Justice League (2017)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to watching Snyder version. I'm halfway through (watching the blu-ray) and I really like it. Feels like the "lesser" characters got way more development than before. I don't remember Whedon JL well enough to compare, but from what little I do remember, this feels like a completely different movie.

I like how this feels like a Justice League trilogy all smashed together into one movie. I don't know if the heroes will actually get to fighting DeSaad or Darkseid in the second half so I don't know whether to get excited for that, but seeing so much of them in the first half made me optimistic.

JL should have really been a trio of movies. As has already been said 1000x here, the mismanagement of the DCCU is really unfortunate. I do like this Snyder cut a lot though, probably the best DC thing I've seen in a while. Mainly it's just nice to see a movie that combines elements of other DC movies instead of them all being in separate universes for no goddamn reason.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finally got around to watching Snyder version. I'm halfway through (watching the blu-ray) and I really like it. Feels like the "lesser" characters got way more development than before. I don't remember Whedon JL well enough to compare, but from what little I do remember, this feels like a completely different movie.

I like how this feels like a Justice League trilogy all smashed together into one movie. I don't know if the heroes will actually get to fighting DeSaad or Darkseid in the second half so I don't know whether to get excited for that, but seeing so much of them in the first half made me optimistic.

JL should have really been a trio of movies. As has already been said 1000x here, the mismanagement of the DCCU is really unfortunate. I do like this Snyder cut a lot though, probably the best DC thing I've seen in a while. Mainly it's just nice to see a movie that combines elements of other DC movies instead of them all being in separate universes for no goddamn reason.
WB just sucks like Sony. With that said, man of Steel is great.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just watched the second half.

That was really really good. Now I wish I remembered the theatrical version at all so I could compare, because I don't know how you get a single JL movie out of this. This was like JL1 and 2 rolled into one, with tons of setup for 3 (and what could have easily been a scene from JL 3, the bridge in the post-apocalypse). I don't know if I want to put myself through watching theatrical JL to compare though, it'd probably spoil my memories of this.

Was like looking into an alternate timeline where the DC Cinematic Universe actually played out properly the way Marvel's did, and I was zipping through a bunch of clips from it.

They set up a bunch of movies with the last half hour of this: The next JL (Darkseid), Batman (Luthor and Deathstroke), Batman 2 (Joker and Robin, probably The Killing Joke given what Leto says here), Martian Manhunter, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

I'd love to see those two Batmans, Man of Steel 2, JL: Darkseid, etc. Damn.

At least we're getting Flash, Wonder Woman 3, and Aquaman 2, but if they're all in their own universes and have nothing to do with each other then what's the point?

My favorite shot in Snyder JL was when Steppenwulf managed to open the portal and you see Darkseid and his minions on the other side turning to face it. That was crazy levels of goosebumps right there. Too bad they didn't come through the portal and have a big climactic battle, but I'm hoping we'll get that eventually. Also liked how they threw Steppenwulf's severed head through the portal so it landed at Darkseid's feet.

Who the hell was that other minion who wasn't DeSaad? The one on the right:

20220321_185136.jpg

She sorta looks like a Kryptonian.

How strong is DeSaad anyway? Halfway between Steppenwulf and Darkseid? Would he have gotten his own movie, or been part of Darkseid's movie(s) like Ebony Maw? He's got a lot of Ebony Maw energy, and EM was probably my favorite non-Thanos bad guy in the last few Marvel movies.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

That was really really good. Now I wish I remembered the theatrical version at all so I could compare, because I don't know how you get a single JL movie out of this. This was like JL1 and 2 rolled into one, with tons of setup for 3 (and what could have easily been a scene from JL 3, the bridge in the post-apocalypse).

Was like looking into an alternate timeline where the DC Cinematic Universe actually played out properly the way Marvel's did, and I was zipping through a bunch of clips from it.

They set up a bunch of movies with the last half hour of this: The next JL (Darkseid), Batman (Luthor and Deathstroke), Batman 2 (Joker and Robin, probably The Killing Joke given what Leto says here), Martian Manhunter, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

At least we're getting Flash, Wonder Woman 3, and Aquaman 2, but if they're all in their own universes and have nothing to do with each other then what's the point?

My favorite shot in Snyder JL was when Steppenwulf managed to open the portal and you see Darkseid and his minions on the other side turning to face it. That was crazy levels of goosebumps right there. Too bad they didn't come through the portal and have a big climactic battle, but I'm hoping we'll get that eventually. Also liked how they threw Steppenwulf's severed head through the portal so it landed at Darkseid's feet.

View attachment 404434

How strong is DeSaad anyway? Halfway between Steppenwulf and Darkseid? Would he have gotten his own movie, or been part of Darkseid's movie(s) like Ebony Maw? He's got a lot of Ebony Maw energy, and EM was probably my favorite non-Thanos bad guy in the last few Marvel movies.
Granny goodness.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

That was really really good. Now I wish I remembered the theatrical version at all so I could compare, because I don't know how you get a single JL movie out of this. This was like JL1 and 2 rolled into one, with tons of setup for 3 (and what could have easily been a scene from JL 3, the bridge in the post-apocalypse). I don't know if I want to put myself through watching theatrical JL to compare though, it'd probably spoil my memories of this.

View attachment 404434

Tldr

• 1Dislike
  • 1Picard

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>

View attachment 404434

It was DC's infinity War essentially without all the preamble. It absolutely is two movies in one. Had they handled things differently with the character films, DC could have had a very compelling universe.

They also had (have) the unfortunate situation of having to distinguish Darkseid from Thanos.

At the end, Snyder Cut was much better, but DC is missing the strong vision. They need a Kevin Feige. Everything DC has felt disconnected.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Let me see what I can do as far as a strong vision goes. Was thinking earlier about how I'd have done the DCCU if I were running it. Obviously Marvel set the template for a 3-phase structure (lol @ phase 4) culminating with a battle against a big bad, so I'm going to try to emulate that while also following DC's overall structure (i.e. putting the cart before the horse). 7 movies in each phase. Five years for each phase.

PHASE 1 (2013-2017)
-Man of Steel (Superman vs Zod) (Q4 2013)
-The Batman (origin story, Riddler) (Q4 2014)
-Batman vs Superman (Doomsday) (Q4 2015)
-Suicide Squad (and make this actually a legit part of the same universe so we can use Joker and Harley later) (Q2 2016)
-Wonder Woman (WW1) (Q4 2016)
-Cyborg (he needs a solo movie to be any good, and an origin story is the only time a solo movie makes sense for him, so I'm putting it in Phase 1) (Q2 2017)
-Justice League (first half of the Snyder Cut, up to where they realize they have to / can revive Superman) (Q4 2017)

PHASE 2 - This one will be past-heavy since you can't do a ton in the present between the two JL movies (2018-2022)
-Aquaman (origin story) (Q4 2018)
-Wonder Woman 2 (WW2, none of this 1984 business) (Q2 2019 - this one gets to compete with Avengers Endgame at the box office)
-Joker (origin story, would be nice if there was a consistent actor across this and the others, and obviously I'd have it directly connected) (Q4 2019 - With Marvel P3 over, this is when we strike)
-Batman: Arkham Asylum (Batman vs Joker and Harley Quinn, Harley dies in this one, Robin is introduced) (Q4 2020)
-Shazam (Q2 2021)
-The Flash (make this one largely about reviving Superman, as Flash cited Superman as his main inspiration) (Q4 2021)
-Justice League: The Death and Return of Superman (second half of the Snyder Cut, Superman is revived, ends with Darkseid saying to ready the armada) (Q2 2022)

PHASE 3 (2023-2027)
-Man of Steel 2 (Brainiac is the villain, along with Luthor) (Q4 2023)
-Deathstroke (Deathstroke, working for Luthor, goes after Batman, realizes he's being manipulated, then takes on Luthor) (Q2 2024)
-Aquaman 2 (Q4 2024)
-Shazam 2 (Shazam teams up with Superman) (Q2 2025)
-Batman: The Killing Joke (Batman vs Joker Round 2, Robin dies in this one) (Q4 2025)
-Green Lantern (origin story, maybe he fights DeSaad) (Q4 2026)
-Justice League: Battle of Apokolips (Darkseid vs Justice League) (Q2 2027)

How does this look? Did I forget anything? (Besides Martian Manhunter, who I have no clue where I'd fit in)

And even if this layout sucked, it's better than what they gave us.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
How does this look?
Still too fast.

Batman vs Superman should be the end of Phase 1 and after the Wonder Woman movie.

The Justice League we got with Steppenwolf/Darkseid should be end of Phase 3 and start of Phase 4 if in two parts. There needs to be a lower stakes "fun" Justice League movie to end Phase 2 with an unrelated villian where the group gets together, that way you don't need to build the group in your finale.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The Snyder version is still a bad movie in my opinion, it appears better than it is because it's compared with the Whedon version that was just horrible.

Even with the 4 hours runtime if felt rushed because they didn't spend enough time to build the world beforehand with a bunch of movies to introduce individual characters. You end up not really being attached to most characters because you don't know them. You don't know the villains, the stakes are high(end of the world) but you don't care because there's no build up...movie starts...oooh world is ending, need to a team together.

Infinity War was a decade in the making...you knew the characters and care for them through years of movies that made them feel like you knew them. You knew the stakes, they spend years sprinkling stuff about the Infinity Stones being these incredibly powerful items. We had a little knowledge of Thanos through cameos throughout the years, we knew he was a force behind some of the events our heroes faced...a puppetmaster. We knew him...and his full introduction in Infinity War...he just destroyed the Asgardians, beat the shit out of the Hulk and Thor, kills Loki. We know he is badass not because a voiceover tells us...but because it is shown to us and we understand it because we know the people he beats up easily, and we know they are badass too.

DC is still floundering but somewhat getting better at making movies (nothing great yet), tv shows. I'm still of the opinion that they are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks...and maybe move from there.

I hope they get their act together because there are so many good characters in the DC universe.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
if felt rushed because they didn't spend enough time to build the world beforehand with a bunch of movies to introduce individual characters

This is true. It definitely suffered from trying to tell the while story in a single film. Marvel needed 10 years and lots of ground work to make Infinity War what it was.

DC just dropped the ball when it came to that.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
The Snyder version is still a bad movie in my opinion, it appears better than it is because it's compared with the Whedon version that was just horrible.

Even with the 4 hours runtime if felt rushed because they didn't spend enough time to build the world beforehand with a bunch of movies to introduce individual characters. You end up not really being attached to most characters because you don't know them. You don't know the villains, the stakes are high(end of the world) but you don't care because there's no build up...movie starts...oooh world is ending, need to a team together.

Infinity War was a decade in the making...you knew the characters and care for them through years of movies that made them feel like you knew them. You knew the stakes, they spend years sprinkling stuff about the Infinity Stones being these incredibly powerful items. We had a little knowledge of Thanos through cameos throughout the years, we knew he was a force behind some of the events our heroes faced...a puppetmaster. We knew him...and his full introduction in Infinity War...he just destroyed the Asgardians, beat the shit out of the Hulk and Thor, kills Loki. We know he is badass not because a voiceover tells us...but because it is shown to us and we understand it because we know the people he beats up easily, and we know they are badass too.

DC is still floundering but somewhat getting better at making movies (nothing great yet), tv shows. I'm still of the opinion that they are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks...and maybe move from there.

I hope they get their act together because there are so many good characters in the DC universe.
DC has some great characters, but honestly by the time they get their shit together will anyone care?
Their two most popular characters, Batman and Superman, each have so many movies about them they are becoming a joke.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
DC has some great characters, but honestly by the time they get their shit together will anyone care?
Their two most popular characters, Batman and Superman, each have so many movies about them they are becoming a joke.
the problem with Superman and Bats is theyve been done well several times already and recently. how many times have we seen an Iron Man, Black Widow or Captain America live action film in the last 30 years? never before the MCU films. for some reason they still cant get Hulk right without fucking shit up. they did a great job with him in the 70s , but they made him too campy in the last 2 films. Wonder Woman is the same problem. why did they make her so stupid in her last film? they got the tone right in the original film even if the ending was fucking stupid. and Flash, he's a box office flop waiting to happen. i still have my doubts that movie ever gets made. they have to see what a faggoty little bitch this guy is. they seem to have gotten Aquaman and Shazaam right, women still get damp in their panties over Momoa, Shazaam was just a good movie and it sticks out because it wasnt bogged down with DCEU shit.

if i was in charge of DC, i would skip fucking Batman and Supes films and start developing lesser known DC properties such as the aforementioned Shazaam.
maybe Plastic Man, the TV show in the 70s was a hoot. try again with Green Lantern , but done less faggoty this time. there are a lot of stories with him i remember reading as a kid.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
the problem with Superman and Bats is theyve been done well several times already and recently. how many times have we seen an Iron Man, Black Widow or Captain America live action film in the last 30 years? never before the MCU films. for some reason they still cant get Hulk right without fucking shit up. they did a great job with him in the 70s , but they made him too campy in the last 2 films. Wonder Woman is the same problem. why did they make her so stupid in her last film? they got the tone right in the original film even if the ending was fucking stupid. and Flash, he's a box office flop waiting to happen. i still have my doubts that movie ever gets made. they have to see what a faggoty little bitch this guy is. they seem to have gotten Aquaman and Shazaam right, women still get damp in their panties over Momoa, Shazaam was just a good movie and it sticks out because it wasnt bogged down with DCEU shit.

if i was in charge of DC, i would skip fucking Batman and Supes films and start developing lesser known DC properties such as the aforementioned Shazaam.
maybe Plastic Man, the TV show in the 70s was a hoot. try again with Green Lantern , but done less faggoty this time. there are a lot of stories with him i remember reading as a kid.
Do the Legion of Superheroes. Younger heroes, property not really exploited at all (except for that shitty Supergirl show), and a large cast of heroes you can mix in and out.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ever since I saw Evan Peters version of Quick Silver - Ive wanted "The Flash" to be more like that. Seems like every time they play flash in the movies, he's some f'n dopey kid that reminds me of kids that grow up solely in a Christian Academy. Then the action sequences are nothing but this blur of red jetting all over the screen. Its not cool and is pretty fucking lame, just like the character. I have never read the comics, so maybe Im missing something. But if the comics are depicting this type of character - then that shit needs to have a hard reboot. At least thats how I feel about The Flash.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Do the Legion of Superheroes. Younger heroes, property not really exploited at all (except for that shitty Supergirl show), and a large cast of heroes you can mix in and out.
you cant go big yet, you need to start small like Marvel has. pick a few cool lesser known superheroes. develop them and have them join together in a big film to fight one of Superman's villains, maybe develop the Legion of Doom while at it and each new lesser known superhero can fight a lesser known supervillain and after being defeated they form the LoD to beat them. this isnt rocket science, the other problem with DC is they didnt give anyone a chance to develop a vision or rather hire somebody to guide other directors to follow the vision the studio was going for. it doesnt look like DC has any vision. there is nothing they are working toward other than come see our film. if they want to be succesful like Marvel then they need to develop a long term plan and fucking stick to it.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
you cant go big yet, you need to start small like Marvel has. pick a few cool lesser known superheroes. develop them and have them join together in a big film to fight one of Superman's villains, maybe develop the Legion of Doom while at it and each new lesser known superhero can fight a lesser known supervillain and after being defeated they form the LoD to beat them. this isnt rocket science, the other problem with DC is they didnt give anyone a chance to develop a vision or rather hire somebody to guide other directors to follow the vision the studio was going for. it doesnt look like DC has any vision. there is nothing they are working toward other than come see our film. if they want to be succesful like Marvel then they need to develop a long term plan and fucking stick to it.
I agree, but you could also do that with the Legion. You could spend a few movies introducing various characters and culminate with the formation of the Legion saving the universe from the Fatal Five. I like the Legion for a movie team because they generally only have one power each so they are each unique and dont step on each other (Superboy/girl and Mon-el excluded of course)

Fuck, DC just needs to hire me to do this shit for them.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I agree, but you could also do that with the Legion. You could spend a few movies introducing various characters and culminate with the formation of the Legion saving the universe from the Fatal Five. I like the Legion for a movie team because they generally only have one power each so they are each unique and dont step on each other (Superboy/girl and Mon-el excluded of course)

Fuck, DC just needs to hire me to do this shit for them.
sure, but you cant introduce too many superheroes at the same time. gotta slowly develop a core group of 3 or 4 solid characters, then start having others pop in from time to time, but always keep your anchors around for the new guys to revolve around. Marvel shit the bed big time by killing all their anchors off at the same time without first developing new anchors to replace them.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
sure, but you cant introduce too many superheroes at the same time. gotta slowly develop a core group of 3 or 4 solid characters, then start having others pop in from time to time, but always keep your anchors around for the new guys to revolve around. Marvel shit the bed big time by killing all their anchors off at the same time without first developing new anchors to replace them.
Good thing about the Legion is they were "diversity" before diversity was all the rage.

• 1Like