Men's Fashion

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
to me. a "higher" end tshirt, would be worn as the main shirt to work and not look out of place like a "hanes" or "FotL" tshirt would, it would look good by itself worn with "dockers" or dress pants, or with a sweater/sport coat/suit over for a relaxed semi-formal -non tie style, (the shirt ultimately cost 25 since i bought 2 on sale - it was buy one get one free @Men's Wearhouse)

suit was on clearance for 225. reg price was- supposedly - 750 i will dbl check the pricetag when i get home.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
To be fair, the recognizable Italian companies like Brioni, Gucci, Prada, Zegna, etc wouldn't be caught dead using this scam. These are nobody clothing lines that are purely seeking the "made in Italy" label.
The mega high end brands no they would not but you'd be shocked to hear how little most companies know about their supply chain. Fuck Quicksilver was just found out that a bunch of their shit was being made in North Korea with Made in China labels. Naturally they pled ignorance like any company that realizes their supply chain is fucked. Many people also don't realize some companies (such as Ralph Lauren) are willing to just sell their brand and have nothing to do with the garments being produced. That stack of TJ Maxx RL polos they got like 500 of last week? Yeah TJ Maxx just makes them themselves and pays RL money to use the branding. It isn't made by nor designed by RL. That is actually how TJ Maxx/Marshalls get much of their inventory only a small amount is what most people think of buying mega-clearance items from department stores.

A Gucci t-shirt also costs like $400. But you can easily make a t-shirt with "Premium Cotton" and slap on a MII Italy tag and charge $50-80 and people would pay.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
to me. a "higher" end tshirt, would be worn as the main shirt to work and not look out of place like a "hanes" or "FotL" tshirt would, it would look good by itself worn with "dockers" or dress pants, or with a sweater/sport coat/suit over for a relaxed semi-formal -non tie style, (the shirt ultimately cost 25 since i bought 2 on sale - it was buy one get one free @Men's Wearhouse)

suit was on clearance for 225. reg price was- supposedly - 750 i will dbl check the pricetag when i get home.
You sound like the guy who quotes Jos A Bank prices as retail. "Guys I just bought 5 $300 super premium sweaters."

<They were buy 1 get 4 free>

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Coworker had to go to stanley korshak and buy a shirt because it was the only clothing store within quick walking distance. He had a deposition in 15 minutes and managed to stain his shirt. Bought some stupidly generic white dress shirt for like $400. He said it's so dumb it's like a perfectly normal shirt and unless he takes it off and looks at the tags he can't tell the difference in that and his $100 Alton Lane or Black Lapel shirts, except the other ones fit better because they are M2M. Fucking lol.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Coworker had to go to stanley korshak and buy a shirt because it was the only clothing store within quick walking distance. He had a deposition in 15 minutes and managed to stain his shirt. Bought some stupidly generic white dress shirt for like $400. He said it's so dumb it's like a perfectly normal shirt and unless he takes it off and looks at the tags he can't tell the difference in that and his $100 Alton Lane or Black Lapel shirts, except the other ones fit better because they are M2M. Fucking lol.
Lol I had a similar situation except I forgot my tie at home, so I had to hit up Stanley Korshak and just randomly chose a good looking tie resigning myself to the fact I'd be in for $100-$150 or so. I was in such a rush I didn't even look at the price tag, just grabbing it off the rack. I get to the cash and the tie is $280 lol..

IMHO designer quality really only comes into play for suits, ties, shoes, and some shirts. Like I can tell the superior material, stitching, and buttons on a Brioni shirt vs Banana Republic..

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread going to devolve into a pissing contest too? No one cares who spent what. Just share ideas, advice, etc.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pointing and laughing at needlessly expensive clothes and those who buy them is always fun, guy who has made one post with no ideas or advice in this thread.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
And add to that, fashion is nothing but a pissing contest anyways.

I actually have no issue with people dressing nice especially those who work in an industry that demands it. I just was blown away at someone spending more on a tie than I did on the pickup I bought.

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seriously though, $280 on a tie? That's obscene. You can get Hermes for $185, Ferragamo for around $150, Brioni, Charvet, Zegna for all around $200.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I could see maybe one or two ties for $280 that you'd only wear for special occasions, but I bet there are dudes that wear that on a daily basis.

Thankfully as a software engineer if you dress in jeans and a Polo you're already better dressed than all the 50 year old dudes in their Hawaiian shirts and flip flops.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cost is very relevant to this thread in my opinion. We are all looking to min/max the fashion game.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I could see maybe one or two ties for $280 that you'd only wear for special occasions, but I bet there are dudes that wear that on a daily basis.

Thankfully as a software engineer if you dress in jeans and a Polo you're already better dressed than all the 50 year old dudes in their Hawaiian shirts and flip flops.
I wore a suit to a client meeting at a software company because I was like, I'm a lawyer, fuck yea.. instantly got pegged as a lawyer by everyone the instant I even arrived in the parking lot. Haha. Even slacks/dress shirt would have been overdressed. Next client meeting at that place I'm coming in cargo shorts and a punisher t-shirt.

Before you ridicule me for that I know I worked in software for 10 years and I should have known better. :\

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I wore a suit to a client meeting at a software company because I was like, I'm a lawyer, fuck yea.. instantly got pegged as a lawyer by everyone the instant I even arrived in the parking lot. Haha. Even slacks/dress shirt would have been overdressed. Next client meeting at that place I'm coming in cargo shorts and a punisher t-shirt.

Before you ridicule me for that I know I worked in software for 10 years and I should have known better. :\
Can confirm, work in web hosting and the only people who wear any kind of button down that isn't a flanel are cunty sales types and "project managers", ie professional ball-coddlers.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Seriously though, $280 on a tie? That's obscene. You can get Hermes for $185, Ferragamo for around $150, Brioni, Charvet, Zegna for all around $200.
Yeah, exactly the reason I was floored it was $280. It was some sort of special "7 fold" tie, meaning it has no stitching, is made from a single piece of silk, and has been pressed/folded into a tie shape.