Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair (2011)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think Jackie Brown doesn't get enough credit. There wasn't much action compared to the other movies but it had great dialogue and Robert DeNiro shooting Bridget Fonda because she wouldn't shut up was probably my favorite scene from any of Tarantino's movies.

Also the mall scene was shot at Del Amo mall which I went to all the time when I was growing up.
At the time I think it was looked at as a commercial failure by "the industry", but it seems like now more and more like people are saying it is underrated. I think it's my favorite one, all of the performances are amazing, especially Robert Forster. The soundtrack is maybe the best of all his movies, the story is awesome, fucking Michael Keaton is in it, so many things to love about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I think Hollywood went off the deep end with color grading in the last few years (tinting the entire picture to convey a certain mood). It's a powerful effect when used right but it's been so overdone lately that anything that isn't as overdone looks odd to audiences now.

Yeah you kinda get what I'm talking about.

Another example would be American Psycho - my point is, if you imagine the film was made today do you think it would look identical to how it did in 2000. Ignore the obvious stuff like updated cuts/styles of suit/business attire, hairstyles (that are obvious signs of "aging") but look at the colour palette/tone of the scene - everything is just a little bit brighter or more saturated (maybe not best scene as the blinds behind him are semi closed, but still a decent example)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
While I'm not dying to rewatch it, I agree that Jackie Brown was vastly more entertaining to me than either Kill Bill. And the Deniro/Fonda scene, so fucking great. I really thought Fonda was super hot back then, and still enjoyed watching her get shot.

My favorite movie with her, however, will always be Lake Placid. Goddamn that's a wonderful movie! (Not QT though, so carry on!)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Tarantino is overrated as fuck and most likely spent time sucking on some poor 13 year old girls toes on Epstein’s island.

• 5Edgelord
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 10 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I think Hollywood went off the deep end with color grading in the last few years (tinting the entire picture to convey a certain mood). It's a powerful effect when used right but it's been so overdone lately that anything that isn't as overdone looks odd to audiences now.

GoT did this a lot, some of the later season shows some scenes are so blue as to be almost devoid of any other color. The last season episode with the battle of Winterfell that was made so dark as to make it impossible to see what was happening was an extreme example of overdoing it.

View attachment 290402

View attachment 290403

Later releases of the Matrix also have increased contrast and a stronger green tint to them. You can see parts of faces in the old versions that almost fall into shadow in the newer version.

I know the Wachowski's altered the tint from the original DVD release, but the 4K version of bluray for The Matrix is pretty damn amazing, though the color purity makes it look even more unreal on my OLED. It's mostly a color balancing/color correction, which makes it look more like how it was intended. The whites are white instead of washed-out greys or yellows or warmer colors. The scenes that are purely white and green can still look washed out with how crisp the white is. And HDR10 in certain scenes looks incredible, giving it another dimension it didn't have before.

the_matrix_4k_68-1.png

the_matrix_4k_05-1.png

the_matrix_4k_57-1.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Tarantino is overrated as fuck and most likely spent time sucking on some poor 13 year old girls toes on Epstein’s island.

No.

If he's a pedo he needs to be punished.

Whatever he might have done doesn't detract from his movies, the moment you agree it does, is another idiot stepping towards censorship "because the author was racist / capitalist / ....."

Fuck that mentality.

• 1Cringe

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, Anderson movies are great to watch even when you aren't quite clear wtf is going on.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I want to say this whole color tone craze started with the LOTR trilogy, but they've probably been doing this for a long time and people just didnt notice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Part 1 was one of my favourite movies.

I hated Part 2. I wanted more of what the first movie was, you just can't beat a 1 v 100 person massacre and killing Bill in one move was anti climatic after he is built up as this martial arts/katana master.

• 1Salty

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I want to say this whole color tone craze started with the LOTR trilogy, but they've probably been doing this for a long time and people just didnt notice.
Long story short, basically it's because white skin color is a thing that exists, therefore it will be canceled in the next 6 months. Ironically, orange compliments darker skin tones and contrasts with blue as well. It's become an exaggerated thing over the last 20 years due to the usage of digital cameras. LOTR used Super 35 film cameras, but certainly used a lot of CGI composite scenes. I would say it started more with Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, or 28 Days Later which used mixed medium so the digital shots and film shots had pretty strong contrast. You can see the orange and blue contrast in nearly every scene.
MV5BMTQ0OTIxNTE4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjA2NzU5MTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1495,1000_AL_.jpg

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Fixed your horrible slip up for you.
WTF? Was Bridget Fonda even born when that movie came out? And Jane isn't her mom, so you can't be talking about a fetus...I don't fucking understand what you're getting at. Maybe I'm just dumb, please enlighten me.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
WTF? Was Bridget Fonda even born when that movie came out? And Jane isn't her mom, so you can't be talking about a fetus...I don't fucking understand what you're getting at. Maybe I'm just dumb, please enlighten me.

I thought about playing it off with some cool joke, but really I just heard "Fonda" and my mind jumped to that. Sorry!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The technique is by no means new but modern software has made it much easier to do and redo. Like any other technique, it can be used skillfully and it can be overdone. I'm hoping the extremes will pass and it will become just some phase that filmmakers went through (like the bullet time effect in The Matrix that people kept imitating for far too long afterwards, or the soft focus on women in the 60s)

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy

Michael Mann is the one person I can think of that's made heavy use of tinting over a long period of time, particularly the color blue. I specifically remember it in Heat and Collateral.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Michael Mann is the one person I can think of that's made heavy use of tinting over a long period of time, particularly the color blue. I specifically remember it in Heat and Collateral.

[/QUOTE]

100% correct - he uses colours to reflect the mood of the character eg blue when they're at home and at ease. Manhunter would be the other obvious example

I made this for my Instagram using my philips hue

heat.jpg

• 2Pathetic