Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why even look at this show for its political overtones? Its a comedy show. If you want politics watch CNN or some shit. Obviously the content matters but if its funny its funny and the internet piece was pretty convincing as well as hilarious. The old school AOL commercial redux was $$$.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It was clear some interns googled for stories and sadly those were the top results. Feel free to try to educate HBO on the actual issues behind that if you wish.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Holy shit this piece of shit just backed Sarkeesian and Wu without any irony at all. Fucking A.

And that twitter psycho put "manslaughter" in quotes because he killed a woman, not because he didn't think killing someone was a crime. ~sigh
Calm down Ike Turner

Agraza

Registered Hutt
And this week it's LGBT shit with a focus on transgenders. He may as well be on MSNBC. I'm plenty progressive, but he's decided being a preacher for leftist religion trumps being a comedian. I expect comedians to be insightful about the ordinary and the extraordinary, to poke holes in whatever's nearbyjust because they can. He not only has a sacred cow he won't touch, he's putting his sacred cow center stage and suggesting you pay fealty as he does.

The reason the Daily Show was so enduring and respectable was Stewart trying to address his bias. He went after Obama and leftists as well as Bush and the far right. He had favorites, but he tried not to play favorites.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Nope. Done with it. Bill Maher is still willing to shit on all comers thankfully.
The only reason Maher shits on everyone is because that ego maniac thinks hes a god and everyone and everything else is shit under his feet.
Most worthless piece of shit talking head ever on TV...Fuck Bill Maher.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that gets triggered by Bill Maher. I even agree with him a fair amount of the time but he's so condescending that I can't listen to him talk for 5 minutes without wanting to break my TV. Bill O'Reilly is the same way FWIW.

Sevens

Log Wizard
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that gets triggered by Bill Maher. I even agree with him a fair amount of the time but he's so condescending that I can't listen to him talk for 5 minutes without wanting to break my TV. Bill O'Reilly is the same way FWIW.
Same here, I usually agree with what he is saying hes just such a self important worthless cunt that I want to punch puppies every time I see his face or hear his voice.

spronk

FPS noob
fuck bill maher that smug self righteous douchebag, I'm so happy John Oliver's show is beating him in the ratings, I'd rather watching Larry Wilmore at this point than Maher. Well, maybe not.

Stewart's sacred cows are education (mom was a teacher) and gun control. He also ratcheted up his anti-fox stuff to an 11 in the past few weeks, which is silly. No one who watches Fox News also watches The Daily Show, at this point all he is doing is pandering to his audience the same way Fox does "hurr durr Fox is so dumb you are so awesome for not watching it". It plays really well though I guess with his audience.

I do prefer it when Oliver tackles topics the rest of the media is ignoring, stuff like LGBT or Greece is so much in the news.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
For anyone saying its nothing more then a dumb comedy show pandering to liberal issues watch the segment on the Broken Bail system. That could have well been on 60 minutes. The interviews and information they collect for some of the large segments is damn good journalism.

Also, fuck bill maher. My stepdad loves him and repeats all his crap about the republicans being nothing more then racists. Some are, but that vastly over simplifies the conflict between them and obama and brings Bill Maher down to their level of anti-intellectual simplification of issues.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have to agree a bit on John Oliver. There's been a few topics where it just comes off as Tumblr flavor of the month. I just try to ignore those since the majority of the topics are worthwhile.

What spronk said about his tackling the stuff no one else talks about, is the only reason I watch it. Things like net neutrality, Miss America, and the Snowden interview were all winners. Crap like Ferguson, MO and trannies I can do without.

I used to like Bill Maher. There was a period there where he was calling out pretty much all politicians. But eventually it got to a point where I just couldn't stand to listen to it anymore. Plus, his guests are always terribly annoying people.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I prefer Bill Maher just for the fact he does his homework and doesn't sound like he's just repeating some MSNBC narrative like Oliver. Plus Oliver needs to fix his fucking rotten teeth.

Sterling

El Presidente
Oliver is pretty hit or miss. I think they generally do their research, but they often pic topics that have already been driven into the ground. Sometimes when they do something that's a little off the radar it's usually very interesting.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Bill Maher has taken a real stand his whole career for the freedom to say unpopular things, including pissing leftists off. He is a huge fucking dickhead though.

I can really only think of 3-4 episodes of John Oliver that were super lefty bullshit.