NBA 2012-13 Season Thread - Crown The Heat!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't disagree with anything you're saying other than to echo what fanaskin said. The whole NBA is trained to give Tim Duncan face after every whistle. You'll never see a player nod at a ref and say 'good call' after committing a foul.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Scotty Brooks, ladies and gents. What a fucking joker. Del Negro at least is glad to have Brooks coaching in the NBA.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is going to suck when they somehow don't fire him this offseason. He is so incredibly shitty.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I so hope the Rockets come back and take the series from the Thunder. Durant can only do so much by himself.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Omer Asik has shoulders of steel.

asiktrain_medium.gif

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Embarrassing, shit like that needs rule changes. And no, I don't mean fining some 2nd string player on a shitty team the first month of the season then forgetting all fucking about it.

You wonder why so many stars get hurt, it's because nonathletic guys like Fisher are trying to jump in front of someone going full speed to play "defense." Funny it gets rewarded.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
God damn I hate Derek Fisher so much. He barely even got grazed on that play and look at his little bitch ass. He's the only reason I'm rooting against the Thunder this entire playoffs.

Jovec

?
It's not easily solvable because the defender cannot apply any real counter-force. You can argue charge/block in the gif above, but it is not flopping. There is also a fine line regarding how long it takes for a defender to be considered "set" - make it too long and the ability to play defense is crippled.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fisher is the biggest POS in the NBA, has been for years

Finding this series very frustrating. Rockets are fucking retarded, grabbing 12-15 point leads late and then jacking up shots with 20 seconds on the shot clock, bad looks at that

I'm also finding myself getting angry at Durant, which sucks. He's having to do god damn everything on the team right now, and that includes picking up every cheap call he can. I don't blame him, he's keeping the Thunder around, but gah

Westbrook, ball hog and all, seems to be a pretty important part of the team!

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I honestly don't remember Hack-a-Shaq was anything like what I saw last night with Hack-an-Asik. I remember the hacks being only when Shaq had the ball and he was down in the post, not while his team was moving up the court offensively and the ball not being in his hands. While it is a great way to stop momentum and buy time your team to get back into the game, I think it bullshit move. If player X has the ball in their hands then fine, you can hack him, stop the clock, shoot free throws if the offensive team is in the bonus, etc etc. But if player X doesn't have the ball in their hands, it should be an outright technical foul for delaying the progression of the game.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it's pretty amazing how much this has exposed just how thin they are. Reggie Jackson shouldn't be taking the 2nd most shots for any team in the league, but who else is going to? Outside of Durant and Martin (who went 1/10 last game) there is literally no one else on the team that can create.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
The matchup is going to be rough of the Thunder get the Spurs. A big reason why the Rockets have been able to do anything is because Perkins is worthless inside and Ibaka, while a threat defensively and an athletic freak, is the least scary 14/8 big man offensively for some reason to me

Szlia

Having both Durant and Westbrook on the floor makes it very difficult to defend against the Thunder as both have a large offensive arsenal. When Durant is alone, it's possible to keep him silent for long periods of time (like in the fourth quarter of game five), making the team a lot more manageable. To the point I can see the Rockets being the first team to ever recover from 0-3 down in a NBA playoff.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Fisher is the biggest POS in the NBA, has been for years

Finding this series very frustrating. Rockets are fucking retarded, grabbing 12-15 point leads late and then jacking up shots with 20 seconds on the shot clock, bad looks at that

I'm also finding myself getting angry at Durant, which sucks. He's having to do god damn everything on the team right now, and that includes picking up every cheap call he can. I don't blame him, he's keeping the Thunder around, but gah

As cheap as Durant's foul drawing has been (and he has always been protected) he still has only shot 2 more fts than Harden, so glass houses.

Westbrook's injury has been somewhat a blessing in disguise in that it is exposing Brooks as being a fucking retarded coach.

But, if Martin hadn't shit the bed this series, people still might be too stupid to realize just how bad Presti botched the job by re-signing Brooks.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Looking forward to tonight's Nuggets-Warriors game. Obviously want to avoid a Game 7, but I think if the Warriors lose in their house the Nuggets will win this round. Denver is such a hard place to play. Really I want to see Curry hit 40 points and be 9/9 on 3's. Regardless, neither team is going to make it past the next round. If the Warriors make it, I'm just hoping it goes to Game 5 or 6.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Thunder don't have enough other guys who can shoot 3s to stretch the floor and keep them from triple teaming Durant (like the Mavs do/did to keep teams from doing the same with Dirk).

Also don't have a coach who can design plays to counteract it either.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
It's not easily solvable because the defender cannot apply any real counter-force. You can argue charge/block in the gif above, but it is not flopping. There is also a fine line regarding how long it takes for a defender to be considered "set" - make it too long and the ability to play defense is crippled.
It's not about whether that play was a charge or a flop at all, it's about the rules. The rules encourage people trying to draw those charges. You should not be encouraging a player to try and run in front of someone, stop all motion, and force a player moving at full speed to run into you. This isn't football, these guys aren't wearing pads. It's stupid and dangerous.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
So your solution is to get rid of charge calls? that's counter productive, just encourages people to run into others instead of defenders running trying to keep people infront of them, which they should be doing anyways...

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So your solution is to get rid of charge calls? that's counter productive, just encourages people to run into others instead of defenders running trying to keep people infront of them, which they should be doing anyways...
I didn't actually offer an alternative. There are plenty of ways you could change it, like say, trying to run in front of someone and stand still is an automatic foul. You can still call charges when a guy tries to clear out with his arms or drives a shoulder into a guy. You want to stop someone on the way to the hoop? Try to block his shot or steal the ball, don't just jump in front of him going full speed and try to crash to the floor.

Again, the incentive to run in front of someone and stand still to draw a foul is poor design.