to make most of their money back in the first few weeks because it will be less likely the longer it's in theaters. That's why flops are gone from theaters after a few weeks and then get put on VOD or streaming services.

DickTrickle

dude the entire video is 1:17 long. What is your Adderall prescription up to if you think that is some "Long ass video"

And yeah you are right it was breakeven amount not total budget. The production budget was north of 200mil so that means the marketing was only around 50mil which tbh sounds about right, not seeing tons of advertisements for this travesty (they know its shit and won't make any money). Current predictions are less than 100mil domestic and 250mil total WW so this movie is looking to lose WB around 150mil dollars.

Well, you said article at first and I went looking for that and found nothing so I was already salty. It was indeed the rare short video but I never watch videos here and the mobile browser doesn't show runtimes.

I didn't think it was an absurd number because movie costs are high, but because previously I'd read the budget was closer to 200 million, so I knew there was no chance 300 million was spent on marketing. People misread break even numbers a lot.

DickTrickle

edit -

View attachment 550969
Every break even number you see reported is just an estimate and you're right that everything can vary pretty widely for movie to movie. It's just a good rule of thumb for people who don't have the actual numbers to estimate if a movie is going to do well or not.

In this case, though, it won't even be close. It's a big ass flop.

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
No. I saw them filming this movie in early 2023. After Gunn came on board. This is a DC film. It doesn't matter what universe it is. It's his fucking job to be in charge of DC properties.

This film is not under the umbrella of the DCEU. It's not in Gunns wheelhouse.

Even though I think he's a weirdo and a freak he carries no blame for this garbage.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Every break even number you see reported is just an estimate and you're right that everything can vary pretty widely for movie to movie. It's just a good rule of thumb for people who don't have the actual numbers to estimate if a movie is going to do well or not.

So they're willing to cop to a 200m or so budget plus marketing. Marketing is typically half the production budget. I don't watch TV and I use adblock so I have no idea if this one felt more or less marketed than anything else. Getting half of each ticket is still some big fucking oofs.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This film is not under the umbrella of the DCEU. It's not in Gunns wheelhouse.

Even though I think he's a weirdo and a freak he carries no blame for this garbage.
I am not buying that Gunn has no responsibility for a 200 million dollar film that was filmed for DC after he became head of the studio. If he isn't responsible for it then who the fuck is and what does Gunn even do?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's a 200 million dollar production. Probably at least another 100 million for marketing. It could be more than that . It would need at least 600 mil to break even. It's not getting that. It will be a while before it breaks 100m. It's likely going to be streaming by the end of the month.

200 million just to film a scene where he's getting his cheeks blown out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am not buying that Gunn has no responsibility for a 200 million dollar film that was filmed for DC after he became head of the studio. If he isn't responsible for it then who the fuck is and what does Gunn even do?

Pretty sure he has an agreement to leave the Robert Pattinson Batman sequel alone also. I remember when he signed on reading that there's certain projects in motion that he can't touch.

It was pushed a year after Gunn's Superman comes out into 2026.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure he has an agreement to leave the Robert Pattinson Batman sequel alone also. I remember when he signed on reading that there's certain projects in motion that he can't touch.

It was pushed a year after Gunn's Superman comes out into 2026.
Chuk has dug in. Prepare for a retard storm of posts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Joker is literally raped in this.

This honestly seems like a pepe frog case. Establishment is butthurt the wrong people "liked" the first one so they are purposely destroying it.
is this why jaquin faggot dropped out of a gay movie, cuz he was already raped in joker 2?