LitRPG

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This book is only like, 1% of him jerking off to his core, which the entire last book was entirely focused on, like you said.

But don't worry, instead of him staring at his core he's instead focused on his skills, dao and some other nonsense. I enjoy when books are unashamedly over the top on some certain topic so I don't mind it. It's not as much as the previous book but if the previous book is 75% cultivation, this one is 35% cultivation and it's just as indulgent. Zak will spend a cultivation session focusing on improving his skill "Groin Punch" and focus on the fundamental truths of nutshots and mix them with the dao of cockslaps to form the hybrid skill penultimate sack whack. I love every word.

Much more of the book is focused on battles, world-building and Zak building his nation, which is good. In this universe the people at the top will spend eons in "seclusion" where they selfishly focus on their own development. Giving the reader a taste of what this means by having basically the whole book dedicated to it is inline with the concept and "builds stronger foundations" as Zak would say.

In like, 10 books when Zak starts to approach monarchy I can only assume J. F. Brink will describe the world Zak builds like GRRM describing a feast.
Thanks. I gave you a like for taking the time to answer me, not because I actually liked your answer! Your description of Groin Punch is spot on with what I fucking hate about these books.

However, perhaps I'll give it a go after the other books that I have on deck. Maybe it won't be as fucking bad as the last one.

And I totally get that in order to progress at even 10000% of the rate of everyone else in the universe, Zak would still be spending centuries in contemplation eventually, but the author needs to fucking just skip all that and say something to the effect of, "After centuries spent edging himself to his core, Zak finally emerged with his new evolved ability, Docking." I don't need a fucking description of the entire process in excruciating detail. Fuck me I hate that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Thanks. I gave you a like for taking the time to answer me, not because I actually liked your answer! Your description of Groin Punch is spot on with what I fucking hate about these books.

However, perhaps I'll give it a go after the other books that I have on deck. Maybe it won't be as fucking bad as the last one.

And I totally get that in order to progress at even 10000% of the rate of everyone else in the universe, Zak would still be spending centuries in contemplation eventually, but the author needs to fucking just skip all that and say something to the effect of, "After centuries spent edging himself to his core, Zak finally emerged with his new evolved ability, Docking." I don't need a fucking description of the entire process in excruciating detail. Fuck me I hate that.
I'm reading the latest Primal Hunter which the author says was influenced by defiance of the fall. It really does feel like it's in the same universe and the protagonist, Jake, is a "heaven's chosen" from a different earth-like planet that was integrated at the same time. Instead of being totally isolated on the frontier with no backing like Zak, Jake is instead given massive protection and close involvement with one of the great supremacies who picked him out as a system-breaking prodigy.

There's a few obvious differences, of course, in that the system in Defiance of the Fall is more active, hostile and is exposed as a powerful creation rather than the universe itself like in Primal Hunter. But generally in my head-canon I think of them as the same universe.

Anyway, in Primal Hunter it's exactly like you describe. Jake just spent 40 years in time-dilated seclusion and it's covered in a chapter or two of him basically sparring in an inner world. All the progression happens super quick. It's convenient but I think it lacks some of the depth granted by the laborious cultivation in Defiance of the Fall.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm reading the latest Primal Hunter which the author says was influenced by defiance of the fall. It really does feel like it's in the same universe and the protagonist, Jake, is a "heaven's chosen" from a different earth-like planet that was integrated at the same time. Instead of being totally isolated on the frontier with no backing like Zak, Jake is instead given massive protection and close involvement with one of the great supremacies who picked him out as a system-breaking prodigy.

There's a few obvious differences, of course, in that the system in Defiance of the Fall is more active, hostile and is exposed as a powerful creation rather than the universe itself like in Primal Hunter. But generally in my head-canon I think of them as the same universe.

Anyway, in Primal Hunter it's exactly like you describe. Jake just spent 40 years in time-dilated seclusion and it's covered in a chapter or two of him basically sparring in an inner world. All the progression happens super quick. It's convenient but I think it lacks some of the depth granted by the laborious cultivation in Defiance of the Fall.
I read that latest Primal Hunter book and that's how I vastly prefer things. I don't even care if you spend a chapter or three on it, but then be done with it and get back to something more interesting.

However, that being said, everything else is too easy for Jake so that's starting to get a little bit tired. I still like most of the content, but any time he fights something now it is just too easy, barely an inconvenience. I get that these guys will never die (except Jason Asano), but still, make them work for it.

And I swear to fucking God, I want to know who started the fucking smirking and snorting in books recently. Jake is one of the worst about that, although that recent one, We Hunt Monsters, might have taken the crown.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I read that latest Primal Hunter book and that's how I vastly prefer things. I don't even care if you spend a chapter or three on it, but then be done with it and get back to something more interesting.

However, that being said, everything else is too easy for Jake so that's starting to get a little bit tired. I still like most of the content, but any time he fights something now it is just too easy, barely an inconvenience. I get that these guys will never die (except Jason Asano), but still, make them work for it.

And I swear to fucking God, I want to know who started the fucking smirking and snorting in books recently. Jake is one of the worst about that, although that recent one, We Hunt Monsters, might have taken the crown.
Yeah the author said outright that the book is supposed to be a relaxed experience about a dude that likes to hunt and do alchemy. So it's kind of an opposite of Zak who is always in desperate, impossible situations.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the author said outright that the book is supposed to be a relaxed experience about a dude that likes to hunt and do alchemy. So it's kind of an opposite of Zak who is always in desperate, impossible situations.
I'm always afraid to read more in-depth about authors these days! Or really anyone that I like the content they produce, movies, comics, music, whatever.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Savage Awakening, so far read one and a half of them. Not bad, not great.

Main dude is VASTLY OP for almost the entire story so far. He starts as sort of a berserker who gets stronger the more damage he takes, but that is really only a bonus at this point. Imagine Colossus and Wolverine combined, including Wolverine's (comic book version) love of a good fight. Too much of that "must fight" to be honest. With some fire and lightning powers thrown in for good measure, because why wouldn't he be humongously unfair?

It also has its own version of the Dao and other similar bullshit, but thankfully the author does this super helpful thing where he writes stuff in bold, so when dude sits down to contemplate his own asshole stink, it goes something like this:

blah blah
blah
blah blah blah blah
Law Comprehended!
Minor Law of Dick Sucking (Faggotry).

So I can just skim all that bullshit, read the Law he learned, skim for a couple more, then see which Major Law he learned by combining them. Because who gives a shit if he got some insight into grasping the veiny shaft, feeling the contour of the mushroom head, sucking out the gravy, etc? All I need to know is that he knows how to Suck Dick (System version) now, and he's well on his way to truly learning Faggotry. It also is nowhere near the endless chapter after chapter that DotF subjects you to. And lately it has gotten shorter and shorter, often just a paragraph between Minor Laws.

Honestly the big draw to the series are the side characters. Much like DotF, they are vastly more interesting than the main guy, but unlike DotF they are distinct and interesting and entertaining. DotF pretty much just shunts characters away for eons at a time, and when they come back most of the time you can't tell them apart because they all are consumed by the "must get stronger" crap that Zack has. In this one they are very distinct and fun. Only a few of them so far, so maybe once there are dozens it might get harder, but right now there are really only 3 main side characters and then maybe 3 others that matter even the slightest. And that's fine, because I'd rather learn more about them than just have them be props for whatever bullshit the author needs to happen. Avery (girl) is awesome, while Evan is adorable but I also feel he was supposed to be like 12 but for legal/convenience reasons he was made 18. No one, no matter how sheltered, acts the way he does at 18. But he's still cute, like a puppy, and that's just fine.

I will say that the first half of the first book, the main guy (Zane) is pretty fucking dense and hard to care about. He gets a little better though. And at least he isn't some anxious autist like every other fucking series; he's more like a closet sociopath who has trouble caring about or feeling things like normal people, but without any outwardly evil tendencies, just a desire to "feel alive" by fighting.

I've read worse, and I'll continue for now. Surprisingly despite the main guy being completely ridiculously overpowered it is ok for now. He gets the shit beat out of him all the time, but just like all these books, you know he isn't going to die so it isn't really that useful for making him less OP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Savage Awakening, so far read one and a half of them. Not bad, not great.

Main dude is VASTLY OP for almost the entire story so far. He starts as sort of a berserker who gets stronger the more damage he takes, but that is really only a bonus at this point. Imagine Colossus and Wolverine combined, including Wolverine's (comic book version) love of a good fight. Too much of that "must fight" to be honest. With some fire and lightning powers thrown in for good measure, because why wouldn't he be humongously unfair?

It also has its own version of the Dao and other similar bullshit, but thankfully the author does this super helpful thing where he writes stuff in bold, so when dude sits down to contemplate his own asshole stink, it goes something like this:

blah blah
blah
blah blah blah blah
Law Comprehended!
Minor Law of Dick Sucking (Faggotry).

So I can just skim all that bullshit, read the Law he learned, skim for a couple more, then see which Major Law he learned by combining them. Because who gives a shit if he got some insight into grasping the veiny shaft, feeling the contour of the mushroom head, sucking out the gravy, etc? All I need to know is that he knows how to Suck Dick (System version) now, and he's well on his way to truly learning Faggotry. It also is nowhere near the endless chapter after chapter that DotF subjects you to. And lately it has gotten shorter and shorter, often just a paragraph between Minor Laws.

Honestly the big draw to the series are the side characters. Much like DotF, they are vastly more interesting than the main guy, but unlike DotF they are distinct and interesting and entertaining. DotF pretty much just shunts characters away for eons at a time, and when they come back most of the time you can't tell them apart because they all are consumed by the "must get stronger" crap that Zack has. In this one they are very distinct and fun. Only a few of them so far, so maybe once there are dozens it might get harder, but right now there are really only 3 main side characters and then maybe 3 others that matter even the slightest. And that's fine, because I'd rather learn more about them than just have them be props for whatever bullshit the author needs to happen. Avery (girl) is awesome, while Evan is adorable but I also feel he was supposed to be like 12 but for legal/convenience reasons he was made 18. No one, no matter how sheltered, acts the way he does at 18. But he's still cute, like a puppy, and that's just fine.

I will say that the first half of the first book, the main guy (Zane) is pretty fucking dense and hard to care about. He gets a little better though. And at least he isn't some anxious autist like every other fucking series; he's more like a closet sociopath who has trouble caring about or feeling things like normal people, but without any outwardly evil tendencies, just a desire to "feel alive" by fighting.

I've read worse, and I'll continue for now. Surprisingly despite the main guy being completely ridiculously overpowered it is ok for now. He gets the shit beat out of him all the time, but just like all these books, you know he isn't going to die so it isn't really that useful for making him less OP.

The comparison to DotF is accurate: this is similarly a cultivation novel with a System superimposed. The MC is the typical Genius-In-Ten-Thousand-Years protagonist, only with an IQ of 90 and a brawl of 999 (in cultivation, genius isn't about your IQ, it's about how good you are at cultivating, period).

Since I'm reading it on Patreon, I had no idea how the books are split from the ongoing series. If you're reading on KU, the first two books cover all up to the final test before Earth's integration into the Dragonspine Galaxy. Book 3 seems to have two arcs: the final dungeon run, then the rest of the galaxy can start picking their jaws up because now, all of his exploits can be broadcast all over the place. Popcorn fun. So far, no deviation from the general theme. No idea how book 3 is going to go, since there doesn't seem to be a cliffhanger in view, and we're getting close to a 100 chapters.

Evan, of course, introduces the use of popcorn to the great faction that recruits him, so they can all enjoy the spectacle of big bro Zane on big screen

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user