JRPGs

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just be careful as I've heard the demo actually does a poor job of selling the game. The people I know playing it love it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I thought the demo was really poor overall and turned me off. Going to pick it up once I find a good sale.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The demo got patched to fix some of the stutter problems and from watching streamers play either PS5 or Steam it seems like the full version had none of those issues.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Etrian Odyssey Hd - 7/10. Not bad, good old grinder with some flaws but all in all a good time if you like this type of game.

Etrian Odyssey 2 HD - 3.5/10. Everything wrong with the dungeon grind genre in a nice neat little package. Not sure I am going to get through this one, it's just so boring, overly grindy, the FOEs don't give experience (wtf?), bizarrely balanced, both the hexer and alchemist are fucking terrible, healing is even worse this time, and it's just not fun.

Etrian Odyssey 3 HD - ?/10. I haven't played this and after getting to level 30 and floor 9 in 2 and hating the game I am not sure I am going to play 3 unless it is a VAST improvement on 2.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Etrian Odyssey Hd - 7/10. Not bad, good old grinder with some flaws but all in all a good time if you like this type of game.

Etrian Odyssey 2 HD - 3.5/10. Everything wrong with the dungeon grind genre in a nice neat little package. Not sure I am going to get through this one, it's just so boring, overly grindy, the FOEs don't give experience (wtf?), bizarrely balanced, both the hexer and alchemist are fucking terrible, healing is even worse this time, and it's just not fun.

Etrian Odyssey 3 HD - ?/10. I haven't played this and after getting to level 30 and floor 9 in 2 and hating the game I am not sure I am going to play 3 unless it is a VAST improvement on 2.

Hexer is like the most OP class in 2HD. The thing with classes in 2 is that the ailment/bind skills kinda suck until you max out the skill, which can be hard to do at low levels when TP is a problem. Once hexer gets shit like torpor/poison maxed out they can completely shutdown or kill most every random encounter. That's not including what they can do with revenge cheese, and dampen/frailty are very strong debuffs.

But yeah 2 is kinda considered the worst entry as they did a 180 from the first game; 1 encouraged a more defense party with medic immuzine being super broken. 2 is more kill or be killed in that as they nerfed a lot of the strats that worked in 1. FOEs giving no exp in 2 was dumb as shit though, they didn't like people just killing FOEs in 1 and wanted them to be more of a puzzle you had to solve. Doesn't help that quests give no exp either.

3 is better than 1 and 2. You get subclassing with a bunch of new classes. FOEs give exp again and quests finally also give exp. There is a ship minigame on top of the dungeon exploration that can help break up the gameplay a little bit. Just a better overall package imo.

• 1Like

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I never got why they went with plain EO 1 & 2 for the HD versions. The Untold versions were so much better on 3DS.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I can only assume they wanted to bring 3 over and since it didn't get an Untold remake like 1 and 2 they just went with the OG games for consistency.

There are a decent amount of changes in the HD remakes though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
New gameplay footage. It does look interesting.

Art direction wise, this is the best-looking video game I've ever seen. It reminds me of Guild Wars 2's original art direction, but way better and obviously brought up to modern fidelity standards.

Gameplay might suck and they might make a shitty game, but someone else should hire their entire art team immediately if that happens.

Popped in this thread because I am also hearing good things about VoM after ignoring it mostly.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Random, but is there a way to play Xenogears on pc? Suddenly have desire to play it - wish they would remaster that and Zone of Enders 2nd Runner

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Oh Yeah GIF by Leroy Patterson

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

Had to lower the monster stats in Chained Echoes. The game felt way too hard to be fun once I got a little further. Monsters almost killed my party members in one hit. I had all weapons and armor upgraded and skills at lvl 2.

I dont play games to be frustrated so I just lowered the monster stats and aggression and it felt way better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Link isn't showing.

Best way I know of to play Xenogears at this point is getting it for $10 on PS3's digital network (while that's still up, who knows if it disappears at some point). Replaying that game is on my list of things to do before I croak.

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Link isn't showing.
What link? You can talk about piracy on reddit but you can't link to ROMs (or PS1 disk images in this case). Google will get it for you easily though.

For Retroarch itself you just grab the latest version from their website and set it up the way the post says to.

I installed it for the hell of it, this is what the game looks like for me:

Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)-240909-123525.png

Personally I think CRT scanlines are a must for PSX era games so I modified the settings a bit further to what I normally use:
Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)-240909-124745.png

Best way I know of to play Xenogears at this point is getting it for $10 on PS3's digital network (while that's still up, who knows if it disappears at some point). Replaying that game is on my list of things to do before I croak.
How many people still have a PS3 or Vita though?

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Random, but is there a way to play Xenogears on pc? Suddenly have desire to play it - wish they would remaster that and Zone of Enders 2nd Runner

I recently found someone on ebay that sets up and loads everything with ES-DS onto an Ayn Odin 2. He was able to add the specific games I asked for.. The form factor is great and everything came working and loaded. Playing Mega Man Legends now on it and was gonna do a Xenogears at some point on it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What link? You can talk about piracy on reddit but you can't link to ROMs (or PS1 disk images in this case). Google will get it for you easily though.

Oh, it's showing now. The whole post was like a "not found" bubble yesterday but now it's there.

Xenogears is so, so good. I've played it 4x ever: Once in 1998 when it came out (and I hated it, as my TV didn't work right with PS1 and that pretty much ruined the visuals/music). Again in late-1999 / early-2000 on a new TV that worked right, loved the game that time. Then again in 2005 or so after playing the Xenosaga trilogy, realized it might be my favorite RPG. Then again in 2014 or so just out of nostalgia.

Weird thing is that my favorite game of the PS4 era, Bloodborne, also started out as something I hated, until I "got it".

Come to think of it, I'm due up for another Xenogears, it's been a decade. Some time in the next year probably but I need to be in the right mindset for it and clear like a week of my schedule. Xenogears is that damn good.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Never tried that emu. Downloaded it on steam, but I can't find all the options it says I should config in the reddit post.

I think I have the right core and put it on.

I also can't find the options to turn on that are shown in the image of the texture replacements.

EDIT: Loaded wrong core.... So found all graphics options, still not found the texture replacement options.

Last edited:

Aazrael

Was there ever an end to the Xenosaga? I think Only played the first all the way through and maybe started on the second game but quit due to selling the PS2(3?).

Got all the Dragon Quest sorted now on the Steam Deck emulators and the DSi XL I stumbled over for $50. Will wait for the remasters to come out and start there then do the rest in order. Will only miss X but it was an MMO or something?