Ludum Dare

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've seen the IPI stuff, but I haven't tried it. It is a bit too expensive for me right now, but they do seem to be the best for home / cheapass indie use. Maybe by the time I have the dough to spend the durango kinect, which is supposed to be more accurate and wider fov will be out.

I'm back working on some web stuff for now, but want to pick it back up in a couple weeks. I'm thinking if I can find someone local with a treadmill I might take a netbook and see if I can record with that. I'll test it here and make sure it captures quick enough.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
As for C#, for now it is great, really fast to develop with. All my tools save in binary though so I could very easily write C++ that uses my skinned models and bsp maps and such. I'd probably be a bit rusty but most of my code over the years has been C++.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Hurray! I'm very ready. Got some basic directional and point (cubemap) shadows and pathfinding going. I want to try to build a nice player character this time. I usually try and bail back to first person because it takes so long but I've gotten a lot faster.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm kind of excited to see what the theme is. I suck at coding still (tbh I've been working on art related stuff more than coding) but I think I'll give it a shot this weekend.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I'm not crazy about the theme, since due to the very nature of the competition (48 hours), minimalism is always a goal.

But either way, managed to put together a simple game.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum...view&uid=19340

or direct link for the Web version
http://downloads.happypolygon.com/Lu...ckbuilder.html

rrr_img_22850.png

(title screen, did everything without text...)

rrr_img_22850.png

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Sort of, I posted it, but it is really broken as is. Working on fixing it up, spent most of today on that. It was sort of barely playable and not finishable as posted.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm surprised nobody has actually made a full game like that tbh Lenny. Pretty cool tho. I didn't end up finishing as something came up both saturday and sunday
frown.png
there's always next time. Next time I'll be more prepared as well.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I got a chance to sit down and try out Minnie&Mal. It was fun, and I think it was better than the previous entry you made. The AI was simple, but performed well as far as I could see (though I did manage to blow one up into the "rafters" and he got stuck). I actually really liked the companion AI, which left me the ability to pick a character and play, without having to micro-manage the other.

I managed to get into every room and blow up the world, which I guess was the ultimate goal?

The lighting & shadows were a bit trippy, and I think just started to get a headache by the time the world exploded. Longer would've been tough.

It was a solid LD type entry. I dislike the mentality some devs seem to have; that the "game" should be hyper-experimental or an "experience." Give me a game to play! And you did do that. Thumbs up!
smile.png

As for your post mortem, that wasn't too long. Though it seems to have cut off mid-sentence, as the last paragraph consists of:

Near the deadline, things got a little. weird. Started seeing really strange behaviours and odd collisions in game, and my lighting had strange splotches I couldn't explain. I starte

So perhaps it was longer and was truncated? Not sure.

---------

Screenshot of the guy in the rafters.
DXbIdxT.jpg

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Oh wow it did cut it off, wonder if I went over some limit. Haha that screen is awesome. You must have hit him with a quick one two fireball punch.

Did you play the post compo? It makes it way more playable and there's another ending choice instead of blowing up the world. There are still a few minor bugs, but it plays pretty well.

The bugs I found making this were so valuable. I'm still working on some of the real fundamentals that are causing problems. For pathing the navmesh uses a set of node faces that are only used for debugging vis problems (which I haven't had in years). They really aren't appropriate for making a navmesh and I've already ran into problems with them.

So I'll be spending a day or ten back in my bsp compiler, which I figured I'd never do.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I played the version available from this link on the day it was posted:

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...l=1#post198126

So I'm not really sure which version it was, it's been sitting on my HD since the start of the week.

I thought the pathfinding was more than appropriate for this project. I did notice that they stopped chasing me, as I was out of mana and ran all the way back to the start of the game to regen. I figured they gave up and reset.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Cool that is post compo, though I've updated it several times. They will give up if they are chasing and they can't see you and you get further than x distance away. If they are injured though they will go to a healing area to heal up before going "home", so you kind of have to start over with them.

I've still yet to finish it on hard difficulty. I probably should have labeled it "tedious". It is hard, but you spend most of your time waiting on mana regen. Need clarity!

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Posted a finalish build, better mana regen, all pathing and collision stuff fixed, and a bunch of visual tweaks.

Was going to throw this up on xbox indies for laughs, but my developer sub expired!
biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
27 in 4 days and my libs are all messed up. Hopefully I don't have to work much this week so I have time to fix them. Been hacking in a goofy solution for dynamic lights for the hidef version that uses shader model 3. I just don't have enough instructions left with 2.0, so the netbooky version will have no dynamic lights.