MLB 2024: Rangers Conquer Texas, Then America

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Judge's season is more valuable, no question. Which is born out in about every metric and stat possible. Much higher OPS, he's playing CF, he hits for more power etc. wRC+ is the best single stat to measure offensive performance - Judge is having the best offensive season (and it's not really close) since Barry Bonds' "prime" years.

Ohtani is having a mega season, but in overall value it's not technically his best year.

View attachment 547224
But speed and power!1!

I will say this, though, in years he's pitching he's definitely the most valuable player as long as he's having anything close to what's a good season for him.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
But speed and power!1!
Weird to be so dismissive of it given how rare 40/40 is, let alone 55/55 or whatever Ohtani's final numbers end up being.

You can't hype up Judge's significantly higher OBP without also looking at his RS%. Ohtani scores 35% of the times he gets on base, Judge scores 24% of the time. Judge's OBP arguably isn't as valuable on a team that can't bring him home. Judge may be beating him in RBIs but Ohtani is beating him by almost as much on runs scored. 114 runs scored/136 RBIs for Judge, 125/122 for Ohtani. I think Judge still edges him out in raw offensive contribution (which is all Ohtani has this year) but the gap isn't as wide as yall are making it out to be.

Judge is having an absurd season and if he had done it any other year there would probably be no question but Ohtani's performance plus the way he can't even flex a pinky without a media blitz hyping it up makes me think that there's a real chance the BBWAA not only gives it to Ohtani but does so unanimously to try and build him into an even bigger legend. God knows the sport is desperate for superstars.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Weird to be so dismissive of it given how rare 40/40 is, let alone 55/55 or whatever Ohtani's final numbers end up being.

You can't hype up Judge's significantly higher OBP without also looking at his RS%. Ohtani scores 35% of the times he gets on base, Judge scores 24% of the time. Judge's OBP arguably isn't as valuable on a team that can't bring him home. Judge may be beating him in RBIs but Ohtani is beating him by almost as much on runs scored. 114 runs scored/136 RBIs for Judge, 125/122 for Ohtani. I think Judge still edges him out in raw offensive contribution (which is all Ohtani has this year) but the gap isn't as wide as yall are making it out to be.

Judge is having an absurd season and if he had done it any other year there would probably be no question but Ohtani's performance plus the way he can't even flex a pinky without a media blitz hyping it up makes me think that there's a real chance the BBWAA not only gives it to Ohtani but does so unanimously to try and build him into an even bigger legend. God knows the sport is desperate for superstars.
I think RS%/runs/even RBIs speaks to the team performance more than something like batting line with RISP does (though clearly the steals help run scoring). It would be one thing if the difference was small, but he's like 350 points better than Ohtani there.

It also obviously matters that Soto is batting before Judge (when healthy), so that's a point in Ohtani's favor. Outside of Soto, though, I think the lineup favors Ohtani.

I don't think the gulf is terribly wide but I do think Judge has simply had a more productive offensive season. Plus he plays good defense in a prime position. That's not nothing when it comes to what's valuable.

Rare is cool and amazing but like you've alluded to there's a lot of hype here and that clouds objective analysis. If Shohei was some country boy from Ohio and had a 55+ double / 50+ homer season with 20ish steals (comparable offensive production), I doubt he gets quite this much attention. There's so much mystique attached to the combination of homers and steals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?
Pick one, I'll take the other.

But there are too many variables to rank one over the other definitively. If Betts doesn't miss those 40 games, Ohtani stays at #2 in the order and maybe has another 10 RBI. At the same time, Judge has +49 more walks so he is getting pitched around more than Ohtani, who has more protection around him.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
50-50 is hyper impressive, someone having both of those traits at that level is absolutely crazy. But hitting home runs and stealing bases isn't the only things that make up a baseball player. Judge has a higher average, he hits for more power, he walks more, he's actually playing centerfield etc.

If Ohtani even just played a mediocre LF, he would take less of that WAR penalty and would be even having a more impressive season. I personally hope he pitches for a few more years until his elbow falls off, and then just plays outfield.

It's not hyperbole: Ohtani and Judge, in their dead prime, appear to be two of the best players ever, with Ohtani potentially being the greatest. For instance, Judge's 2022 season and this season trumps anything a hitter has done since Bonds - better than A-Rod, Pujols, Cabrera, even Trout. These two dudes are special. You're seeing Mickey Mantle numbers from Judge, and Ohtani is doing Babe Ruth shit.

Let's not sleep on Bobby Witt. Kid is 24 and is an elite-elite shortstop defensively, having a massive 10+ WAR season. Kid is an absolute freak show.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
God, I thought maybe Buehler had turned a corner but nope

His locker needs to be cleared after tonight

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_5747.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 3Faggotry
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

elcaro1101

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone helping run a front office and knows about baseball? I think this is a compliment.
Exactly the point. We all know what he is pointing out, and that stats are valid. It's just the point of being a bit nerdy to get to his train of thought. I'm not gonna fly off the handle at him with some crazy insult, it's not a big deal at all.

I called him a nerd, and he called me a moron in reply. No weapons will be used in this fight.

• 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Exactly the point. We all know what he is pointing out, and that stats are valid. It's just the point of being a bit nerdy to get to his train of thought. I'm not gonna fly off the handle at him with some crazy insult, it's not a big deal at all.

I called him a nerd, and he called me a moron in reply. No weapons will be used in this fight.
The interesting thing to me is. A few of us are happy and enjoying a once in lifetime performance of a lovable player and two miserable bastards can't help...
1727047214175.png

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

The interesting thing to me is. A few of us are happy and enjoying a once in lifetime performance of a lovable player and two miserable bastards can't help...
View attachment 547534
Maybe you shouldn't be so emotionally invested. What a fucking girl. If me pointing out that I think Aaron judge is slightly better than Ohtani this year is ruining your shit you need some help. This shouldn't he so triggering. You can still enjoy the hype and spectacle. The game where he broke 50/50 was amazing and had to be an incredible experience to be at.

Don't let my attempt at a factual rational argument disrupt your masturbation time with your Ohtani body pillow.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
Maybe you shouldn't be so emotionally invested. What a fucking girl. If me pointing out that I think Aaron judge is slightly better than Ohtani this year is ruining your shit you need some help. This shouldn't he so triggering. You can still enjoy the hype and spectacle.

Don't let my attention at a factual rational argument disrupt your masturbation time with your Ohtani body pillow.
Yea, ohtani isn’t bad, but mvp worthy? Maybe another year.

DickTrickle

Yea, ohtani isn’t bad, but mvp worthy? Maybe another year.
Arguments that nobody ever made for a thousand, Alex.

Obviously he's going to be the MVP and probably unanimous. Judge will also probably be the MVP but probably not unanimous.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Well glad Dodgers pulled that one off

6-5 win over Rockies as Shohei goes up to 53-55 and Mookie walks it off

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ohtani 4 for 5, HR, 2 SB and his average is back to .300, he's been on a crazy hot streak recently. Hopefully they can continue it into the playoffs and provide some good entertainment.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So I’m trying to understand something about the wild card

IMG_5765.jpeg

This is as of today:

So in order for the Braves to be in the last spot, either the DBacks or Mets would have to lose three games while Braves would need to win 3?