Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I assume they all end up living close by
Not football players, usually. Baseball players, sometimes, until they randomly get traded in the middle of the aftermoon one day. Still, the money they have is chump change in economic terms, even if they spent every cent.

The stadiums thing has been bullshit for a long time, but they're just gotten so much better at manipulating the populace and the demands have gotten more and more opulent. Nevermind the fact that actually going to a game (at least for a popular football team) is priced out of reach of most of the population now.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I wonder how much revenue is brought in by the players themselves. I assume they all end up living close by and spending significant money on crap from the local area.
Lol, no. ,nice assumption though.

The vast majority of all pro athletes live in tax friendly locations like florida and Arizona.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol, no. ,nice assumption though.

The vast majority of all pro athletes live in tax friendly locations like florida and Arizona.
That would not help their taxes unless they play in those states. Taxes are earned in the state where the game is played.

spronk

FPS noob
i need to get my wife to watch this episode, she's a goddamn nazi when it comes to expiration dates, always throwing good food away because of some arbitrary packaging date. THANK YOU, JOHN OLIVER

i know, i won't win shit and everything will still get tossed

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Endorsements and such are also probably "earned" in their state of residence.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Stadiums are annoying. We spent 300+ million on the cardinals stadium and another 200+ on the worthless coyotes. Worst of all are the agreements between the teams and the cities, rediculous management fees and contactual obligations to support them.

For example, the city of Glendale is obligated to rent land owned by the cardinals to provide the cardinals parking space on certain game days. And if course the stupid fucking voters eat it up like the retards they are.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Stadiums are annoying. We spent 300+ million on the cardinals stadium and another 200+ on the worthless coyotes. Worst of all are the agreements between the teams and the cities, rediculous management fees and contactual obligations to support them.

For example, the city of Glendale is obligated to rent land owned by the cardinals to provide the cardinals parking space on certain game days. And if course the stupid fucking voters eat it up like the retards they are.
But... but.... sports!!!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That would not help their taxes unless they play in those states. Taxes are earned in the state where the game is played.
Really? So pro athletes file taxes in 30+ states? God, what a pain...

Edit: Answer to my own question.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/04/15/pro-athlete-tax-returns-illustrate-complexities-of-u-s-tax-code/

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
But... but.... sports!!!
The owners of the teams and the bigwigs in the various leagues have to just have the biggest shit eating grins when they see how fervent the sheeple support and defend taxpayer money being used to build and maintain stupid ass stadiums. Just right now the retarded city of Phoenix is in talks with the Suns and Coyotes to build them a new stadium(current one was built int 1992 so its "too old") just to keep them.

There is just no other issue out that shows just how fucking stupid and brain dead voters truly are. These are the same inbred mongoloid fucks who complain about shitty roads, not enough teachers, not enough police etc. Yet here we are forking over hundreds of millions of dollars to rich assholes who dont even give a shit about the sports teams they own. Theyre fucking hobbies for them, things to brag about to their other rich asshole friends.

spronk

FPS noob
great episode on minimum sentencing laws for drug offenses, definitely a dumbass thing we did in the 80s. we're gonna look back at the drug wars like we look at prohibition

also a good argument against gun control, same kneejerk reaction to horrifying massacres to try and get rid of all guns (not gonna happen fortunately) but no doubt down the road that would be something the country would regret. always move on the side of more freedom and liberty for people, not less, and you will probably end up on the right side of history.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can you get Emmy's for a News show. Or is this not technically a news show?

spronk

FPS noob
amazing episode, blows my mind these shitbags still scam people for hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Jesus Christ, how stupid do you have to be to send out so much money to someone who looks like a literal snake oil salesman

I guess I can't say I'm super surprised though, growing up my mom would give large amounts of money to our local church every year. Turned out the preacher was a pedo and stole money from the church too. Even to this day though she forgives him and doesn't think she did anything wrong. On the plus side it pretty much turned all her kids away from religion.

I'd assume most of the money these guys make are actually not from poor people but from middle classers like my mom who think they are doing a good thing