MMA Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Judge cant decide if it's a point deduction right? Im kind of hazy on everything since I just watch events during BBQ ect. Eye pokes, groin strikes, rabbit punches ect come down to the ref or and no contest if the fighter says he can't continue. The new gloves are supposed to prevent eye pokes and fence grabbing I thought but everything I've heard is the gloves are just shit.

Punches to the back of the head is no joke
yes only the ref can call fouls/warnings/deductions

lulz i had that previous post where i showed cheating ass izzy grabbed the fence 4x, gloves don't do shit

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
yes only the ref can call fouls/warnings/deductions

lulz i had that previous post where i showed cheating ass izzy grabbed the fence 4x, gloves don't do shit

That was a good catch. Normally when guys grab the fence it's obvious it's happening. Izzy did a good job with his bodylanguage and keeping it low key.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You wouldn't know because it's barely enforced unless its repeated over and over again. No ref will stop a fight or take a point for it. Many instances it's just a verbal warning while things continue and the fighter will even get a few more hits in while in the position. There's no real limit to the amount of verbal warnings that I've seen. Ref will just keep saying not to do it and nothing comes of it. It's overdue for enforcement and making an example out of some people, but it's like that with a lot of rules. Bending rules to get ahead is very MMA.

Nice fence grabs Izzy.

Maybe it's just a rule required by the gaming commission and they will give it a wink and a nod until the government folks tell them to crack down on it.

every fighter has a mohawk, you cannot strike to the back of the head where the imaginary mohawk is
I might need a visual aid. I thought mohawks were on top of the head.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe it's just a rule required by the gaming commission and they will give it a wink and a nod until the government folks tell them to crack down on it.

I might need a visual aid. I thought mohawks were on top of the head.
man-with-mohawk-side-view.jpg

Goatface

forgot there was a card this weekend until like 5 mins ago. few more months and won't have to deal with the apex center for like 6 months.

The UFC on ESPN 62
main card will air on ESPN+ and ESPN at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.
Prelims begin at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT on ESPN+.

Jared Cannonier (184) vs. Caio Borralho (186)
Angela Hill (115.5) vs. Tabatha Ricci (115)
Ryan Loder (186) vs. Robert Valentin (185)
Kaan Ofli (145) vs. Mairon Santos (146)
Neil Magny (170) vs. Michael Morales (171)
Gerald Meerschaert (185) vs. Edmen Shahbazyan (184.5)
Dennis Buzukja (155.5) vs. Francis Marshall (156)
Jose Medina (186) vs. Zachary Reese (184.5)
Viacheslav Borshchev (155.5) vs. James Llontop (154.5)
Jacqueline Cavalcanti (135) vs. Josiane Nunes (136)
Zygimantas Ramaska (146) vs. Nathan Fletcher (145.5)
Cong Wang (125) vs. Victoria Leonardo (125)

1724449472102.png

#12 magny has been in the ufc for 11+ years and is currently on a L-W-L-W-L-W streak. this will morales 5th ufc fight and is 16-0.

glad i don't bet, as thought the leach would been a good underdog pick last week lol

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you haven't played ball before the NFL the success rate seems very low to zero. Not sure why guys keep trying it. These super athletes have failed time and again.

There is definitely a degree of locker room politics against you. I know word was Gable Steveson was getting given a hard time. I'd guess Brock was given an equally hard time. If the whole team is passive-aggressively disaparaging you, that trickles up to the coaches-- not worth the upset to the team to keep you as a talent. If you didn't play college ball you aren't welcome.

Last edited:

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you haven't played ball before the NFL the success rate seems very low to zero. Not sure why guys keep trying it. These super athletes have failed time and again.

There is definitely a degree of locker room politics against you. I know word was Gable Steveson was getting given a hard time. I'd guess Brock was given an equally hard time. If the whole team is passive-aggressively disaparaging you, that trickles up to the coaches-- not worth the upset to the team to keep you as a talent. If you didn't play college ball you aren't welcome.
I don't think it comes to that, if you want to win or be better you don't kick them out. Being a beast doesn't translate to sports. Linemen and centers can run a 40yd dash in crazy speed at there weight

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think it comes to that, if you want to win or be better you don't kick them out. Being a beast doesn't translate to sports. Linemen and centers can run a 40yd dash in crazy speed at they're weight

I don't have the combine stats on hand, but I recall Lesnar's 40 being very respectable. That being said, I realize there are guys with 50 more pounds than Lesnar doing the same numbers, which would make it easy to cut him just based on that alone.

I don't know anything about Steveson's stats as I never looked into him much beyond headlines.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I don't have the combine stats on hand, but I recall Lesnar's 40 being very respectable. That being said, I realize there are guys with 40-50 more pounds than Lesnar doing the same numbers, which would make it easy to cut him just based on that alone.
4.7s 40 and benched 225 for 30 reps. He played during the preseason and might have gone further but he got into a motorcycle accident and was released while injured.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
This made me think of successful players who didn't play in college. All I could think of was that swan guy who played Dline for the cards and maybe chistian okoye. I know he didn't play in high school, not 100% sure if he played in college.

Anyway, I looked it up and I'm surprised how many there were. Michael Lewis WR for the saints, pro bowl in 2002. Antonio Gates TE for the lightning bolts, probably the second or third best TE in NFL history. Didn't really recognize any others on the list. One of them still plays for the redskins, but technically he came from NFL europe so it's not quite the same.

Oh and kickers don't count on this list.