MMA Thread

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Biggest mistake Machida made was engaging in the in close handfighting with Weidman in the 3rd. Weidman is great at that shit and Machida's biggest strength there is his throws/trips and knees, and he couldn't really do any of that to Weidman, especially that late in the fight.

Also Machida was completely gassed himself in the 5th.

Ronda beat up another scrub. As much as I am reluctantly enjoying watching her improve it's kind of pointless. And it really sucks for her. The best they can do is bring in Holm/Cyborg/Carano at this point. Carano wouldn't make weight and even if she did she's got nothing for Ronda. Bigger power punching but not gonna matter when she takes that rusty old actress down. Holm has never fought anyone in her league and while she's a vastly superior striker she'll be outmuscled and end up on her back. Cyborg is the only one that I think has a real chance, she's got the strength and the clinch experience to maybe avoid the ground. But she is not a 1 shot KO artist and she won't make weight without seriously hurting her gas tank.

Good event though, that Rob Font KO on Roop was awesome, Roop's leg might as well have belonged to someone else the way he was staggering.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think Ronda is the first champion in the UFC that I feel like is being wasted by not having any competition.

Even when A. Silva was beating guys like Lutter / Cote I felt like he was making enough of a performance of it that it didn't matter.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did not expect that. Dhiego has always been the worse Lima but he seemed like the best 185er on the cast. Also that Eddie Gordon is huge for 185. Also also I love how the announcers said absolutely nothing about him landing multiple hammerfists aimed right at the back of Lima's head. "Oh he landed multiple clubbing shots!" Yeah, right to that spot they tell you is the most illegalest ever=P

edit: And Matt VanBuren just took one of the most one-sided short beatings I can remember. He just got punched in the face real hard a whole bunch for like a minute straight without offeringanything.

Fedor

<Banned>
CapitalColorfulJellyfish.gif

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Gee, really looking forward to Frankie Edgar outpointing BJ for the next 25 minutes.

And why do they keep calling Frankie a future hall of famer? Is it possible he makes it in? Sure. Is it guaranteed? I would say absolutely not with his body of work to date.

BJ looks way less intense than he normally does to start a fight

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
FFS BJ, retire already. These guys look like they are moving at 2 totally different speeds. BJ has nothing for him at all

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
BJ looks like trash.

*edit*

What an embarrassing stoppage for BJ too. Just get out of the sport before you Tito your legacy.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
What an absolute fucking beatdown. BJ has never looked that bad after a fight, not even when he got beat up by GSP.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh and some of you mentioned DFW not looking happy with Joe after he mentioned the August 2 card to Ronda, I missed it

GargantuanFairHapuku.gif

Turns out Dana was pissed at the production people that told Joe to ask her about it, not Joe. I guess he knows he was just doing what he was told.

edit: Also also, judge Chris Lee is the one who had Weidman winning 49-45, he gave him a 10-8 for the 3rd round.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Shit, I did completely forget about how bad he looked after the Diaz fight. Bummer to see him go out so poorly the last several fights.

I can't remember the 3rd round very well, but I don't recall it being overly dominant by Weidman, at least not a 10-8 round at least.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was the round he beat Machida's face to a bloody pulp. Came out of that round saying Weidman would finish it next round for certain, then Machida got his second wind and almost swung the fight in the 4th.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and some of you mentioned DFW not looking happy with Joe after he mentioned the August 2 card to Ronda, I missed it

GargantuanFairHapuku.gif

Turns out Dana was pissed at the production people that told Joe to ask her about it, not Joe. I guess he knows he was just doing what he was told.
Haha. It's such an irregular thing I'm surprised they did it without Joe Silva / Dana White's instruction.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even if Uriah never reaches his potential, I will be a fan. It was a brutal fight to watch, knowing how mangled his foot was. I hope he makes a full recovery and is back soon.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New post because different stuff...

Holy shit, the UFC Fight Night Japan promotional stuff is amazing. They were brilliant and took a page straight out of the old Pride/Dream book with these and really nailed it.

Seriously just outstanding. I haven't sat through anything like this in a very long time. The Hunt/Nelson stuff is straight out of the Dream super hulk tournament.