Making a Murderer (Netflix) - New info

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The bullet yes, the key was found like the fourth day. Coincidentally after Lenk and Colburn were on the property.
actually they were there every day searching the same spot. the one cop knew these guys were being sued by avery and watched them like a hawk. a different cop was with them when the key was "discovered". he didnt know anything about the lawsuit or that he had to watch them.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Most likely the first theory is correct. Colbourn found the car and the dead girl and the county found a way to avoid paying out 36 million dollars
This is what I think happened. Either they had no evidence to really go on and decided to clean up their Avery problem or they just didn't care and decided to clean up their Avery problem.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Just binge watched this over two days

Holy fuck

How the hell Brendan is still in jail after all that 'evidence' and is still denied to chance to appeal his conviction is pure WTF.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
This is what I think happened. Either they had no evidence to really go on and decided to clean up their Avery problem or they just didn't care and decided to clean up their Avery problem.
Pretty much what I think happened on the Police side...However, it wouldn't surprise me if Avery's family had something to do with the murder...Some of the Avery men have a number of sexual and physical abuse charges...In addition, some of them were not pleased with his return from jail.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I did not like how the brother seemed to always believe the worst about Steven. Seemed weird after being falsely convicted. I felt during the show that the brother would have been a good suspect because he was eager to help the police and had to know Steven would be a target if it was not the ex boyfriend.

This is interesting too.

'Making a Murderer': Steven Avery Thought Brothers Framed Him | Rolling Stone

As far as possible motives, Avery claimed they ranged from Charles' desire to "frame Steven over money [following his wrongful imprisonment settlement], a share of the family business, and over Jodi Stachowski," Steven's girlfriend at the time. Charles Avery also had a history of assaulting women who visited the Avery's salvage yard.

Earl Avery similarly had a criminal history, having been charged with sexually abusing his two daughters in 1995. He also eagerly assisted police in their investigation of Steven Avery.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Making a Murderer co-directors Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos said that Avery's legal team wasn't allowed to broach the topic of other suspects during Avery's murder trial. "The defense said if it was given the opportunity, they'd like to argue it wasn't Steven Avery but it may have been this person or that person," Demos said. "And the judge said, basically, 'You haven't met your burden of proof and I'm not going to allow you to mention any of those people by name. But you can name Brendan [Dassey],'" Avery's nephew whose (possibly coerced) statement pegged Avery to Halbach's murder.

Fedor

<Banned>
these "leg irons" are clearly torture devices

Yji2IKs.jpg

Neki

Molten Core Raider
The Google maps reviews for Manitowoc Police Department and Kratz's law firm are something of beauty

Also,

12509730_10153836885927838_8536903225587672515_n.jpg

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Cad, is it possible for a lawyer to take up Avery's case even though it sounds like he has lost his appeals? I know they talked about new evidence being the only way to get a new trial now but there has to be something a lawyer could take to the federal level?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It just means the state won't pay for his lawyer to make more appeals. He can appeal til he drops dead. If a lawyer wants to take his case pro bono, they can.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I gotta imagine with the the exposure and notoriety this doc series is gaining, he would have lawyers lined up around the block willing to take his case pro bono.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I gotta imagine with the the exposure and notoriety this doc series is gaining, he would have lawyers lined up around the block willing to take his case pro bono.
Truth is, if this lawyer were to win, there could be the potential of a monstrous payout. Hell, could Steven conceivably sue the FBI?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cad, is it possible for a lawyer to take up Avery's case even though it sounds like he has lost his appeals? I know they talked about new evidence being the only way to get a new trial now but there has to be something a lawyer could take to the federal level?
Even with unlimited funds there's only so much you can do. But I don't think Avery has done a federal habeas corpus motion yet, which is one of the big things for these hillbilly convictions. But the court of appeals has already reviewed Avery's conviction and let it stand, and the Wisconsin supreme court declined to review.

Most of what we're talking about here is "we don't think the evidence supported the verdict" and let me tell you, those kind of appeals hardly ever work. Appeals work when there was something procedural the police didn't follow. In this case, we think the police planted evidence, but the jury was presented that and didn't buy it. Thats a fact question for the jury.

Also, I don't know about WI but most of the shit we disagree with that the judge did are evidentiary rulings. We think the confession should have been kept out, we think the search was unreasonable, etc... but those are not reviewed de novo by the appeals court, they're reviewed for abuse of discretion. It is VERY difficult to overturn a ruling on an abuse of discretion standard. Trial court judges have very wide latitude on that.

So... it's going to be tough. New evidence would be ideal.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe maybe not; criminal lawyers usually aren't too short of work anyway, and spending years of your life working for free doesn't tend to pay back.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
Can people please stop bringing up the 36 million dollar lawsuit as motive for the county and agencies involved to frame Avery? Just because someone claims an amount doesn't mean they will be awarded that much, or anywhere close to it. Any lawyers involved would know that immediately, and most people with common sense would too.

In the end he settled for around 400k.