Marvel Universe stuff

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
It's like reading the Robert e Howard Conan short stories. I think I've got all of the anthologies on audible, and they're wonderful. I listen to him every few years but they're just so God damn good. No purple prose, Conan is there on an adventure, and you're just there for the ride.
"Purple Prose" is HP Lovecraft. "Word Count Bloat" is what you get with GRRM and Robert Jordan, although I noticed it less with Jordan (admittedly I noped early in the WOT). Every book 1200 pages? Fuck you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The Marvel Studios film release schedule is as follows:

Feb 14th 2025 – “Captain America: Brave New World”
May 2nd 2025 – “Thunderbolts*”
Jul 25th 2025 – “The Fantastic Four: First Steps”
Nov 7th 2025 – “Blade”

Feb 13th 2026: Marvel TBA
May 1st 2026: “Avengers: Doomsday”
Nov 6th 2026: Marvel TBA

May 7th 2027: “Avengers: Secret Wars”
July 23rd 2027: Marvel TBA
Nov 5th 2027: Marvel TBA

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
"Purple Prose" is HP Lovecraft. "Word Count Bloat" is what you get with GRRM and Robert Jordan, although I noticed it less with Jordan (admittedly I noped early in the WOT). Every book 1200 pages? Fuck you.
Totater / totato. I think they're all guilty of it to some degree, but I do agree Lovecraft was pretty bad about it, but maybe that was just a sign of the time.
It's kind of a weird thing because it's nice to have a really huge book to sink into that moves along well and doesn't feel like it's just a bunch of filler, but then it's also nice just to have a lean mean 200 Page novella.

Do they get paid more based on the page or word count or whatever?

• 1Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Totater / totato. I think they're all guilty of it to some degree, but I do agree Lovecraft was pretty bad about it, but maybe that was just a sign of the time.
It's kind of a weird thing because it's nice to have a really huge book to sink into that moves along well and doesn't feel like it's just a bunch of filler, but then it's also nice just to have a lean mean 200 Page novella.

Cormac Mccarthy and earnest hemmingway are anti purple prose. Check em out. Blood meridian will fuck your ass up

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Cormac Mccarthy and earnest hemmingway are anti purple prose. Check em out. Blood meridian will fuck your ass up
Hell yeah. Blood Meridian is a great book, as is The Road. I haven't read No Country for Old Men, and probably should, but the movies fantastic, and if I had a guess it's probably pretty faithful to the book.

I think he's actually a Texan if I'm not mistaken.

• 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Hell yeah. Blood Meridian is a great book, as is The Road. I haven't read No Country for Old Men, and probably should, but the movies fantastic, and if I had a guess it's probably pretty faithful to the book.

I think he's actually a Texan if I'm not mistaken.
Outer dark. Orchard keeper.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>

My point was that Lovecraft was verbose and expansive with his language but the length of the stories was contained and limited. I keep using GRRM as my example but as the books go on they seemingly get longer and longer (fake edit: They were always long) as the stories spin out; his descriptions are ridiculous. Jordan seemingly has the same issue, apparently.

I remember thinking "The Talisman" by Peter Straub and Stephen King seeming massive and long at the time; looking back now its only 646 pages, as long as "A Game of Thrones", before the era of 1000 pagers ASOIAF began. Paper and film became cheaper in the 80's I guess because we started to accept super long books and movies as the norm. The entire LOTR about the same length of "A Dance of Dragons" by itself.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
The Marvel Studios film release schedule is as follows:

Feb 14th 2025 – “Captain America: Brave New World”
May 2nd 2025 – “Thunderbolts*”
Jul 25th 2025 – “The Fantastic Four: First Steps”
Nov 7th 2025 – “Blade”

Feb 13th 2026: Marvel TBA
May 1st 2026: “Avengers: Doomsday”
Nov 6th 2026: Marvel TBA

May 7th 2027: “Avengers: Secret Wars”
July 23rd 2027: Marvel TBA
Nov 5th 2027: Marvel TBA
No way Blade is going to make that date, right?
I wonder if they replace it with something else more suitable to the new Doomsday path. FF4 just started filming so there is a little time.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I wonder if they replace it with something else more suitable to the new Doomsday path. FF4 just started filming so there is a little time.
Snipes is Blade. That's who everyone associates him with. He made the role iconic he should get the role if he wants it. Getting some Blade knockoff from Kenya is shit.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Apparently Feige said there were only three movies coming out in 25, which all but admits Blade isn't happening next year.

Not only do I not think anything else could make Blade's slot, I don't even know if the Feb 2026 slot will happen. FF as is will be tight with just a year to film before release*, but it already has a script / director / cast / etc. (and presumably Marvel pre-vis work is pretty high on that list of prerequisites).

Out of all of the possible unscheduled options - Blade, Armor Wars (Don Cheadle's D+ show turned movie), Shang-Chi 2, Doctor Strange 3, and Spider-Man 4, only Shang-Chi has a director (the same as the first) at the moment, and none of them are known to have a finished script, much less a cast. And yes, while it sounds like in many productions Marvel gets the pre-vis (if not final fx) done then has the directors / cast adlib the scenes between those fight scenes, you still need to have some semblance of a plot done to know who's in those action scens to do that pre-vis.

*It wouldn't shock me if FF (and possibly Thunderbolts) slide one release slot later if Blade isn't happening.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Apparently Feige said there were only three movies coming out in 25, which all but admits Blade isn't happening next year.

Not only do I not think anything else could make Blade's slot, I don't even know if the Feb 2026 slot will happen. FF as is will be tight with just a year to film before release*, but it already has a script / director / cast / etc. (and presumably Marvel pre-vis work is pretty high on that list of prerequisites).

Out of all of the possible unscheduled options - Blade, Armor Wars (Don Cheadle's D+ show turned movie), Shang-Chi 2, Doctor Strange 3, and Spider-Man 4, only Shang-Chi has a director (the same as the first) at the moment, and none of them are known to have a finished script, much less a cast. And yes, while it sounds like in many productions Marvel gets the pre-vis (if not final fx) done then has the directors / cast adlib the scenes between those fight scenes, you still need to have some semblance of a plot done to know who's in those action scens to do that pre-vis.

*It wouldn't shock me if FF (and possibly Thunderbolts) slide one release slot later if Blade isn't happening.
I feel like they have to come up with something in between to lead to Doomsday. The Russos are fine but they did get fed a lot of stuff and right now I don't see the same amount of work that they can build upon.
Its going to be interesting to see what they come up with. Time will tell.

spronk

FPS noob
spider-man 4 is one of those movies almost certainly and could have interesting tie ins to Doom esp since Stark means so much to that spidey
there hasn't been any talk about Armor Wars they can film that any time so kind of weird it feels invisible. i don't even understand the point of the movie though, who cares about War Machine
would they do another Dr. Strange movie? Dr. Strange is one of the only two confirmed heroes of Doomsday (the other being FF4) so it might make sense to tee him up but I don't know what kind of story you do with Strange, the last one was very shaky. You could use it to tie off Kang I guess but seems pointless

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Feige may have said that, but those dates were just released yesterday. I doubt that Blade will make it myself. Just saying as far as everyone is concerned atm, that is the official date.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
spider-man 4 is one of those movies almost certainly and could have interesting tie ins to Doom esp since Stark means so much to that spidey
there hasn't been any talk about Armor Wars they can film that any time so kind of weird it feels invisible. i don't even understand the point of the movie though, who cares about War Machine
would they do another Dr. Strange movie? Dr. Strange is one of the only two confirmed heroes of Doomsday (the other being FF4) so it might make sense to tee him up but I don't know what kind of story you do with Strange, the last one was very shaky. You could use it to tie off Kang I guess but seems pointless
Apparently Jackman and Reynolds have been behind the scenes pushing for a movie with Holland/Spider-Man.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Apparently Jackman and Reynolds have been behind the scenes pushing for a movie with Holland/Spider-Man.
You can't just cross over popular characters with proven box office, what about Shang Chi, Shuri and Captain Marvel's team up!?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
You can't just cross over popular characters with proven box office, what about Shang Chi, Shuri and Captain Marvel's team up!?
Deadpool and Spidey have a long history in the comics. Not like it would be a forced thing.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Snipes is Blade. That's who everyone associates him with. He made the role iconic he should get the role if he wants it. Getting some Blade knockoff from Kenya is shit.
GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I agree but everyone is going to eventually be recast. Blade is really what kickstarted the current superhero movies; it was the baddest-ass thing in cinema, the Matrix before the Matrix, and Snipes was so awesome in the role. It was almost 30 years ago, though, so unless he is an IRL Vampire its OK to have Mahershalai Ali take over. The worse thing is they were doing the bait and switch girlboss thing with it, reportedly multiple girlbosses, which was causing him to want to bow out.

It would have been better to have made another iconic casting with Doom, and then brought RDJ back as Tony echoing Thanos' line at the end of Endgame and spin it out from there. Or use the Multiverse to recast once and before you let to rest for a decade or more. There's a dozen things you could have done better than this.

I may actually get out and go see D&W in an actual theater next week.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
God damn it. I was typing out something relevant this whole conversation, and then my phone got screwed up because somebody called.

Anyways, I agree with you, I don't know if I had a guess we're probably on the same page.

• 2Solidarity