MMA Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
he isnt an athlete

The idea that Askren isn't an athlete is stupid. Is he in the best shape or the best boxer he could be? No, but just because a guy puts on 20 lbs or is competing outside their specialty doesn't mean he's no longer an athlete.

"a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina"

Sterling

El Presidente
athletics isn't tied to one specific thing. being shredded doesn't autmatically make you able to run fast or jump high or throw a ball further or pin a dude that's struggling against you or give you good reflexes. Some things are innate. You or I will never have a 40 inch verticle no matter how much we train. You will never run a 9.9 second 100M no matter how much you train. You would never go 87-0 in 2 seasons of D1 wrestling no matter how much you trained. Obviously being fit and athletic at the same time is better than having one without the other. Supposedly he's taken his training serious in terms of boxing skills, but Paul has been training with some top notch trainers for a good while now so there's a real chance he can smash the fuck out of Askren. I'm just saying calling him a non athlete is just a preposterous statement.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, what is athletic to you guys?

To me, its being an athlete. Someone who is in good to great shape and excels in their craft.

Ben is obviously a great wrestler. This isnt a wrestling match. He isnt in shape and he isnt talented or skilled at boxing. How am I wrong about that.
thats like saying jon jones isn't athletic b/c he can't dunk

2gt3g5v_jpg.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He is a great wrestler.

He isnt wrestling. I guess thats my point. getting hung up on the definition of athlete is petty.

He looks like shit no?

Sterling

El Presidente
He looks unfit for sure. He's probably doing this way sooner than he should after his surgery, but I'd imagine he's doing it largely for the money.

He could very well get smoked. Boxing isn't what he has done. But even with all the training Paul has had he hasn't really done anything either. Also. you're the one that brought up the athlete thing and then you got defensive when people pointed out what was wrong with what you said.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its just not that common. And Nelson is a great boxer.

I just dont like Askren. Maybe he is an athlete. He still looks terrible and weak, and is going to get crushed.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Its just not that common. And Nelson is a great boxer.

I just dont like Askren. Maybe he is an athlete. He still looks terrible and weak, and is going to get crushed.
he was an olympian in a sport that wasn't speed mopping, i mean come on

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Jose Canseco was an athlete, but he looked like a couch potato against Vai Sikahema.

The debate over "athlete" aside, I'm guessing that there's a damned good chance of getting at least one memorable gif out of this fight

I'm half expecting Askren to take an uppercut and get launched into the stratosphere

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
What time is the Askren fight? I'll just watch Fight Night on ESPN+ tomorrow, but wanna see the Askren shit live.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Almost 2 hours in and there has only been 1 fight and that was a boxer vs a guy boxing for 1 month that lasted 2 rounds. It's that bad and justin bieber hasn't even gotten on stage yet. The twitter threads are hilarious.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Guess the watch party is in here -----

Just hopped on this shit tier PPV, and they had a slapping competition and Ric Flair and Pete Davidson were there "commentating"?

This is Zoomer shit, literally edging closer to Cyberpunk-type parody consumerism. I'm so glad my great-grandfather isn't alive to see where we are now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user