Legends of the Sword Coast

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
First game I steam refunded. And I have kept some real shit games.
Me too. I used the refund cash to buy Just Cause 3 instead.

I want this game to not suck but I can't see a pathway to it not sucking at this point in time.

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm blaming consoles personally. Limiting DM mode doesn't make any sense otherwise. Where as the ARPG could just be design choice.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is this only getting panned because of the shoddy DMing tools? I could honestly care less about those. Sure, back in the day it would be a deal breaker, but my group of gaming buddies have grown up, and it's way too hard to align our schedules often enough for DM tools to matter anymore.

I just want a solid campaign that has the option of multiplayer for those rare occasions our schedules match.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My understanding is that the actual gameplay is pretty much trash too.

Its ARPG with some D&D foundations but its not actually D&D, and I don't expect the campaign will be very memorable, but we don't actually know yet since no one has played the campaign, just the multiplayer.

added:

Also the company making it doesn't have a great track record, and this is their first RPG. Can look into their catalog of titles, I believe its mostly shovelware.

Sulrn

Deuces
Is this only getting panned because of the shoddy DMing tools? I could honestly care less about those. Sure, back in the day it would be a deal breaker, but my group of gaming buddies have grown up, and it's way too hard to align our schedules often enough for DM tools to matter anymore.
I'm passing because ARPGs in the style (and presumed quality) of X-Men Legends aren't my thing. Was looking for a real multiplayer RPG with DnD style ruleset, but it's only DnD in name/theme with shoddy animation, art sets, and encounters.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm passing because ARPGs in the style (and presumed quality) of X-Men Legends aren't my thing. Was looking for a real multiplayer RPG with DnD style ruleset, but it's only DnD in name/theme with shoddy animation, art sets, and encounters.
Right, but is the ARPG style gameplay a symptom of 5th edition D&D? Hell, 4th edition D&D seemed like it was almost entirely createdforvideo games (surprisingly, they didn't really do anything with it - video game wise).

I haven't played 5th edition yet, so I can't say for certain, but after seeing what they did in 4th, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that 5th has a heavy ARPG feel. People need to realize that D&D has changed alotsince 3.0 and 3.5.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Right, but is the ARPG style gameplay a symptom of 5th edition D&D?
No. 5th edition is very similar to 3rd edition, and not at all similar to 4th edition, which was universally reviled and WOTC is doing their best to run screaming away from it as far and fast as they can.

5th edition is like a super stream lined 3rd edition. Its core rules are only about 25 pages long.

Here's an article giving you a quick overview of 5th edition

Everything You Need to Know about the 5th Edition Ds Handbook

The hard kernel of rules at the center of 5E (the combat and adventuring rules) takes up exactly 25 pages in a 300-page book. Wizards of the Coast uses the word "streamlined" a lot when they talk about 5E, and it's really true. It's not a dumbed down version of D&D by any means, but a lot of the jagged edges and needlessly complicated elements have been filed and sanded down. I talked to D&D Lead Designer Mike Mearls at Gen Con last week, and he told me that a lot of rules decisions came down to driving the action to the table rather than to the books. That meant cutting down on rules that required brute force memorization and felt more intuitive to the players.

How have things been streamlined? In a lot of little ways. There are no separate values for saving throws ? a saving throw simply uses an ability score. If the DM says, "Make a Dex save," you roll a d20 and add your Dexterity modifier. Instead of a menu of skills in which you purchase ranks, skills are tied directly to ability scores (and there are fewer skills overall). There's a flat proficiency bonus that applies to a bunch of different rolls, so you only ever have to know if you're proficient with something or not. Using a weapon you're proficient with? Add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll. Using a skill you're proficient in? Add the bonus. Not proficient? Then just use your ability modifier. The proficiency bonus starts at +2 at 1st level and gradually increases to +6 at 20th.

Feats have been improved significantly. For one thing, they're optional. Classes get boosts to their primary ability scores at certain levels. You can forego the boost to take a feat instead. The feats have been consolidated, to great benefit. In 3rd Edition, you had to take a chain of related feats to specialize in something. In 5E, a single feat lets you be great at mounted combat or fighting against spellcasters. This means feats are much more powerful, individually, and instead of just being yet another thing your character can do, they really help define who the character is.

One of the biggest changes is the removal of static bonuses for most rolls. You'll still find the odd +2 bonus here and there, but those have mostly been replaced by advantage and disadvantage. On those rolls, you simply roll an extra D20, and take the higher of the two if you have advantage (take the lower for disadvantage). It's a really fun way to boost a roll, doesn't require bookkeeping or remembering a bunch of variables, and really speeds up play.

There are a lot of other small tweaks like this, things that maintain the feel of classic D&D, but remove a lot of the parts that made things less fun (no flanking rules, and only one way to trigger an attack of opportunity). Having read through the Player's Handbook thoroughly and having played several sessions using these rules, I have yet to find a rule a actively dislike.

khalid

Unelected Mod
How does this compare to Pillars of Eternity? I know some people disliked that, but I loved it personally.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
How does this compare to Pillars of Eternity? I know some people disliked that, but I loved it personally.
Its not a turn based or real time with pause style game from my understanding. It is an Action RPG.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Part of the problem is no one has seen the single players story yet. No one can say with any authority if it will be a good or bad plot. What can be extrapolated from the DM tools is it islikelyto be crap. I mean, for fuck's sake, you can't even make dialogue trees for NPCs. If an NPC is trying to give you a quest, you get a paragraph or so of text and then an 'accept' or 'No thanks' button. Given a limitation like that I can't see the RPG part of this game living up to the likes of NWN or Baulder's Gate. I think Slurn is right when he said this has been butchered to make it workable for consoles.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
No. 5th edition is very similar to 3rd edition, and not at all similar to 4th edition, which was universally reviled and WOTC is doing their best to run screaming away from it as far and fast as they can.

5th edition is like a super stream lined 3rd edition. Its core rules are only about 25 pages long.

Here's an article giving you a quick overview of 5th edition

Everything You Need to Know about the 5th Edition Ds Handbook
Honestly, a "streamlined" 3rd edition would probably play very similar to an ARPG in video game form. Surprisingly, this does.

Its not a turn based or real time with pause style game from my understanding. It is an Action RPG.
No, it works similar to DA:Origins. It's "real-time", with tactical pausing. So, you can essentially turn it into a fully turn-based game, if you desire. People calling it a full ARPG don't understand option menus, apparently.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You seem pretty set on it no matter what, and that's fine. Let us know if you think its worthwhile and I might pick it up later.

All the feedback on the multiplayer beta seems to be bad enough that I didn't want to get stuck with a sub par second rate Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance clone, which is what it sounds like it is to me.

Sulrn

Deuces
Right, but is the ARPG style gameplay a symptom of 5th edition D&D? Hell, 4th edition D&D seemed like it was almost entirely createdforvideo games (surprisingly, they didn't really do anything with it - video game wise).

I haven't played 5th edition yet, so I can't say for certain, but after seeing what they did in 4th, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that 5th has a heavy ARPG feel. People need to realize that D&D has changed alotsince 3.0 and 3.5.
DnD has changed a lot, but it's still not an ARPG experience regardless of how streamlined/refined it's ruleset becomes. Spell/Ability use restriction still has meaning in balancing classes more than a GCD timer can convey. Feats are more powerful and thus handled as mythical beasts; certainly not lumped in with skills on a point buy scheme as LoSC. If anything, this resembles 4e more than 5 even if they did directly take the 5e PHB to name their class abilities. Even then, it's barely that. DnD is about world building and then turning around and letting your friends explore it however they choose - not restricting them to quest hubs and randomized dungeon crawls.

Skimping on DM tools just makes this a poorly built game using a franchise name for sales.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You seem pretty set on it no matter what, and that's fine. Let us know if you think its worthwhile and I might pick it up later.

All the feedback on the multiplayer beta seems to be bad enough that I didn't want to get stuck with a sub par second rate Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance clone, which is what it sounds like it is to me.
I'm not "set" on it no matter what. I just happen to think the complaints about the game amount to people wanting/expecting NWN3 and instead they got Icewind Dale. A lot of people overestimate how much they play with DM tools/how often they play "custom" content. Not to mention, the quality of said content. I played some of the "highest rated" NWN modules around the time HotU was out and they were horribly bad compared to the BioWare created stuff - which is almost always the case with custom content.

I always looked at the game as a $30, co-op campaign. I think it's a fair price to pay for what will probably amount to 20-30 hours of hilarity/fun with friends. Some people expected it to ship with all the Unity store assets available for their totally l33t campaign (which, in actuality, ends up being pretty shitty), apparently. And that's fine, but I don't think you should expect to pay $30 for that experience.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not "set" on it no matter what. I just happen to think the complaints about the game amount to people wanting/expecting NWN3 and instead they got Icewind Dale.
Well that's just wrong. I want Baldur's Gate and/or Icewind Dale, and it looks like we're getting BG: DA with a sub par DM toolset instead. I couldn't honestly care less about the DM toolset. I want the deep tactical gameplay of the Infinity Engine titles, with a decent storyline, and I also don't really give a flip flying shit about the multiplayer, tbh.

I think your entire position is a strawman, frankly, but that's neither here nor there.

Like I said, I just don't want to risk getting a sub par BG: DA style game with a mediocre storyline and ARPG style combat that lacks depth and is overall a watered down experience. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'll let others take the financial risk on that, and then listen to their feedback and reviews once the game drops.

I hope I'm wrong. We need a resurgence of D&D based games, imo. But the company that makes this doesn't have, imo, the experience in game development for these types of rpgs to warrant trusting them at this time.

Here's their wikipedia page of their catalogue of titles to date. Most of them are ports to the DS/3ds, a bunch of Hanna Montana type stuff and whatnot for Disney and others. That was probably the biggest driver in my refunding the title on Steam.

n-Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't get why people keep calling this ARPG gameplay, akin to BG: DA. People saying that obviously haven't played it and are just regurgitating what other people are ignorantly repeating. It uses almost the exact same "tactical pausing" system as DA: Origins. Would you call DA:O an ARPG?