Marriage and the Power of Divorce

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh, I'd do it. It's just that I literally cannot imagine what I would do all day.

Sit around and watch television? Swim in the pool all day? Fuck the cleaning lady?

I don't even.

Truth is I'd probably go neurotic trying to anticipate the whims of my meal ticket, and that sounds kinda hellish.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If I had the financial backing of a sugar mama, I would most likely want to do something like Khane suggested(ie: start a business). Even now I'd like to do that, but I'm way too conservative with my finances to take that kind of risk just yet.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Retirement doesn't appeal to me at all. I can see quitting your job to do a different job that you enjoy more and is less stressful, but the idea of a life of leisure does not sound enjoyable. Back when I used to have days off if I spent a Saturday just playing video games and didn't leave the house, I wanted to kill myself by the time I went to bed. If I was WTF rich and could do anything I wanted I could see spending a couple years just traveling fucking around but I think even in that situation I would have to get myself back into something productive before too long.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Man, if I had a sugar momma I'd start a bakery, and I'd let her drop by any time she wants and sample my creations.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If I had the financial backing of a sugar mama, I would most likely want to do something like Khane suggested(ie: start a business). Even now I'd like to do that, but I'm way too conservative with my finances to take that kind of risk just yet.
I can tell you that it is a hell of a lot more rewarding than working for the man. I kind of got pushed into it by circumstances or I don't know if I would have ever had the balls to quit my 8-5 government job with health insurance, but I enjoy my life way more than I did back then. If this situation ever went away for some reason I would definitely try to start another business rather than looking for another job.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Retirement doesn't appeal to me at all. I can see quitting your job to do a different job that you enjoy more and is less stressful, but the idea of a life of leisure does not sound enjoyable. Back when I used to have days off if I spent a Saturday just playing video games and didn't leave the house, I wanted to kill myself by the time I went to bed. If I was WTF rich and could do anything I wanted I could see spending a couple years just traveling fucking around but I think even in that situation I would have to get myself back into something productive before too long.
I would travel to cheapAF places and stick around for as long as they would let me. Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, Mediterranean countries, South America, Caribbean islands. Shit would be bomb. I don't think that would ever get boring.

Elsebet

Peasant
I would travel to cheapAF places and stick around for as long as they would let me. Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, Mediterranean countries, South America, Caribbean islands. Shit would be bomb. I don't think that would ever get boring.
This is kind of what we plan to do. I set my retirement date for Aug 1, 2032 the day I turn 55. At that point I want to move somewhere cheaper (we live in an expensive area) then take an RV around the states. When that gets boring (and depending on finances and if we have dogs still) I'd like to go live in other countries for a few months at a time. Then we'll return and try to find part-time jobs. We are DINK so I think beyond health issues this is probably doable financially.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I plan on entering what I call "semi-retirement" within the next five years or so. Six month IT contracts and six months of my silly side job that I love. Its going to be awesome. Assuming I can pull it off as I want.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I'd love to go independent and spend summers mostly goofing off while the kids are out of school but I'm not sure how to start. It's pretty nice having that steady check.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
One of the women I was dating was super into it, wanting to hang out and make plans all the time, sending kinky texts, being/having fun. Then a day later was all "I'm complicated, I'm an asshole, I don't feel like talking about it"

I said well if you're seeing other people that's cool because I am too, no need to make this something big right away, let's just have fun. We had a small back and forth about it with her ultimately saying it's too serious too fast, even though I said I'm not serious.

This is just what happens from time to time but it gets annoying when I say "No need to get serious" she then tells me I'm too serious. People are weird, they have a hard time just being honest and saying "I'm not interested". We never slept together, and only went out twice, it's fairly apparent what happened, she likes this other guy more (more accurately she probably slept with him and since I know her and her friends she's afraid of being labeled a slut). And since we met through mutual friends I can't wait to see how awkward she starts acting around me even though it's not a big deal at all.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Since the GTBYH thread is long since dead I'll ask here.

My GF and I have been together for 1.75 years now. It's been unfortunate after a fashion because there's been a LOT of change/chaos in our lives (mostly good change, but it's still disruptive). I'm starting to come to the realization that maybe this just won't work out. We'd known each other for maybe a year and a half before we started dating (I should say 'aware of', we didn't really hang out or anything). About 1 month after we started dating I accepted a position across the country. It was within the same company so there was still 3 months of prep and really 5-6 months total of pretty frequent travel back and forth. We ended up not wanting to just call it off so I (admittedly reluctantly) asked her if she wanted to move out here after a few months of the LTR thing. After that got settled, we had a few months peace then we went to a few weddings, brought her family dog back, it died a couple of months later, took a vaca to Vegas and I bought a house so now we're moving again. So good things besides the dog, but still chaotic. Of course the marriage thing has come up a few times, she knows I'm dead set against it and she's kept trying to change my opinion on it.

The problem is I'm eternally hopeful as a person but I'm a bitter realist with how I deal with situations day-to-day - so I let myself get frustrated while maintaining hope that things will get better. A few examples of what's started to turn me sour:
1) One night when I had a whole bunch of friends over back east we ended up playing a board game (I think Settlers of Cataan maybe) and she just basically said 'not interested' and went to bed. I was upset but I got over it, everyone has bad days whatever.
2) I took her to try to learn skiing twice. First time she refused to take a beginners lesson and just read a book in the lodge. Second time she relented, but basically got fantastically upset about falling over too much within 30 minutes and got frustrated and that was the end of that.
3) In Vegas, I wanted to walk back up to the strip from Ceasars and I was just kind of bushwacking along a side entrance for Limos to hop back out to the main road and she flat out turned around and walked away and left me because she felt 'uncomfortable' there was no sidewalk form I dunno 100 feet? There was no traffic on it and it went (visibly) right to the strip. So I had to double back and we had to go through the ENTIRE fucking mall again.

I feel like she just has this trouble/challenge/adversity = SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING mentality. I'm just tired of it. Some days it takes her 1.5-2 hours to get ready to go out - we're talking Walmart or groceries, not gala event. I've started to get pissy about it and she just shuts down even more. I don't know how else to go over it - go faster, do better, I don't know what the real issue is but fuck, I have to do things from time to time. I'm trying to be reasonable but lately it's just being more and more irritating. I know I'm impatient and very quick to judge people against higher standards than perhaps I should, but at some point I'm trying to figure out what the end-game is here. I've tried talking with her but it always ends up being a variant of "I know I need to do better, I'm going to work on that" with zero change. I do have to balance it out with the frequent life changes we've had to endure, though, and any time I start thinking about whether this is going to work out in the long term, if it's just more time/money/aggravation then it's worth, I feel guilty. I know she's the one who decided to move out here and this and that, and I do love a good deal about her, but I feel like I'm not asking for perfection when I want someone who can get ready to go in under 2 hours, tries new things from time to time (with the proper support) and actually trusts me. Not to toot my own horn, but I know she'd be devastated if I broke up with her (just more and more disruption in her life) and she still wants a future together and she's getting old enough where she can't just troll the bars for 15 years hoping to run into the right guy so this is adding even more to the guilt aspect of really analyzing the relationship or my feelings, so I keep delaying and using the excuses of life events for anything I find wrong.

Am I being too hard or unreasonable here? Is it just compatibility issues? Relationship challenges that can be overcome? Unbridgeable ravine? Part of the issue is this is the longest relationship I've been in at this point, so I don't know if the other women I dated were just try-hards at the beginning and this shit is women in a nutshell and I have unreasonable standards OR if it is a personality/personal issue.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The only thing I can relate to there is the ("I know I need to do better, I'm going to work on that" with zero change). I've known a few people where I've been in that situation with them. They didn't ever change. One of them is a family member I no longer want to speak to.

That's a difficult situation. I've become a pretty callous asshole over the years. I'd probably have ended it a while ago, or at least gone through the motions as a bargaining ploy. I'm just not very tolerant of that kind of resistance to self-improvement. I've changed over the years as I've confronted my failures, and I'm a better person for it. I'm currently not in a steady relationship though, and my move away from putting up with nonsense has had a lot to do with that. I miss having someone, but I'm happy not to have someone that upsets me.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I guess that's the thing. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle. I don't want kids so I'm struggling to see the reason to just keep dumping time and energy into a relationship. I'm used to having to cope with being alone day to day because of work/school/travel/whatever and honestly it's more comfortable to be without the extra variables and more fun to not have to compromise.

It's kind of sad but only when I compare it to the cultural norm of the 1950s that really only exists in Disney dreams.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you thought about just leaving her at home when you need to do stuff and she's taking forever?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah that's actually a good question. Did she blow a gasket when she doesn't want to do something and you do it without her? If the answer is no, then that's not particularly unreasonable.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well when she doesn't care, it doesn't matter to her for the most part EXCEPT she still wants to 'be with me' - hence the ski trips BS. Most of it is me trying to include her instead of just leave her ass behind to fend for itself. As for stuff where she 'wants' to do something but I would go do it myself, I guess I don't know. I usually do something online or VPN into work while waiting and get something done. So I guess there's only one way to find out: science.

I'll report back.

EDIT: part of the problem is she really hasn't made many 'friends' here. Neither have I, for that matter, but I still talk to all my friends online/play games/etc. Also, she chats occasionally with some people, but like most women I know it's more a 'everyone who was ever nice to me is my friend so I have to round robin check in with everyone!!!11one' bullshit whereas I have a few very good friends I make a point to interact with frequently and the rest just catch up when I see them.