Marvel Universe stuff

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
God damn it. I was typing out something relevant this whole conversation, and then my phone got screwed up because somebody called.

Anyways, I agree with you, I don't know if I had a guess we're probably on the same page.

Best line in the fucking movie.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Best line in the fucking movie.
I remember the theater being silent but completely full, and when he said that everybody erupted in laughter and cheers.

I saw the opening weekend at some shitty theater in Bryan Texas during that summer just a bunch of my buddies. I think it was after we all graduated high school.

It was a fun film especially you get into it with the opening scene of the techno music and him flying around murdering vampires, I'm in the last moment of ice skating.

A special effects for CGI doesn't hold up necessarily to this day, but I'm willing to squint and I can see it's wonderfulness.

Edit: stupid talk to text

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree but everyone is going to eventually be recast. Blade is really what kickstarted the current superhero movies; it was the baddest-ass thing in cinema, the Matrix before the Matrix, and Snipes was so awesome in the role. It was almost 30 years ago, though, so unless he is an IRL Vampire its OK to have Mahershalai Ali take over. The worse thing is they were doing the bait and switch girlboss thing with it, reportedly multiple girlbosses, which was causing him to want to bow out.

Blade? Are you kidding? I can't recall anyone I've ever known being excited to go see a Blade movie.

I think you are confusing Blade with the original Toby Maguire Spiderman, or Batman Begins. Those are what changed the men in tights movies from being campy goofy money grabs into serious blockbusters.

• 2Picard
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1WTF

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Blade? Are you kidding? I can't recall anyone I've ever known being excited to go see a Blade movie.

I think you are confusing Blade with the original Toby Maguire Spiderman, or Batman Begins. Those are what changed the men in tights movies from being campy goofy money grabs into serious blockbusters.
Maybe you should get different friends. I'm sorry but that's pretty gay and faggy, or maybe your friends are a little light in the loafers.

Look I'm not watching all of those stupid Star Wars or Marvel shows like a lot of folks, but the original movie is a classic, second one was just campy and Goofy, the third one, well I don't remember much about that one, but the original was a masterpiece. ..😉

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Spiderman never happens without Blade's success in 1998. Batman Begins being as dark as it was, was in part due to Blade's success of a dark superhero movie working. On a 45 million dollar budget it made 70 million in the US and another 61 Million International. And it's advertising was included in that 45 million dollar budget. Compared to today's superhero movies that have separate advertising budget of normally 100 to 200 million dollars.

It's numbers for 1998 as a superhero movie were amazing.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Spiderman never happens without Blade's success in 1998. Batman Begins being as dark as it was, was in part due to Blade's success of a dark superhero movie working. On a 45 million dollar budget it made 70 million, in the US and another 61 Million International. And it's advertising was included in that 45 million dollar budget. Compared to today's superhero movies that have separate advertising budget of normally 100 to 200 million dollars.

I've gone and seen a lot of damn movies in my lifetime, but Blade was one of those that I can still remember very vividly, for at least the whole movie going experience.

Same thing with something like return of the King, or hereditary. I just can't fathom how somebody could think it's not a fun film.

I guess unless they like the wenis.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I agree but everyone is going to eventually be recast. Blade is really what kickstarted the current superhero movies; it was the baddest-ass thing in cinema, the Matrix before the Matrix, and Snipes was so awesome in the role. It was almost 30 years ago, though, so unless he is an IRL Vampire its OK to have Mahershalai Ali take over. The worse thing is they were doing the bait and switch girlboss thing with it, reportedly multiple girlbosses, which was causing him to want to bow out.

It would have been better to have made another iconic casting with Doom, and then brought RDJ back as Tony echoing Thanos' line at the end of Endgame and spin it out from there. Or use the Multiverse to recast once and before you let to rest for a decade or more. There's a dozen things you could have done better than this.

I may actually get out and go see D&W in an actual theater next week.
I know they do this in the terminator and star wars franchises. Replace the stars when they get old. I'm not down with that. It shouldn't be when they get old, it should be they get replaced when they are unwilling or unable play the role and still be believable. Snipes never got too old. IMO, they just retired Snipes because they didn't want a felonious black man starring in their blockbuster films. Drawing attention his criminal history and being a black. They were worried it would shit up their grosses . That's really why Majors was axed and the entire kangz scenario was scrapped. No matter who they got, Kangz was going to be brought up. RDJ was a safer bet and he can be a felon because he's white. No negative stereotypes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know they do this in the terminator and star wars franchises. Replace the stars when they get old. I'm not down with that. It shouldn't be when they get old, it should be they get replaced when they are unwilling or unable play the role and still be believable. Snipes never got too old. IMO, they just retired Snipes because they didn't want a felonious black man starring in their blockbuster films. Drawing attention his criminal history and being a black. They were worried it would shit up their grosses . That's really why Majors was axed and the entire kangz scenario was scrapped. No matter who they got, Kangz was going to be brought up. RDJ was a safer bet and he can be a felon because he's white. No negative stereotypes.
Snipes isn't a felon. Trinity got shit reviews and did worse financially than Blade 2. The movie rights reverted back to Marvel while Snipes was in prison, he was 51 when he got out, hadn't been Blade for a decade, and his Blade wouldn't have fit into the MCU anyway which was just starting Phase 2 when he got out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Studios recast for a lot of reasons, particularly when picking movies up from another studio. You're not wrong but there is old like RDJ, who is a guy in a suit, and there is old, like a guy who is supposed to be an immortal/ageless/eternally half-vampire/dhampir. No one loves Original Blade Wesley Snipes more than I do but you make a great point about being convincing; that's the crux of it. There is also the problem that he was reportedly a huge pain to work with on Blade 3 and may have burned a number of bridges in Hollywood. I am glad they brought him back for D&W but I certainly understand why Marvel would have wanted someone new to start the character going forward, particularly if Wesley Snipes is in his 60's (he's 62).

Holy shit we have a bunch of old dudes playing super heroes. I mean, its not Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones but do you want a dude eligible for Social Security playing a dhampir?

If it works it works I guess.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Studios recast for a lot of reasons, particularly when picking movies up from another studio. You're not wrong but there is old like RDJ, who is a guy in a suit, and there is old, like a guy who is supposed to be an immortal/ageless/eternally half-vampire/dhampir. No one loves Original Blade Wesley Snipes more than I do but you make a great point about being convincing; that's the crux of it. There is also the problem that he was reportedly a huge pain to work with on Blade 3 and may have burned a number of bridges in Hollywood. I am glad they brought him back for D&W but I certainly understand why Marvel would have wanted someone new to start the character going forward, particularly if Wesley Snipes is in his 60's (he's 62).

Holy shit we have a bunch of old dudes playing super heroes. I mean, its not Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones but do you want a dude eligible for Social Security playing a dhampir?

If it works it works I guess.
We got old super heroes now because the air of maturity and authority on a 25 yr old in the 1950s is what a 50yr old looks like now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
Snipes isn't a felon. Trinity got shit reviews and did worse financially than Blade 2. The movie rights reverted back to Marvel while Snipes was in prison, he was 51 when he got out, hadn't been Blade for a decade, and his Blade wouldn't have fit into the MCU anyway which was just starting Phase 2 when he got out.
He was in Prison, but is not a felon?
I don't think they put you in PRISON for a misdemeanor
And even if his record was expunged, he was still convicted of a felony

Sevens

Log Wizard
Jessica Biel at her absolute hottest. That's all you really need to remember.
biel-best-roles-7th-heaven-blade-trinity.jpg

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider

He's a felon like Martha Stewart. Tax evasion. No one looks at him like he Jared from subway.

• 2Like

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
He was convicted of 3 misdemeanors, not a single felony.

The misdemeanors were for owing 12.8 million fucking dollars in back taxes, which translates into prison time. It's not like the IRS lets you just go in the back and wash dishes until your debt is paid off.

For the record you can serve up to 1 year in prison per misdemeanor, and he was convicted of 3 and given the max, though he only served 2.5 years.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Spiderman never happens without Blade's success in 1998. Batman Begins being as dark as it was, was in part due to Blade's success of a dark superhero movie working. On a 45 million dollar budget it made 70 million in the US and another 61 Million International. And it's advertising was included in that 45 million dollar budget. Compared to today's superhero movies that have separate advertising budget of normally 100 to 200 million dollars.

Yall are retarded. Blade was a horror movie. Not a super hero movie. Durr he appeared in tomb of Dracula by marvel! He was in spiderman the animated series! Hurpity durpity doo!

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just saw Deadpool with the GF.

Can someone give me the tl;Dr on all the 20th century Fox jokes and stuff? Seems like marvel bought a bunch of DC characters and.....20th century Fox is getting out of the comic game?

I don't read comics and I don't follow any of this stuff

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Just saw Deadpool with the GF.

Can someone give me the tl;Dr on all the 20th century Fox jokes and stuff? Seems like marvel bought a bunch of DC characters and.....20th century Fox is getting out of the comic game?

I don't read comics and I don't follow any of this stuff

• 1Like