Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Your problem is you aren't giving her enough to complain about. You have to make sure she has plenty to complain about when her co-workers complain, and she has to be able to one up at least half of them otherwise you're a failure as a man.

How much do I owe you?

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
No problem hiring a maid and i said I'd pay for it. So we're doing that but like i said we have a drama quota we have to meet.

We make plenty and she makes about twice what I do.

0 kids, 0 actual problems.

0 kids, so you both work? Do you make roughly the same amount of money?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Lol ...I feel much shame now. Was just going WTF when he said 0 kids.

So your duel earners, walking in money but she feels there are problems.

Psst...she thinks she can do better.

Keep us posted on the counseling sessions those should be fun.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Picasso, I'll come visit you and we'll go out and party. That will give your wife something solid to complain about. Get the guest room ready.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
P Picasso3 Does she want children? I feel like this topic has come up before and you didn't want kids and she did.

• 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You said your wife is Japanese right or at least that she moved here from Japan? I feel like this HAS to be something you already know, but just in case... It maybe a bit stereotypical, but I'll go out on a limb and say she doesn't actually think a "good father" is someone who's great at taking care of the kids and cooking. I mean, expecting the dad to be the breadwinner is pretty universal, but in Japan, where a guy is defined by his job/company? Imo, none of the other stuff actually matters, she's lost respect for you because you aren't providing. That doesn't mean it's easy to fix, but trying to fix it by doing more chores is exactly the opposite of what will help the problem. If you want to save your marriage, fuck your pride, go get 2 minimum wage jobs, and be the best minimum wage employee ever until you upgrade.

You have a medical condition @Xarpolis ? I never would have guessed that when I met you, you seemed the picture of health.

Regardless of the stuff you posted about her family, I'd say that @Control is pretty on the money here. Japanese women are conditioned to treat their husband as the breadwinner and that culture is a hard thing to break. She never had any problems with you when you were employed with a good job right?

I hate to say it, but Japanese women tend to look at marriage as a business transaction rather than a love thing. They pick a guy with a stable job and income and settle in to become a mother by 30, at which time they will quit their job and settle into being a homebody. Have you ever talked to her about her future plans? She's a nurse, but does she want to stay a nurse or does she want to become a full time mum?

A Japanese woman wanting a divorce is like.. ridiculously rare. Divorces in general are very, very low in Japan (probably because of that marrying as a partnership thing rather than for love - as long as your guy is still providing or your woman is still taking care of the kids, all is right) - a lot of my students can't stand their wife, and this is a big part of why Japanese men work so much.

Sooo, the fact that she brought this up point blank. I'm frankly shocked. I have to imagine it's pregnancy hormones and your lack of job related. My advice? Talk to her parents. They can probably give you a bead on what's going on.. and it may be a bit underhanded but they will probably put a word into her ear not to do it. No Japanese parents wants their pregnant mother of soon to be two to be thinking they want a divorce.

Picasso3

P Picasso3 Does she want children? I feel like this topic has come up before and you didn't want kids and she did.

We're trending that way (neither of us have major hangups but don't want to give up freedom just yet, i said when i turn 30) but that's my major deal with these these manufactured problems. If she can't handle the lifestyle we have now then kids will surely end us.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
We're trending that way (neither of us have major hangups but don't want to give up freedom just yet, i said when i turn 30) but that's my major deal with these these manufactured problems. If she can't handle the lifestyle we have now then kids will surely end us.
Honestly, it sounds like you guys might need counseling, just not for the reasons she thinks you do.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Having kids is a great way to force your relationship problems into the background.

Or turn them up to 11.

• 1Solidarity

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
She makes 2x what you make? I think she finds chores bothersome because she is the breadwinner. You'll probably never get her to admit this to your face though.

Picasso3

She makes 2x what you make? I think she finds chores bothersome because she is the breadwinner. You'll probably never get her to admit this to your face though.

That's understandable and why i said we get a maid and I'd pay for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I tell all my friends who are (relatively) miserable in their marriages and childless to have an affair. Only a few ways it can go and none of them are particularly scary. She finds out and leaves you - things were shit anyways, so no biggie there (and no kids to consider). She finds out and you say it was due to the emotional stress her actions were burdening you with - she changes for the better and your bond is deepened. She never finds out, you cease to care what she thinks and continue doing it (a signal it's time to leave). She never finds out, it wrecks you mentally and you realize you were the fuck up and work through your issues. Regardless, it allows you and your wife to view things through a fresh lens (even if she never finds out, womens intuition is a helluva thing). Or, she could cheat on you and then you find her sister/best friend and get drunk with them and have a little fondle in an uber driving back from Chili's.

In my experience, I've had multiple friends go seek counseling for very similar reasons and it almost never works. My best friend, a multi millionaire actually got his wife pregnant during counseling and he's now/still one of the most miserable bastards I know. There is something inherently fucked up about a woman who requires a maid, I don't care how busy she is or how much money she makes (until you have kids, then all bets are off - hire 9 maids, a nanny and lawn guy).