JRPGs

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I missed out on alot of RPGs in general due to being a late bloomer to the genre - However i did like JRPGs enough to plow through the majority of what came out afterwards. Super Mario RPG was something i enjoyed quite a bit back in the days. Now it seems for somethin fresh and new i have to wait on that dark horse coming out in 2025.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

That French RPG looks good until the "system" - I am still an old fuddy duddy wanting a turn based RPG of olden times... so old games I just play or replay.

Needless

Toe Sucker

Free DLC for Sea of Stars in march is kinda sick, definitely hinting at suplexing a train lmao

• 2Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I really like Chained Echoes. Still in the intro part and learning how the overdrive system works, mess up a lot. But I guess it gets easier to manage with more skills and more party members.

I love that you refill HP and TP between fights. I hope that stays through the game.

Any tips on good party members to aim for or are all needed/used? I assume you get a few extras as you can switch during fights.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I tried to start SMT3: Nocturne last week. Did the first dungeon and first boss. What an insanely bland game, with waaaay too much talking. I just want a Persona-like centered around dungeon crawling, where the demons are your party members instead of just move summons. The first dungeon was so sterile and boring that it pretty much made me uninterested in continuing. Maybe it gets better, or maybe SMT4 would be more my style? I liked the couple hours I played of SMT5 a lot.

My switch is failing me… chrono …cross? Ahh

CC is a quasi-sequel to CT. It's pretty interesting for its time, but wasn't well received because it wasn't much like CT and was barely a real sequel.

I've got zero trouble saying that CC has the best soundtrack I've ever heard to this day though.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

CC is a quasi-sequel to CT. It's pretty interesting for its time, but wasn't well received because it wasn't much like CT and was barely a real sequel.

I've got zero trouble saying that CC has the best soundtrack I've ever heard to this day though.

Honestly its reputation proceeds it… however, what I do know is yes… banging soundtrack as that is all I know of it.

It may be the same as WildArms 2… it go blasted, never played it till years later, wasn’t as bad as its rep.

May give CC a shot

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I confess to also relying on triple raid a lot when I first played through but Robo is actually a pretty terrible character before multiple NG+ runs because of how terrible his speed stat is. You'll do more damage spamming strong dual techs than waiting around to triple tech with Robo. It is possible to rotate x-strike and triple raid but its better to either have a real healer like Marle or access to Lucca's fire magic for the fight against Magus.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really like Chained Echoes. Still in the intro part and learning how the overdrive system works, mess up a lot. But I guess it gets easier to manage with more skills and more party members.

I love that you refill HP and TP between fights. I hope that stays through the game.

Any tips on good party members to aim for or are all needed/used? I assume you get a few extras as you can switch during fights.
You will need them all during the course of the game as party makeups will change, and mid game you will be using all eight when people get knocked out or you want to use certain openings into other skills. As you get more powerful you need to rotate less, so really just figure out which openings/characters you like. Some can be pretty powerful compared to others which you’ll naturally figure out as you go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I missed out on alot of RPGs in general due to being a late bloomer to the genre - However i did like JRPGs enough to plow through the majority of what came out afterwards. Super Mario RPG was something i enjoyed quite a bit back in the days. Now it seems for somethin fresh and new i have to wait on that dark horse coming out in 2025.

New gameplay footage. It does look interesting.

• 2Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I tried to start SMT3: Nocturne last week. Did the first dungeon and first boss. What an insanely bland game, with waaaay too much talking. I just want a Persona-like centered around dungeon crawling, where the demons are your party members instead of just move summons. The first dungeon was so sterile and boring that it pretty much made me uninterested in continuing. Maybe it gets better, or maybe SMT4 would be more my style? I liked the couple hours I played of SMT5 a lot.

SMT3 first dungeon is basically a tutorial, the dungeons have more puzzles and difficulty later on.

Like any RPG there is going to be a lot of talking early on to set the stage a bit, never felt SMT3 was big on talking though. There are some short cutscenes that establish the various alignments later on but they are usually visually striking(again, for a PS2 game).

But yeah summons are basically like pokemon, they don't talk to you or anything if that's what you were expecting.

spronk

FPS noob

visions of mana releasing today but apparently NetEase (china) has decided to pull back its investment in japanese dev companies. I'd assume the massive success of Wukong has them realizing they can develop the talent in china instead and get a much, much larger local playerbase

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Essentially the company made the decision back in Spring and cut all the staff down months ago, only keeping what they needed to finish their commitments. The decision was made before Wukong even came out. Guarantees VoM isn't going to have any extra DLC.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Is VoM good? Reviews from places I trust have been all over the place.
Just buy on steam and play the f out of it for like 115 minutes and if it ain't good by then just return it imo.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is VoM good? Reviews from places I trust have been all over the place.

From what I hear it captures quite a bit of the Secret of Mana energy.

There was another indy-made game last year that was also supposed to be an SoM homage and was well-recieved. Trinity Trigger, I think? It basically vanished from internet discussion within a week, despite being a good game. Never got around to taking a real look at it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user