Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had no idea what you were talking about so I looked it up. What in the actual fuck did they spend 200m dollars on for that movie? I could understand John Carter's runaway budget because of all the green screen, but holy crap.

Still, only the biggest bomb of 2013, not all time.
actually 47 ronin is listed as THE worst 149m loss,
john carter at number 6, 108m loss.

speed racer is there too number 29, 73m loss.
List of box office bombs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, there's that too. It was a liberty taken but I thought it worked for Lynch's vision, which goes back to it being his movie first and a Dune movie second. Herbert generally gave it his blessing though. He has an interesting write up about the experience in the introduction to his short story book "Eye".
Granted, I read the book Dune (none of the others, oddly enough. Had some hard sci-fi nerd friends who kept telling me to stay away from pseudoreligious science fiction at the time, and according to them that was any Herbert book but "Dune." I was 10, shit happens) when I was 10 and had already seen the movie, so the vast majority of the book is through the Lynch visuals. And I gotta say, when you incorporate the visual aspect and the characters, especially Thufir and the Baron, it really makes the book reading a shit ton more enjoyable.

I have yet to see this movie, and a blue space elf Tatum doesn't really entice me especially with the lackluster in house reviews.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jesus, the 13th Warrior is one of my favorite movies =|

It had tons of story! It was a retelling of the Beowulf tale, given a more realistic context based off a Michael Crighton novel called "Eaters of the Dead."

The entire duel scene with the giant red head dude is amazing.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, the 13th Warrior is one of my favorite movies =|

It had tons of story! It was a retelling of the Beowulf tale, given a more realistic context based off a Michael Crighton novel called "Eaters of the Dead."

The entire duel scene with the giant red head dude is amazing.
Same, easily one of my favorite movies.

Column_sl

shitlord
GIGLI COST $76 MILLION? HOW?
do you even have to ask

rrr_img_90327.jpg

Nester

Vyemm Raider
As per the Wiki

In keeping with industry analyses, losses are calculated by subtracting the production budget from half of the theatrical box office revenues:

{TWG \over 2} - {PB}

TWG is the total worldwide box office gross
So industry standard is bullshit math? We are just going to cut the revenues in half because....We can not actually forcast actual costs due to incomplete information on marketing?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I still think based off of how much it cost versus how much it earned, "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" will go down as the biggest bust of all time. A hundred million to make and it barely earned over seven million? That's atrocious. Even some of the recent bombs at least made over a hundred million dollars at the box office, which is respectable, even if it cost a lot to make.

As far as Dune goes, I read the book my freshman year of high school while I was out sick with mono. One of my all time favorite books (Never read any of the other ones; I kinda didn't want to risk ruining how much I enjoyed the first). I still think the movie was bad. The voice guns, the body shields, and the way everyone was whispering everything was really annoying. Also, the special effects were fucking awful, which didn't make any sense to me because it came out after the Star Wars movies. It did have Patrick Stewart in it, which is a plus.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ownership rights reverted back and now they are shopping out to studios for a sequel. This movie suffered not from itself but rather from poor advertising and perhaps the worst title ever given to a large budget film. All they had to do was add " of Mars" to the title and it would have changed everything. The movie itself was actually pretty good and certainly worth admission. If they keep the same actors, I would go and watch the sequel. M<aybe this time they could just use the book title "Gods of Mars".