Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yes, all separate, no financial friction

We have friends that are married and keep finances mostly separate so I know this isn't that out there, but I'll never understand this. Is this common in marriages these days? Any of you other married guys live like this? My wife and I combined finances before we were even married.

Seems so weird and ass pain to not be combined.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You have a medical condition Xarpolis Xarpolis ? I never would have guessed that when I met you, you seemed the picture of health.

Regardless of the stuff you posted about her family, I'd say that @Control is pretty on the money here. Japanese women are conditioned to treat their husband as the breadwinner and that culture is a hard thing to break. She never had any problems with you when you were employed with a good job right?

I hate to say it, but Japanese women tend to look at marriage as a business transaction rather than a love thing. They pick a guy with a stable job and income and settle in to become a mother by 30, at which time they will quit their job and settle into being a homebody. Have you ever talked to her about her future plans? She's a nurse, but does she want to stay a nurse or does she want to become a full time mum?

A Japanese woman wanting a divorce is like.. ridiculously rare. Divorces in general are very, very low in Japan (probably because of that marrying as a partnership thing rather than for love - as long as your guy is still providing or your woman is still taking care of the kids, all is right) - a lot of my students can't stand their wife, and this is a big part of why Japanese men work so much.

Sooo, the fact that she brought this up point blank. I'm frankly shocked. I have to imagine it's pregnancy hormones and your lack of job related. My advice? Talk to her parents. They can probably give you a bead on what's going on.. and it may be a bit underhanded but they will probably put a word into her ear not to do it. No Japanese parents wants their pregnant mother of soon to be two to be thinking they want a divorce.
Everything seems to be going much better now. She had her own version of a wake up call, I guess. After thinking about all the great things I do for both her and Natsumi, she was saddened by the idea of me being a full time person in either of their lives.

As far as sick, yeah. MS is a disease, and I have it. It doesn't effect me that much, but I do have it. My doctor once told me that after looking at my MRI results, he is rather surprised that I'm not in a wheelchair at the least. I *SHOULD* have a lot more damage than an occasionally getting numb or losing my eyesight.

But, Hawaii is great for the disease. I'm no longer on any medication, and I feel great.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
There's been plenty of examples in this thread alone of couples where both work full-time but since the guy makes more the woman needs to do more chores to make up for the guy providing her a better lifestyle. This never seems to apply going the opposite direction somehow.

Link it

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
We have friends that are married and keep finances mostly separate so I know this isn't that out there, but I'll never understand this. Is this common in marriages these days? Any of you other married guys live like this? My wife and I combined finances before we were even married.

Seems so weird and ass pain to not be combined.

Yeah, a lot of people I work with keep their banking separate. I don't understand it either. Honestly, one of the first things I did when we moved in together (not even married) was just merging our bank accounts because A) I didn't think she was the type to blow through the cash and B) I didn't want to have to keep some sort of financial scoreboard. In the past, I've only seen head and heartache from that.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, a lot of people I work with keep their banking separate. I don't understand it either. Honestly, one of the first things I did when we moved in together (not even married) was just merging our bank accounts because A) I didn't think she was the type to blow through the cash and B) I didn't want to have to keep some sort of financial scoreboard. In the past, I've only seen head and heartache from that.

Ya the only way I see doing that is if one party has serious spending problems or other financial issues, in which case I'd have thought long and hard about sharing a life with that person. It's just super weird to me. Neither my wife and I are big shoppers. If we spend a few hundred on something we'll let the other person know after the fact and if we're doing purchases in the 1000+ range we obviously chat about it first.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'd expect my wife to WANT to do that kind of shit for the same reason that I (mostly) WANT to do the stupid man bullshit.

That's the whole rub, isn't it? You can't negotiate desire. It's either there(genuinely)or it isn't. You do these things out of a genuine desire of ownership and/or seeing your partner happy. No amount of marriage counseling, choreplay, or piss-funneling is going to change that very important fact - which is precisely why marriage "counseling" is such a fucking farce to begin with.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Tell her you'll split up the month, first half you live under the oppression of the matriarchy and the second half she'll live under the patriarchy. Better find an apron that fits and learn to iron.
I have aprons any of you can borrow but even I don't iron.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its not a farce when it helps bridge a communications divide, but I have never heard of it ever fixing anything else.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Incidentally, we have three pages of communication because of a podcast and the word patriarchy. Yay!

Also, G and I melded finances before we were married. I always made more. I worked more cumulatively and I did more around the house. I chose all of that. Turns out it prepared me pretty well for having to be on my own and take care of everything. Honestly though, I do sometime find it exhausting and think about chucking it all and living in a tent in some temperate climate.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have to agree with P Picasso3 that some women just have a drama quota.

I know it will surprise you all but in our marriage we have that same problem, from both of us.

A day ago we were getting the Explorer an oil change at the stealership and she was with me. I have had the same woman take care of my paperwork every single time, I won't assume she remembers all 4 or 5 times I have been there though. I call the car a she. So I say "she complained that she needed an oil change so I brought here in" and the clerk nodded. The wife had to act all weird that I was calling a car a she. Delayed the process a bit while she huffed about it causing me to turn around and get annoyed with her.

When it was all done the lady brought the keys in and said "she's all done". I of course had to rub it in. The wife was annoyed for a bit.

Totally none of that is a real issue but we both had to create a minor amount of drama over it because we have no real problems to speak of.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't really understand separate finances. Everyone I know In RL that does that is having issues

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We have had 0 impetus to combine them. We'll chase quickpay back and forth on some stuff.

Last edited:

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I can't really understand separate finances. Everyone I know In RL that does that is having issues

That's because finances ARE the issue.

There's 2 kinds of people - spenders and savers. And within those categories, someone is always more of one than the other.

Combining finances leads to a lot of arguments about money unless one person is control of handing out the money, you're going to get arguments about one or both spending money.

Separate finances eliminates that argument and both parties are free to do what they want as long as the bills get paid.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
All of the income from my wife and me gets dumped in to one account. Then, there are automatic withdrawals to accounts for me and her and the kids (see earlier when I talked about allowances). The money that goes to separate accounts for wifey and me is small, $200 a month, and it is intended to be spent for things like surprise gifts for birthday/Christmas, dinners out (we treat each other), and so forth. Common expenses like groceries, and even clothes for ourselves come out of the common account. I can't imagine keeping finances separate in any way. We even make sure to spend time together regularly looking at the finances to make sure we both understand what's going on.

I make roughly ten times what my wife makes. I do all the cooking, and as much of the laundry as I can manage. I also do the maintenance/repair work around the house, and mow the lawn. My wife and I share kid duties, but my time is more flexible than hers, so I end up doing a lot of the kid stuff, too.

And yet, this is an equal partnership. I will share 100% of what I make, I will share 100% of my time, I will do so happily. If she asked me to separate finances our relationship would be fundamentally altered. It's just now how we work, and I hope to never work that way.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I have to agree with P Picasso3 that some women just have a drama quota.

I know it will surprise you all but in our marriage we have that same problem, from both of us.

A day ago we were getting the Explorer an oil change at the stealership and she was with me. I have had the same woman take care of my paperwork every single time, I won't assume she remembers all 4 or 5 times I have been there though. I call the car a she. So I say "she complained that she needed an oil change so I brought here in" and the clerk nodded. The wife had to act all weird that I was calling a car a she. Delayed the process a bit while she huffed about it causing me to turn around and get annoyed with her.

When it was all done the lady brought the keys in and said "she's all done". I of course had to rub it in. The wife was annoyed for a bit.

Totally none of that is a real issue but we both had to create a minor amount of drama over it because we have no real problems to speak of.

Thats a far cry from her demanding marriage counseling.

Last edited: