Marvel Universe stuff

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Just saw Deadpool with the GF.

Can someone give me the tl;Dr on all the 20th century Fox jokes and stuff? Seems like marvel bought a bunch of DC characters and.....20th century Fox is getting out of the comic game?

I don't read comics and I don't follow any of this stuff

You really need a primer on the formation of the MCU? Prolly trolling but ok here goes:

In the 90s marvel comics were going bankrupt and so they began licensing their IP to various movie studios to stay afloat. Characters like the Hulk were licensed to Universal, Spider-man (and his villains) to Sony Pictures, The X-Men (and mutants in general) to 20th Century Fox, etc.

The first of these projects was the X-men animated series but there were several other cartoons that were modestly successful in this time frame but these did not produce a ton of revenue for Marvel itself.

In the late 90s the first successful Marvel Movie was released, Blade, a half-vampire character who had been licensed to New Line Cinema (later absorbed by WB, who does own DC). This was a shot in the arm of revenue for the floundering comic book publisher and its success convinced studios that superhero films were viable again (Several disastrous Batman sequels to the original tim burton films had convinced studios that super hero films were dead). This lead to later live-action movies such as the X-Men, Spider-man, Fantastic Four, etc and some stinkers like Daredevil, Elektra, punisher, etc throughout the earlier 2000s.

All of this revenue for Marvel along with seeing some of the shittier interpretations of their beloved characters led to Marvel starting their own production studio. They started to look through their catalog to see what characters they had left since they had already licensed all of their popular series out to rival studios. The only real characters of any note were some b-tier characters called the Avengers, so they went to work on making origin story films for these characters starting with Iron Man.

As the MCU films became more successful they began negotiating for the rights to some of their other characters back, they had a complicated relationship with Universal over the rights to the Hulk (He was allowed to be in team movies, but any solo picture rights remained with Universal). As these movies began to become more popular Disney ended up acquiring Marvel Studios (their main rival WB owned DC) and then they really began to negotiate for their characters back. After the success of the first Avenger's film and they started raking in the cash (and a couple of shitty Amazing Spiderman films managed to lose a bunch of money) they struck a deal with Sony to share the Spider-man character, although sony maintains the rights to Spider-man's ancillary characters and have produced a bunch of garbage films featuring them such as venom, morbius, madam web, etc.

Eventually the MCU made Disney enough money that they just outright purchased 20th Century Fox, which gave them the rights back to their most successful comic book characters, namely the X-men, mutants, and the Fantastic Four.

TLDR: All the cameo characters featured are Marvel characters, Marvel didn't buy any DC characters, Marvel's parent company Disney bought 20th century Fox

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I wasn't trolling, and thanks. Makes a lot more sense to us now.

Did Ryan Reynolds actually have beef with 20th century Fox on anything?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I wasn't trolling, and thanks. Makes a lot more sense to us now.

Did Ryan Reynolds actually have beef with 20th century Fox on anything?
No. It's just him doing what Deadpool does and making fun of them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
He was convicted of 3 misdemeanors, not a single felony.

The misdemeanors were for owing 12.8 million fucking dollars in back taxes, which translates into prison time. It's not like the IRS lets you just go in the back and wash dishes until your debt is paid off.

For the record you can serve up to 1 year in prison per misdemeanor, and he was convicted of 3 and given the max, though he only served 2.5 years.
NBCs_The_More_You_Know.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
He was convicted of 3 misdemeanors, not a single felony.

The misdemeanors were for owing 12.8 million fucking dollars in back taxes, which translates into prison time. It's not like the IRS lets you just go in the back and wash dishes until your debt is paid off.

For the record you can serve up to 1 year in prison per misdemeanor, and he was convicted of 3 and given the max, though he only served 2.5 years.
How the fuck is owing 12.8 MILLION dollars a misdemeanor?
I mean seriously

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
the crime is failure to file taxes on time, and it's a misdemeanor whether you owe 10 bucks or 10 million. He failed to file taxes 3 years in a row or 3 charges of failure to file taxes.

However if you don't have the money to pay it off once convicted you go to jail for up to 1 year per conviction.

He and a couple of his accountants were initially charged with felonies, conspiracy to defraud the government or some shit, but he was acquitted of that charge. I think his accountants were convicted of that and got 10 years.

edit: oh it wasn't accountants, it was some whack-a-doodles sovereign citizen people who argued that taxation was theft and that nobody needed to pay taxes, lol

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider
How the fuck do we accept a government that locks people up for owning taxes, but let's rapists and murders off with no jail time?

Because if they didn't lock people up for tax evasion no one would pay taxes. You think crime is bad now, imagine a world with no taxes and no government. It's called Rwanda.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If he hadn't tried that stupid fucking sovereign citizen argument as his defense the judge probably wouldn't have given him the max sentence.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've gone and seen a lot of damn movies in my lifetime, but Blade was one of those that I can still remember very vividly, for at least the whole movie going experience.

Same thing with something like return of the King, or hereditary. I just can't fathom how somebody could think it's not a fun film.

I guess unless they like the wenis.
And it even had Tracy Lords in it.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
the crime is failure to file taxes on time, and it's a misdemeanor whether you owe 10 bucks or 10 million. He failed to file taxes 3 years in a row or 3 charges of failure to file taxes.

However if you don't have the money to pay it off once convicted you go to jail for up to 1 year per conviction.

He and a couple of his accountants were initially charged with felonies, conspiracy to defraud the government or some shit, but he was acquitted of that charge. I think his accountants were convicted of that and got 10 years.

edit: oh it wasn't accountants, it was some whack-a-doodles sovereign citizen people who argued that taxation was theft and that nobody needed to pay taxes, lol
There is also this to consider. if you make a "mistake" on your taxes and they tell you that you fucked up and owe them x dollars plus penalty and interest and your reply is "oh shit, I made a mistake. Please give me a payment plan to pay what I owe" they will give you a plan and move on their merry way.

If, however, you go the Snipes route and say fuck you I don't have to pay taxes cause <insert random reason why you don't ever have to pay income tax> your ass is going to jail. As long as you admit it was a mistake on your part, no butt fucker farm for you. If you you choose the other route, it's "malfeasance" and you are going to be bunking with Leroy.

It's all about sending a message to others who might follow in your footsteps.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Given her talents she probably could have gotten some award winning roles from Weinstein.
John waters loved having her in his movies. Sometimes gay guys puzzle me. They know what a beautiful woman is supposed to look like and get inspired by their beauty and as artists immortalize them with iconic dresses, paintings ,sculptures and makeup, but as men have no romantic interests in them whatsoever. You get a gay woman and all she wants to do is denigrate and destroy a man. It's just weird.
tumblr_mtclyvb15Y1qi06alo1_400.gif

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

I don't know if this is BS, but figured it was appropriate to post here. I don't care for the guy but maybe it's good maybe it's bad, I don't know.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I saw a thing suggesting that before the RDJ stuff dropped Marvel was quietly removing the activist woke people while on the other side lucasfilm was instead doubling down on it.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

I don't know if this is BS, but figured it was appropriate to post here. I don't care for the guy but maybe it's good maybe it's bad, I don't know.

You'll never know for sure if that's true because you don't know who they have that's an activist and if they were fired. Or if they were fired or "fired" like they did with James Gunn. All I know is Feige and Iger are still there and both of them are responsible for this and they haven't lost their jobs.

• 3Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
You really need a primer on the formation of the MCU? Prolly trolling but ok here goes:

In the 90s marvel comics were going bankrupt and so they began licensing their IP to various movie studios to stay afloat. Characters like the Hulk were licensed to Universal, Spider-man (and his villains) to Sony Pictures, The X-Men (and mutants in general) to 20th Century Fox, etc.

The first of these projects was the X-men animated series but there were several other cartoons that were modestly successful in this time frame but these did not produce a ton of revenue for Marvel itself.

In the late 90s the first successful Marvel Movie was released, Blade, a half-vampire character who had been licensed to New Line Cinema (later absorbed by WB, who does own DC). This was a shot in the arm of revenue for the floundering comic book publisher and its success convinced studios that superhero films were viable again (Several disastrous Batman sequels to the original tim burton films had convinced studios that super hero films were dead). This lead to later live-action movies such as the X-Men, Spider-man, Fantastic Four, etc and some stinkers like Daredevil, Elektra, punisher, etc throughout the earlier 2000s.

All of this revenue for Marvel along with seeing some of the shittier interpretations of their beloved characters led to Marvel starting their own production studio. They started to look through their catalog to see what characters they had left since they had already licensed all of their popular series out to rival studios. The only real characters of any note were some b-tier characters called the Avengers, so they went to work on making origin story films for these characters starting with Iron Man.

As the MCU films became more successful they began negotiating for the rights to some of their other characters back, they had a complicated relationship with Universal over the rights to the Hulk (He was allowed to be in team movies, but any solo picture rights remained with Universal). As these movies began to become more popular Disney ended up acquiring Marvel Studios (their main rival WB owned DC) and then they really began to negotiate for their characters back. After the success of the first Avenger's film and they started raking in the cash (and a couple of shitty Amazing Spiderman films managed to lose a bunch of money) they struck a deal with Sony to share the Spider-man character, although sony maintains the rights to Spider-man's ancillary characters and have produced a bunch of garbage films featuring them such as venom, morbius, madam web, etc.

Eventually the MCU made Disney enough money that they just outright purchased 20th Century Fox, which gave them the rights back to their most successful comic book characters, namely the X-men, mutants, and the Fantastic Four.

TLDR: All the cameo characters featured are Marvel characters, Marvel didn't buy any DC characters, Marvel's parent company Disney bought 20th century Fox

I mean, am I crazy, or is calling the Avengers a B tier group of characters a wild fucking statement? Even pre MCU Captain America, Ironman, Hulk and Thor were literal marvel tentpoles and comic book/pop culture icons

• 1Like