Ludum Dare

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
Theme is "Beneath the surface".

I've decided to do a puzzle sort of game. You have a downward sonar that pings off underwater (invisible to player) objects. The player then has to drop sonar bouys to mark the tops of the underwater mountain peaks. The player is then scored based on accuracy and time.

Been working on the visuals up until now, but already got a simple mountain generator in the works.

V9qZNd7.gif

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
All my code was in the middle of a big port from xna to dx11. All I have is basic mesh and material stuff working. It is hard to do a game with no collision stuff. I might not make it.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I didn't make it. I had the gameplay working with a sonar game, but it was just boring as shit. Switched Saturday night to a "Free Diving" concept, but just didn't have enough time to execute on it.

Nvl0jE3.gif

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
It's about that time again! I've been working long hours so haven't had much time to get my stuff ready. Wrote stuff for fonts and text today, need to figure out how to do audio between now and friday somehow.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Ludum Dare coming up again. Theme voting has started and it looks like we've been flooded with mechanic-restriction-as-a-theme again. You are a bullet! You are on a single screen! I wonder how that crap makes the cut? Maybe someone is hiring a botnet to get their own terrible ideas voted up.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Well I think this time I'm going to brainstorm ideas ahead of time.

Apparently the list is in popular order according to previous votes, so generally the top 5 contains the winner.

So I'm coming up with ideas for the top few. Indirect control I've got nothin on.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Lovely
rrr_img_131133.png

I don't even have access to those files. Not even really sure how this is possible.

The theme is pretty good this time at least.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've got a few monster types and spawners and movement and a simple level.

Just did the basics of stats and items and gear and such. Enemies start with random gearsets.

But a big storm just hit so that might be the end of it if the power goes out.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I'm going to take an extra day and do the jam. Combat is working, have a health bar (that was an asspain), but need alot of UI stuff to make it playable (stats, gear, inventory). Also haven't done my themey stuff yet or puzzly stuff. If I don't make it by tomorrow night I will probably go ahead and finish it anyway. I think it will be fun.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I had so much fun making this I'm going to work on it more. Been jotting ideas down all week while working on my real job.

Was thinking about how awkward click to attack is and how to improve it and was thinking about a dual analog stick kind of move/aim gamepad way. Friend said that dungeon siege 3 already does this and that it worked well.

Something tricksy I've been thinking about is how to do everquest style loot in random dungeons. I'd rather not have fixed positions respawning every 24 minutes, but if there are no respawns it would be a lot of trash clearing. Imagine fighting down to the ghoul lord just to kill him once, leave/repeat 20x until you get what you want.

I was thinking of "camps" having a reinforcement mechanism. Like say you found an area similar to the live tower in guk and cleared it out. After awhile, frogs would start trickling back in from closed off or unreachable parts of the dungeon to try to kick you out.

The longer you stay, the more difficult the attack waves get and maybe the chance of the rare beastie and item goes up a bit?

Navmesh stuff is so good now I think it wouldn't be too hard to make this work even in randomly generated dungeons.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've only had time to rate 6 games and I've got 17 votes. Usually it is the other way around. What a difference being web playable makes!