JRPGs

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Think I'm halfway through Chrono Trigger now. It really has some interesting fights here and there. Some Bosses feel way more advanced than other games from this period. The Golem was a piece of shit and almost wrecked me good.

Started fiddling with the Steam Deck to try out NDS games and got it working and also found an overlay that I modified myself to fit the screen.

Heres a test of DQ4 DS version.

PXL_20240817_134944409.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Finished Chrono Trigger at around 22 hours. I did most if not all sidequests, might have missed something but I felt pretty done.

The last bosses felt a bit easier than some in the middle. Chrono, Robo and UngaBunga Lady carried me through the whole thing.

10/10 game

I think I will do Chained Echoes next. A modern game then back to Dragon Quest retro games.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Think I'm halfway through Chrono Trigger now. It really has some interesting fights here and there. Some Bosses feel way more advanced than other games from this period. The Golem was a piece of shit and almost wrecked me good.

Started fiddling with the Steam Deck to try out NDS games and got it working and also found an overlay that I modified myself to fit the screen.

Heres a test of DQ4 DS version.

View attachment 541992

Golem Twins is the hardest fight in CT and absolutely obliterated me as a kid.

They copy the elements you use on them and retaliate with these huge AOEs, or they'll just stand there casting HP-halving iron balls if you do nothing. You can get these elemental armors that absorb damage, then just use that element and win the fight easily, but I didn't know that as a kid. All those elemental armors are pretty well-hidden. And if you didn't find them already, backtracking out of rhe Ocean Palace takes a while.

I actually suggest doing the fight without the armors because it's totally winnable and one of the few actual challenges the game offers.

Giga Gaia is probably the 2nd-toughest for me for similar reasons.

I never used Robo much and always thought he was the sole character in the game who was a bit of a step down from the others (in a game with incredible character balance). He's basically the jack of all trades type who uses Shadow-type damage until you get the guy who's actually good at it. Was never sure why there were two Water elemental characters instead of making Marle "Ice" either.

My main party later on is Crono/Marle/Ayla. Pretty much an invincible party. Can go Crono Confuse / others Cube Toss for huge single target damage, or have Marle heal while others use Volt Bite. In the lategame Volt Bite and Cube Toss are two of the strongest moves.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I did this with colored pencils when I was like 12 or 13. So much free time in the summers…

IMG_3930.jpeg

• 16Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 16 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Can a Wakandan get a Parasite Eve remake? is that too much to ask for? Toss in Legend of Dragoon and Legend of Lagaia

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Public sentiment or nostalgia for franchises of old do nothing, unless there's a producer at the company willing to grab a franchise and run with it no one is sticking their neck out for other properties they had no part in creating. If the original crews haven't retired, died, or swapped brands they are the only ones that could.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Golem Twins is the hardest fight in CT and absolutely obliterated me as a kid.

They copy the elements you use on them and retaliate with these huge AOEs, or they'll just stand there casting HP-halving iron balls if you do nothing. You can get these elemental armors that absorb damage, then just use that element and win the fight easily, but I didn't know that as a kid. All those elemental armors are pretty well-hidden. And if you didn't find them already, backtracking out of rhe Ocean Palace takes a while.

I actually suggest doing the fight without the armors because it's totally winnable and one of the few actual challenges the game offers.

Giga Gaia is probably the 2nd-toughest for me for similar reasons.

I never used Robo much and always thought he was the sole character in the game who was a bit of a step down from the others (in a game with incredible character balance). He's basically the jack of all trades type who uses Shadow-type damage until you get the guy who's actually good at it. Was never sure why there were two Water elemental characters instead of making Marle "Ice" either.

My main party later on is Crono/Marle/Ayla. Pretty much an invincible party. Can go Crono Confuse / others Cube Toss for huge single target damage, or have Marle heal while others use Volt Bite. In the lategame Volt Bite and Cube Toss are two of the strongest moves.

I always end up going crono/magus/marle. Like you said stuff gets pretty easy later on especially if you grind out some levels and tabs, and magus is just cooler than Tarzanne and has access to elements.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Can a Wakandan get a Parasite Eve remake? is that too much to ask for? Toss in Legend of Dragoon and Legend of Lagaia

Good news, Legend of Dragoon has an HD remaster and it's on the PS5 store right now for like $8. It also looks sharp AF.

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that DQ 1-3 are getting remakes. Might just wait and emulate the Switch versions on the Steam Deck. It seems DQ 3 is coming out first then 1 and 2 early next year?

And yea the Golem twins was the only fight I almost lost, took lots of Life and healing to plow through them. I put all the Tabs into Crono and I liked Robo for the group heal. The 3rd spot could have been whoever but the Ungabunga girls felt easy to use. I liked the Frog also but he felt kinda similar to Crono.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Crono, Robo, Frog. Triple Raid everything in your path.

Triple Raid is, IIRC, the triple tech you can get the earliest by a good margin. Most of the triple techs require moves that are high in the character movesets, like 6/7/8 out of 8. Triple Raid on the other hand requires Crono and Frog's second moves and Robo's (IIRC) 4th move. So basically the minute Robo gets Tackle, you can use Triple Raid. It almost seems like an oversight that Triple Raid can be used so early. Absolutely obliterates bosses in Magus' Castle.

Welp, dammit, now I need to play CT again at some point... or something new. What modern game best captures that CT mood? Sea of Stars, Chained Echoes, I Am Setsuna, Eiyuden Chronicles, something else?

Noodleface Noodleface PE's short yeah, and not a particularly deep RPG. The reason it's beloved is that it has a certain mood about it that got us good when we were teenagers. There's this "NYC in winter" setting, the soundtrack is moody, the Chrysler Building is the big optional dungeon... it all just sorta gives you these warm fuzzies if you grew up with it. I never played the second PE and to this day it's one of like five or so PS1 games I have on my "still need to play" list.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I came back and finished FF6 finally on saturday, pretty great final boss in terms of visuals but hilariously easy (as is the entire game and pretty much every FF game in that era) but very cool depiction of how kefka views himself as a god lol

Now im fiending for another jrpg but cant decide what on the backlog and also just kinda wanna replay FF10.

Tales of Arise
FF7 Remake
Octopath Traveler 2
Sea of Stars
SMT4:V

Too much shit, too little time lol then theres new shit coming out in Nov/Oct as well hnnghhh

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

I came back and finished FF6 finally on saturday, pretty great final boss in terms of visuals but hilariously easy (as is the entire game and pretty much every FF game in that era) but very cool depiction of how kefka views himself as a god lol

Now im fiending for another jrpg but cant decide what on the backlog and also just kinda wanna replay FF10.

Tales of Arise
FF7 Remake
Octopath Traveler 2
Sea of Stars
SMT4:V

Too much shit, too little time lol then theres new shit coming out in Nov/Oct as well hnnghhh
I loaded my Wishlist on steam with JRPGs and combined with some SNES Emulation I'm close to being overwhelmed and not playing anything at all. Finishing CT started the ball rolling though. Was going to buy and start Chained Echoes but been feeling like total crap and tired the last two days so will start it later this week.

I went back and played some First Descendant and D4 this weekend and felt in my bones that lives service games are not for me anymore. Just filled with FOMO and microtransaction shit.

Chained Echoes -> Sea of Stars -> Persona 5 is the game plan now. It really helps having my Steam Deck to play these "old school" games. Lie down in bed and got some white noise show in the background and just enjoy the story.

After that I might dabble in some PoE2 to check it out and then go balls deep into Dragon Quest, either remake or just do the SNES versions.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
I loaded my Wishlist on steam with JRPGs and combined with some SNES Emulation I'm close to being overwhelmed and not playing anything at all. Finishing CT started the ball rolling though. Was going to buy and start Chained Echoes but been feeling like total crap and tired the last two days so will start it later this week.

I went back and played some First Descendant and D4 this weekend and felt in my bones that lives service games are not for me anymore. Just filled with FOMO and microtransaction shit.

Chained Echoes -> Sea of Stars -> Persona 5 is the game plan now. It really helps having my Steam Deck to play these "old school" games. Lie down in bed and got some white noise show in the background and just enjoy the story.

After that I might dabble in some PoE2 to check it out and then go balls deep into Dragon Quest, either remake or just do the SNES versions.
I think im like half way through Sea of Stars so i might just finish that up quickly

Honestly you could probably play both of those games inbetween P5R because its so fucking long it could be a good way to break it up. I ended up taking a break at like 50 or 60 hours for awhile then went back to finish it

I fucked up and didnt finish the councilor link so i missed out on all Royal story, so i need to go back and do that again one day

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Getting the “good and final” ending to sea of stars takes some time… get a guide heh.

It’s also not worth it, they totally dropped the ball on the ending