MTG thread

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I thought that Mavrick and Zoo played Voice. Now I don't know if they are still tier 1, or even 2 for that matter, but I thought I saw them in there somewhere. I also haven't played legacy since UG Thresh was the "go-to" deck.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm very tempted to dump my playset of Voice and net an easy $200. I don't believe they are going to stay the price they are. Some people think they'll be a $100 a piece by the end of the year, but that's ridiculous.

businesscats_sl

shitlord
Some kid, who plays a so so R/B deck, pulled a Voice last week at the store I play at. He had no plans of really using it and said no when I offered to buy it from him in cash + trades. I will forever be stuck with only 2.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's seeing play in popular Modern archetypes too. That's pretty much the only way for a Standard card to rise to those prices these days. That and it's a small set mythic, which doesn't help.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I thought that Mavrick and Zoo played Voice. Now I don't know if they are still tier 1, or even 2 for that matter, but I thought I saw them in there somewhere. I also haven't played legacy since UG Thresh was the "go-to" deck.
Zoo hasn't been competitive for quite some time, maverick is T2.

Neither uses voice. Its just not good enough in legacy, even as a sideboard card its weak.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
The fact it is the only card anyone cares about in dragon's maze is a big part of the problem. Avacyn Restored at least had bonfire and cavern and a couple other cards back when everyone was chasing bonfires. DGM has voice and.....?

Blood baron isn't a terrible card, but it definitely isn't a staple and even those that play him typically only play 2-3.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
There are some popular rares from DGM, but nothing on the level of Cavern or Snapcaster. Advent is a damn good card, as is Aetherling, but neither are being played in the quantities necessary to spike the price. Honestly it's a good set, but I suspect a lot of people are like me and got everything they wanted very early when it was all cheap.

My trade pick ups through M14 are pretty much just Deathrites, Jace AoT and Snapcaster. Anything else I'm not bothering with.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Sounds like Grand Prix Las Vegas has some pretty insane attendance, and they had to cap it at 4500 in order to not take 10 hours to process everyone and get the rounds started.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
They also held it in Vegas during the WSOP. Not hard to believe they would have to cap it for that reason alone.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
EDC is also in town. So there's more sluts in pasties to look at than usual.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pretty surprising. I don't think they've ever capped an event before have they?
It was predicted a few months ago on one of the major MTG forums, think mtgsalvation.

The fact that it is sealed deck modern masters (great value for the entry price) and the location make it really interesting.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Small turnout for Modern today. Went undefeated even still, and got some decent stuff out of prize packs. Flipped a foil Deathrite into a regular Deathrite and a Liliana. I'm pretty happy with that for a free afternoon.

businesscats_sl

shitlord
Yesterday before FNM I bought 3 packs, pulled a Voice. At the end of the night I bought the last 5 packs of a new box, since the only thing pulled was a Master of Cruelties, and I ended up getting foil Tajic, Blade of the Legion, Council of the Absolute, Savageborn Hydra, and another Voice. Not a bad night.

Attending a Modern Masters draft tomorrow at the same shop, not sure if I want to buy in since I don't really care about modern and I amterribleat drafting.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Just draft for value. I almost never buy packs because it's cheaper in the long run to just buy specific singles, but opening MM packs is fun as shit. It's pretty hard not to make your money back.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
There's a pic going around, possibly fake, of a guy who opened a foil Goyf and 2 regulars at GP Vegas. Apparently the event had massive problems with people opening expensive cards and just dropping from the tournament rather than bother passing and playing. While I somewhat understand the sentiment, at that point why bother registering for GP Vegas? Why not just buy sealed product and save a plane ticket?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
At 400+ dollars worth of value, that's way higher than your expected return. So drop and do side events or just hit the strip with a bunch of money in your pocket.

You've already won at that point, why NOT drop? And the 'massive problems' are just overblown. Dropping during deck reg does not cause any real problems for anyone. It's just a bunch of people whining on twitter over nothing.