MMA Thread

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Diego was hanging in there up until 6 months to a year ago, which is fairly impressive considering his tenure in the sport. Ellenburger's chin has been gone a very long time, he had needed to hang them up for years now. But yeah, brain damage is piling up quick for them both.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Diego has been flailing away to decisions for the last 7-8 years. Most of the ones that went his way were bullshit. BJ Penn broke him, and bad judging kept stringing him along for the better part of a decade. He should have rode off in to the sunset after the Melendez fight, but that's not what these guys do. All they know is fighting, and in their minds they're just 1-2 fights away from the big payday. And frankly they're not totally wrong with the way the UFC is matching up for the titles anymore.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anybody watching TUF this season? I've always hated Dillashaw and watching him coach, it is making me hard to continue to hate him. I fucking hate that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah he's been a great coach so far and the drama between him and Garbrandt has been pretty amusing. Also Garbrandt apparently has zero idea how to coach, I don't think I've seen him do anything with his guys yet.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also Garbrandt apparently has zero idea how to coach, I don't think I've seen him do anything with his guys yet.

How bad are we talking? Ken Shamrock-Tito TUF bad? Ken cancelling practice and no-showing was priceless.

I need to watch more. This is the first season that has been interesting in a while with the most genuine interactions between coaches.

Rampage-Rashad TUF was supposed to be similar casting of personalities and it turned out to be bullshit with both of them faking it for the camera. Thankfully Garbrandt is a legit hardnose from a tough background (was listening to his biography) and Dillashaw seems like a really good dude. Great casting whoever put these two together.

Last edited:

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
How bad are we talking? Ken Shamrock-Tito TUF bad? Ken cancelling practice and no-showing was priceless.

I need to watch more. This is the first season that has been interesting in a while with the most genuine interactions between coaches.

Rampage-Rashad TUF was supposed to be similar casting of personalities and it turned out to be bullshit with both of them faking it for the camera. Thankfully Garbrandt is a legit hardnose from a tough background (was listening to his biography) and Dillashaw seems like a really good dude. Great casting whoever put these two together.

Nah not that bad, he just has very little interaction with the team. He's leaving everything up to his coaches it looks like and Garbrandt is just there to be there. TJ actually spars and rolls with his team and works really well with the fighter who has a fight coming up. Definitely putting Garbrandt to shame in the coaching department. And yeah you can tell the beef between them is legitimate, even Faber jumps in every now and then lol.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Do you think GSP has any right to immediately compete for a belt after 4 years off?

Copied from top Reddit comment, but relevant:

Anderson is pissed because he has spent money for two camps, and both times fight have been called off (due to no faults of him). He mentions that dozens of fans have bought tickets to see him in Rio, he has spent a long time away from his family, was really excited to fight in Brazil, and he also decline project he was offered.

This time, he actually lost big money because he called off projects he was doing (movies etc) for this camp. Anderson sounds entitled, but let us not remember that the guy had several short notice fights over the years (many times he moved up to fight at light heavyweight also, like the Bonnar fight) to save different cards, so I kinda sympathize with him.

Yes, he sounds a little entitled, but let us put everything in perspective. This guy has been a company guy for years, and said "Yes" to everything the UFC has ordered him to do, even the Reebok deal which caused him millions of dollar in lost sponsorship money.

Don't forget this is the guy that brought the hype back to UFC 200 with a 2 day notice to fight DC while he was recovering from surgery. He did better than Rumble with what was probably a 30+ lb difference from DC.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No, I absolutely don't think GSP deserves a shot. You can go back and see my response when it was first announced. But just because GSP is getting a shot he doesn't deserve, doesn't mean someone else should as well.

Nothing in that comment you copied changes anything about Anderson not deserving a title shot. You give a guy, who has been wholly irrelevant to the weight class for years, a title shot simply for the reasons stated there will just continue to diminish what the title is and who gets a shot. Romero has every right to be calling for an interim shot, dude is on a tear. Anderson can't demand shit just because he was the greatest UFC champ years ago.

All of this is the UFC's own fault though. They have no clear rules on when an Interim belt gets put on the line. They are wildly inconsistent with who gets a title shot as well. And none of that means Anderson has any rights to call for an Interim title shot. Before this last decision win, Anderson didn't have a win since 2012, and that was over Stephan Bonnar.

I don't give a shit what he had to pay for his camps, or his past. He 100% does not deserve an interim title shot.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Sorry if this has already been said, I am a little behind on this thread...but the real reason GSP is getting a title shot is so that Bisping can get a pay day. The Yoel fight does not pay close to what a GSP fight pays.

/CaptainObviousSigningOff

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anderson. When he was on fire, he was touching guys 20 times softer than Jimi Manuwa (which at present is the closest comparison for power).

His striking was why we watch mixed martial arts. There won't be another like him in our lifetime. Strikers like that come once every blue moon. He was the envy of pretty much everyone on the feet, always and forever.