Justified: City Primeval

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It means he is terrible at doing a Marshalls job and following American law but he is fairly good at doing the "right thing".
Aka frontier justice.

Prime example, when he kneels over a grievously wounded Daryl Crowe Jr, looks him in the eyes, and just watches as he breathes his last breath.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First episode was decent. His daughters voice makes it really hard for me to watch though. But great to have some more Raylan being Raylan.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
sassy BLM lawyer going after Givens in first 10 minutes with "dindu nuffin" turned up to 11

jogger criminal goes free despite committing a bunch of crimes

can i please have Kentucky and the hollers back?

Edit: next 10 minutes, mean white cops raid a hideout with Derek chauvin looking alike gungo-ho squad leader letting a dog chew on a suspect to get him to fess up

This criminal played by Boyd Holbrook is also being setup as this badass suave guy who gives 0 fucks. Like a poor man's Ryan Gosling lookalike

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Wtf does this mean lol? What is the difference?
Here is a good example from the show. They killed a state trooper friend of Raylans. Highly illegal but I think most would agree its fine to do to scumbags.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
b.gif

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
sassy BLM lawyer going after Givens in first 10 minutes with "dindu nuffin" turned up to 11

jogger criminal goes free despite committing a bunch of crimes

Edit: next 10 minutes, mean white cops raid a hideout with Derek chauvin looking alike gungo-ho squad leader letting a dog chew on a suspect to get him to fess up

This criminal played by Boyd Holbrook is also being setup as this badass suave guy who gives 0 fucks. Like a poor man's Ryan Gosling lookalike
Just so we're clear, there were no NEW charges on the guy raylan brought in. The charges for why raylan brought him in in the first place stuck.

I also wouldn't call the dude who admitted to trying to kill a judge a Derek chauvin look alike.

I do agree that after a single episode I'm not quite sold on boyd Holbrooks character, especially with him completely losing focus on what the game plan was and chasing after the judge. But we'll see.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I also wouldn't call the dude who admitted to trying to kill a judge a Derek chauvin look alike.

I didn't. I called the cop who kept saying shit like " that's how we do things in Detroit"

j00t

I didn't. I called the cop who kept saying shit like " that's how we do things in Detroit"
oh... hm... i mean, i guess? i obviously didnt make that connection, i just took it as everyone being varying levels of corrupt because detroit is a cesspool

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
oh... hm... i mean, i guess? i obviously didnt make that connection, i just took it as everyone being varying levels of corrupt because detroit is a cesspool

He isnt corrupt. He is being painted as a violent and sadistic LE officer who is cruel to suspects.

j00t

He isnt corrupt. He is being painted as a violent and sadistic LE officer who is cruel to suspects.
"corrupt" may not be the term i was going for... how about "a person with a bad soul"

i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just saying i didn't see him as a chauvin insert. i have law enforcement in my family and grew up with plenty of officers hanging out with us during holidays so i'm generally sensitive to "cops are bad" messages, i just see that dude as your generic "bad cop" trope. it existed long before chauvin, and will continue to exist long after people have forgotten about chauvin.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
"corrupt" may not be the term i was going for... how about "a person with a bad soul"

i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just saying i didn't see him as a chauvin insert. i have law enforcement in my family and grew up with plenty of officers hanging out with us during holidays so i'm generally sensitive to "cops are bad" messages, i just see that dude as your generic "bad cop" trope. it existed long before chauvin, and will continue to exist long after people have forgotten about chauvin.

Sure, but they cast a guy who reminded me of Chauvin's look, hence the comparison.

Why is that the "bad cop" is never a black guy?

j00t

Sure, but they cast a guy who reminded me of Chauvin's look, hence the comparison.

Why is that the "bad cop" is never a black guy?
well, i mean the judge was a bad guy. or at the very least, was into some shady stuff. they said they had a CI reporting on him for a while. i also kinda get the impression that the other detective raylan initially got teamed up with is going to be shady. the camera lingered on him a few times at odd times. could be nothing, could be something.

and... you, know.. i mean...
king-kong-aint-got-shit-on-me.gif

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
well, i mean the judge was a bad guy. or at the very least, was into some shady stuff. they said they had a CI reporting on him for a while. i also kinda get the impression that the other detective raylan initially got teamed up with is going to be shady. the camera lingered on him a few times at odd times. could be nothing, could be something.

and... you, know.. i mean...
king-kong-aint-got-shit-on-me.gif

Yeah with the possible exception of Harvey Keitel in Bad Lieutenant, Alonzo Harris is possibly the WORST cop in movie history.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
These are rock hard times for Dewey Crowe. Two episodes in and all I want is to send Olyphant a barrel of pain pills for his poor back. Writing ain't great, pacing is terrible, and is there supposed to be some sexual tension between Raylan and the ugly attorney?? Speaking of, I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure half the shit she says is total bullshit. Since when do you need a warrant to talk to a bartender about a suspect who was just in his bar?

j00t

These are rock hard times for Dewey Crowe. Two episodes in and all I want is to send Olyphant a barrel of pain pills for his poor back. Writing ain't great, pacing is terrible, and is there supposed to be some sexual tension between Raylan and the ugly attorney?? Speaking of, I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure half the shit she says is total bullshit. Since when do you need a warrant to talk to a bartender about a suspect who was just in his bar?
omg i was nearly yelling outloud that whole interaction. "Do you have a warrant?" "You don't need a warrant to ask questions, ma'am."

and yeah. i don't quite know what they are trying to do with the attorney. she's in an antagonistic position to raylan, but they keep doing weird moments where if it was a different character entirely you might think it's a romantic option. except also both of these people are 50+ years old. i don't need a geriatric romance side plot.

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
omg i was nearly yelling outloud that whole interaction. "Do you have a warrant?" "You don't need a warrant to ask questions, ma'am."

They didn't even really ask him anything. They never even mentioned a gun, Sweetie did.

j00t

They didn't even really ask him anything. They never even mentioned a gun, Sweetie did.
they were asking questions in a roundabout way. they may not have ever specifically framed anything as a question but they were obviously looking for sweetie to fill in some blanks. either way, no warrant was needed.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I just kept yelling at the kid for being a cunt. I have a standard joke that I have a list of reasons why I never had kids. All the entries on the list are #1 (there isn't a 2) but the list is WIDE. So I'm telling my wife 'that's on my list'. Weirdly , the kid being a pretend PITA is Olyphant's real life kid.....

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just kept yelling at the kid for being a cunt. I have a standard joke that I have a list of reasons why I never had kids. All the entries on the list are #1 (there isn't a 2) but the list is WIDE. So I'm telling my wife 'that's on my list'. Weirdly , the kid being a pretend PITA is Olyphant's real life kid.....
Her voice is so cringe worthy. Glad she left at the end of the episode.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I was wondering what the fuck is up with this 20-yr-old-playing-a-15-yr-old-who-talks-like-a-5-yr-old...then I saw that she was Olyphant's actual kid. That explains a lot. I was glad when she left too, but unfortunately, getting rid of one annoyance isn't going to make the show good. Also noticing more and more of the kinda subtle (but not really) portrayal of "toxic masculinity" and asshole cops. Oh, but not the female cop, she's an angel.

It's been a while since I've binged Justified, is this the longest Raylan has gone without shooting someone?

• 1Like