MTG thread

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah, I am personally feeling that a burn themed deck might be a thing in standard again too. The red god seems super fun in combination with Young Pyromancer and Akroan Crusader. Also seems like Ogre Battle driver could be really good too.

Need to see more spoilers though.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Lots left to go. I really don't think we can guess strategies without seeing the nonbasics. Mana fixing is the bedrock of any format, so we'll need to know what we're gaining in exchange for check lands.

I quite like Nykthos, but it'll take some work to make it powerful. Big red might be able to do a lot with it packing reckoners and burning trees to accelerate into turn 6 quickly. Pity it's losing Thundermaw.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
All of the good haste creatures are leaving.. I'm really sad I can't aggro face-roll.

Xalara

Golden Squire
A few more like that and I will likely jump on a full set preorder ($260). Then turn around and sell for monies day one.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mana ramp that requires you to have a bunch of creatures in play, cast that planeswalker, then still have more stuff in your hand that you want to play? Seems TERRIBLE.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
He's overheated at $40 like all presale planeswalkers, but I think he has a good series of abilities. Even say, 2 creatures is excellent fixing and ramps you quite a bit in today's Standard. He also protects himself with 2/2 tokens that are also hasty for the offensive. His ultimate follows the usual "powerful but not game breaking" philosophy of most modern planeswalkers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Domri's ultimate is powerful and gamebreaking and a lot more realistic to hit too.

Xalara

Golden Squire
If you can reliably use Xenagos as a pseudo Burning Tree Emissary the turn you cast him then he will probably see a good bit of play. If not, then it is still very much up in the air as to whether or not he will be good.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
If you don't, his 0 is pretty great anyway. A steady stream of 2/2 tokens is nothing to sneeze at. I think he's very likely to enable some interesting new decks working alongside Domri.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
He's much much worse than Garruk Relentless, let's just say that.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Apples and oranges aside from their 0 ability, where Xenagos has a slight edge. Otherwise they're doing very different things. Garruk and Domri are both much better at removing a threat, but Domri is less effective at protecting himself.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Okay I'm wrong.

Turn 1 elf.

Turn 2 burning tree into the new sylvan caryatid or whatever you want really.

Turn 3 planeswalker, cast ogre piledriver, or whatever really.

Turn 4 cast some big 6 mana garruk, play something huge.

Turn 5 draw a bunch of cards with garruk's +1 ability, AND HAVE THE MANA TO PLAY THEM ALL.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Turn 1: Experiment 1
Turn 2: BTE > Caryatid, evolve twice
Turn 3: Xenagos, make a token or cast 3cmc or less for free (such as Domri)
Turn 4: Cast something huge and awful, fight with Domri, or just generally do whatever the fuck you want with 8-9 mana.
Turn 5: Pop a Monstrous ability for a lot. Blow up lands, eat shit with the hydra, etc.

It's not that farfetched.
smile.png

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
What'd you guys think shock lands and desecration demon will top out ($ value) at?

I invested in 20 desecrations back when they were 4$/ea.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Dese Demon might rise a bit but not a ton. Maybe $6. Shocklands will be $20 each by next Modern season.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
mmm.. I'm sorry, but just his +0 ability makes him relevant. 2/2s with haste every turn is good. If you have two mana elves out to power him out turn 3, then you make a 2/2 if you don't have another mana dork or 2 drop. If you have a 2 drop to drop with his +1, even better. Next turn (turn 4) you could have upwards of 7-9 mana available (satyr hedonist potentially?) if they haven't killed any creatures. At the very least, 5-6 mana.

I think he's very relevant in a mid range/ramp deck. Even with a clear board, coming out and making hasty 2/2s every turn is very good. He's like a Huntmaster that is flipping every turn without having to cast anything. Plus, he starts ramping his +1 by himself if they don't deal with him or the tokens.

Since the other garruks are gonna rotate out by the time he's legal in standard, the one you want to look at is Garruk, caller of beasts. He helps you ramp up to that one on the following turn in my above scenario. That garruk lets you refill your hand immediately, after dumping it to ramp out stuff. It's a very nice curve, imo.