Ludum Dare

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Four rounds of themes have gone up for voting. The first 3 sets I think I put a plus next to one or two, they were mostly blah. The fourth had some stuff I really liked.

Round 1 results favor "10 seconds" one of the ones I minused.

I think usually the voting is ignored anyway and they just pick whatever they feel like. The last good theme I can remember was Escape. The rest of been kind of awful.

I've been hastily hacking some dynamic lights back in to my libs.
http://youtu.be/PExXXpF8dWM

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
Yeah I get the feeling they just end up picking whatever they want too.

Nice lighting. The whole visual portrayal has definitely a unique look to it. How much of that is intentional and how much is accidental or emergent?

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
More the latter due to haste. Today I tried out several layers of post processing and ended up with some useful tricks. Some of the accidents I might end up using for power up modes.
rrr_img_41189.jpg
rrr_img_41190.jpg

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Well the one I most wanted to lose won, but I think I have a good idea, and actually planned most of it out. Not sure I'll have time to make it all though. I don't have anything running yet.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm still up in the air on doing it. Girlfriend is out of town this weekend, so I'm leaning towards "Yes".

Corruption could be an interesting theme, though I am currently drawing a blank on what to do in such a time period.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
It turned out to be "You only get one". I've been having a tough time with sleep. Get super tired and start messing up but can't sleep.

Anyway doing a turn based combat thing where you get to pick one additional soldier after every mission. That's the idea at least, only have basic movement with some temp art so far.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed by the theme. I'm working on a game where you only have "one finger" and must match a pattern. The initial mechanics are worked out, but I'm finding myself tired and needing to do all the busy/polish work.

It'll be interesting to see yours when its done, as that sounds like an interesting way to implement the theme.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
Aw man, I said "interesting" twice. Hah, guess I'm more tired than I thought. But I do like your entries, as you tend to not do an "obvious" interpretation of the theme and that's always fun.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I got sick! I thought I was just cold but it was fever. Fever is great for thinking stuff up but not very good for actual productivity. I think I worked about 8 hours tops and slept the rest.

I didn't get very far, just a basic charge and attack AI, and simple turn based movement and attack.
rrr_img_53496.jpg

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Haha playing yours. It got stuck on round 5 or so a couple times but I kept at it. Cool that you did an intro and such.

Once it gets up past 5 or so notes I'm useless
biggrin.png
My memory sucks

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
The "getting stuck" part is super frustrating. I experienced it once or twice in the editor (out of dozens of plays), but once I compiled it, it seemed to get stuck more often. While I doubt the actual act of compiling it caused or exacerbated the issue, it feels more frequent than it should. I've been experimenting with coroutines to do things like displaying the messages, and setting the game's state, and I suspect that might be it a big part of it.

Oh well, it was a good learning experience, even if it's slightly buggier than usual. Which build did you play? Web or win or other? Thanks for playing it!

Did you get yours submitted? Or are you going to submit today for the jam?

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Web. I am not sure how unity works but I know for most programming langs running in debug makes things less likely to behave strangely, and running in a debugger even moreso.

I didn't submit anything no. Monday was funny because I stayed awake like 20 hours. Wish that would have happened over the weekend. I was in a fever induced stupor though, I doubt I would have gotten much done.

The game is really too similar to what I've been working on lately to bother finishing. I've been toying around with xcom style combat. The more I play with it the more I think I like the 4th edition style move/act vs time units.