MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I guess. I somewhat understand the sentiment though, at least with MM. If a significant number of people who open money cards like Goyf and Bob drop, it's reducing the instances of those cards being played by people actually in the GP, so their ROI goes down compared to the folks who bail. Given that the limited nature of the set and the chance to play those money cards is what pushed attendance so high, it seems against the spirit of the event.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Sam Black had his way and the rules changed so that cards aren't "yours" until after swap, but I also recognize the severe logistical issues involved. It's just a bummer that the rules legal and best ROI way to attend the event is also the one least in tune with its purpose: playing MTG.

rad

Lord of Guk
The whole droping issue with drafts is really lame. You pull that shit at my local, there is a pretty good chance you'll be blacklisted. If you just want to open packs don't enter a draft, simple concept.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The whole droping issue with drafts is really lame. You pull that shit at my local, there is a pretty good chance you'll be blacklisted. If you just want to open packs don't enter a draft, simple concept.
It's not draft, it's sealed.

The way sealed is done at high level events, you open 6 packs, you register them on a checklist sheet, then the cards and checklists are collected. This is done to prevent cheating.

People were opening their 6 packs, getting a few hundred dollars worth of cards, then dropping so they they can keep the cards they opened. It doesn't actually hurt anyone.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Only guy it hurt was the guy who couldn't register because they hit the 4500 cap.

The expected value of a 4500 person event is so bad that even a Pro would of been better off dropping if they opened $500 worth of cards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Only guy it hurt was the guy who couldn't register because they hit the 4500 cap.

The expected value of a 4500 person event is so bad that even a Pro would of been better off dropping if they opened $500 worth of cards.
Well, yeah, that's true, there's never been a cap to consider before.

rad

Lord of Guk
I know what sealed is, I don't need it explained. I'm speaking in general as this became an issue with drafting MM lately.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Well, yeah, that's true, there's never been a cap to consider before.
The cap is mostly due to the tournament software they use, which is horridly outdated (much like Magic Online). It's so outdated they still have to use laptops/computers with Windows XP to run it.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The cap is mostly due to the tournament software they use, which is horridly outdated (much like Magic Online). It's so outdated they still have to use laptops/computers with Windows XP to run it.
I know that description isn't much to go on, but that sounds suspiciously like the horrible software I watched them use ?10?, ?15? years ago when I played in a few turnies at the old 3 story space WOTC setup by the Seattle UofW campus so they could hold events without gumming up WOTC HQ. The one with the Mino statue over the stairs, entire banks of west facing windows with no curtains (great for evening events...not), and zero AC.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This isn't true. I mean, the event reporter software is shit, but it will run fine in Windows 7 or 8. It runs fine on a surface pro. Actually, the only thing that's still majorly wrong with the event reporter is that THE ENTIRE PROGRAM HANGS while it attempts to contact the remote planeswalker points database when it's used in online mode. If you run it in offline mode and then upload the results later, it runs like a champ, you just can't do DCI lookups when its running like that.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Regardless the software needs to be updated. There is no reason why you need to "hack" the software with 10 year old 3rd party apps just to get the software to show a scrolling matchup list of players with the time in the round.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone wanna buy ~150,000 cards? No idea what 99% of it is, ranges from beta-time spiral with a few gaps around onslaught and mirroden blocks.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Anyone wanna buy ~150,000 cards? No idea what 99% of it is, ranges from beta-time spiral with a few gaps around onslaught and mirroden blocks.
Maybe, if you can compile some kind of a highlights list. If I don't, I have shop owner friends who buy collections.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Regardless the software needs to be updated. There is no reason why you need to "hack" the software with 10 year old 3rd party apps just to get the software to show a scrolling matchup list of players with the time in the round.
The problem is that Wizards of the Coasts refuses to pay for good quality software developers so anything they develop is going to be low quality. Case in point MTGO and D&D Virtual Table. Average entry level salary for a software developer in the Seattle area is in the 100k range. Last I heard Wizards of the Coast only pays around 50k-60k.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I got a friend who buys collections who might be interested, how much are you thinking?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd be interested for the right price. I lost a ton of my old cards from those years in a flood.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
The problem is that Wizards of the Coasts refuses to pay for good quality software developers so anything they develop is going to be low quality. Case in point MTGO and D&D Virtual Table. Average entry level salary for a software developer in the Seattle area is in the 100k range. Last I heard Wizards of the Coast only pays around 50k-60k.
As of a year ago, they weren't even trying to do software dev in house anymore. Roughly a year ago, I was talking to their last remaining dev and his job had devolved to managing offshore devs from India for all the software dev. He was miserable and starting to look for a job.

Offshoring work is common, but most companies seem to have learned you only use it for the stuff your own guys really don't want to do. Unit testing, meaningless one off work, etc. The critical stuff needs to be done in by competent FTEs or competent consultants or you end up with nonsense like a basic program like the MTGO client taking ridiculously long to finish.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
Possibly if there is a few pics of said collection or what not or some sort of breakdown, I deal with a few local dealers in the SC area

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think in the end, this might end up being thier biggest mistake for continuity of game. If they would have taken the time to actually design a good interface for MtGO, they could have gotten so many more customers. Imagine all the players that live in remote areas that are not lucky enough to have a store near them. I live in Athens GA. and we have one store that might get 25 players for FNM and 8 for drafts. I imagine that rural areas have nothing. Make MtGO tablet usuable, and much more user friendly, and it would have changed everything.

It is the reason "Hex , Shards of Fate" has a chance to become the next big game. Hex uses the exact same ruleset as Magic, but also adds things that only digital could do. If they can work out a viable tournament system with prizes that support cash flow(Through trades or direct cash), then this game has a chance to take over the online market for card games that are not poker.