LitRPG

Void

BAU BAU
<Gold Donor>
This just shows that authors can turn it around. The first book I read by Phil Tucker (The Path of Flames, Chronicles of the Black Gate #1) made me never want to read anything he wrote ever again. It was shitty and some of it felt like it was expressly designed to piss me off. It was only by accident that I read Bastion without realizing it was the same guy, and the "demon" aspect was probably what made me give it a shot. I'm glad I did, but holy fuck The Path of Flames should be removed from his catalog, and probably that whole series if it is similar in quality. I'd be embarrassed to have someone read my newer (good) stuff and then check out my older works and encounter that.

I haven't read any other series by him for fear of ruining the good thing.

Void

BAU BAU
<Gold Donor>
The third quest academy book came out, really enjoyed the first two. Only about a quarter of the way through this one, and it’s started a bit slow. Hopefully it picks up, but it’s still pretty good.
Not wanting to read any more of the other series I've started that have dogshit main characters (as documented in this thread), I started the first book of this series. 20% into it and I'm already really enjoying it. Aside from my natural proclivity for enjoying school settings, the characters are already more relatable and easy to root for than half of the ones in this genre. I'm sure it helps that every chick is a mega-hottie too, but if I hated the main character none of that would matter. This guy seems pretty cool so far, and his ability is great while verging on OP of course, but who cares? Losers don't get books written about them! Or if they do (generally by some author who writes from the cuck chair), I don't want to read them.

Thanks for mentioning the series here!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Polaris

Lord Nagafen Raider
This just shows that authors can turn it around. The first book I read by Phil Tucker (The Path of Flames, Chronicles of the Black Gate #1) made me never want to read anything he wrote ever again. It was shitty and some of it felt like it was expressly designed to piss me off. It was only by accident that I read Bastion without realizing it was the same guy, and the "demon" aspect was probably what made me give it a shot. I'm glad I did, but holy fuck The Path of Flames should be removed from his catalog, and probably that whole series if it is similar in quality. I'd be embarrassed to have someone read my newer (good) stuff and then check out my older works and encounter that.

I haven't read any other series by him for fear of ruining the good thing.
I actually have the audiobooks for that downloaded, and thought it sounded interesting, but haven't really gotten around to it (I have such an absurdly massive collection of shit to listen to).

At any rate - just finished Bastien and definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next. Going to start listening to book 2 soon.

Are there any good ones that have something similar to like a DnD style pugilist, or the like. I've always been obsessed with Hand to Hand combat specifically, so anything like that would be really interesting to me.