NBA 2016 Off-Season Thread

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Other than "because they're the Lakers! Duh!" why would Lebron go to any Western team? If accumulating titles is his goal than staying with the Cavs is his best option right now. Everyone makes fun of how weak the East is but that gives the Cavs an easy route all the way to the Finals. I'm not sure we will be able to go back to back championships but I do expect to see a third Golden State / Cleveland rematch again next year assuming both teams retain their core.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Other than "because they're the Lakers! Duh!" why would Lebron go to any Western team? If accumulating titles is his goal than staying with the Cavs is his best option right now. Everyone makes fun of how weak the East is but that gives the Cavs an easy route all the way to the Finals. I'm not sure we will be able to go back to back championships but I do expect to see a third Golden State / Cleveland rematch again next year assuming both teams retain their core.
Not that "because Lakers" hasn't been a valid argument for big named players in the past, but the best argument I see is that some other teams that people argued were better or could have beaten the Cavs are in a position to get a lot better whereas the Cavs are pretty locked in. The fact it's quite possible the Warriors or Spurs could add Durant is scary and kinda dumb in the way the NBA does cap-space rises. I'm not even sure Durant even fixes the Warriors' weaknesses without some other additions, but just the realization that the team you had to have everything go perfectly to beat added one of the best players in the league could get Lebron thinking.

He's the one that's been leaving the door open, too. Yearly contracts. Not contractually or verbally committing to the Cavs long term. Really having the organization go all in to try to win the championship he promised. And now that he has, people will forgive him for leaving again. May be smart for his brand, too. How many more championships do we expect the Cavs to win when few people expected them to even win this first one? I know, I know, if he gets to the finals he'll have a chance. But math and history don't prove that's a given. He could see having a better chance with another team that could be even more stacked in a bigger market and in a situation where he could win a few more championships with a little less of it being all on his shoulders as he ages.

He's not one in favor of a slow rebuilding process, though. So I think what keeps him in Cleveland another year is there aren't enough big names for him to team up with to make an instant contender. Then, next year, after the Cavs don't repeat, we'll probably see something stupid like Westbrook, Griffin and Lebron team up for the most athletic team ever.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Lakers are finally free of Bryant, and now that proud franchise can reload and develop another superstar team with a huge money superstar leading the charge. Either that or a duo or trio of 3 really good stars.

Im not sure if they get rid of Russel, they will probably dump the 31 year old, awful Nick Young with his whole 3 points per game. They should have money to spend and they have a ton of options.
I agree, wateriswet!

If they can get LeBron there, to play with Russel and hit on a young star in the draft, they are instantly the best team in the West.
Were on such a roll with pointing out a bunch of basic facts. Then you tried to make a conclusion and, well, I don't think Lebron on a team with a bunch of unproven young players would make them instantly the best team in the West. Maybe the East, but Lebron on the Lakers is better than Warrior or Spurs even assuming neither team makes deals or signs any players? Jozu bein' Jozu.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Posted my draft prediction..

Suns looking to dump Bledsoe and trade pick for young big apparently. Sixers trade Noel and late picks to Suns for Bledsoe and 4.

Sixers trade Okafor, Bledsoe and #4 to lakers for Russell and #2.

Call it a day!
I think the Suns are stuck with Bledsoe. I like him a ton, mostly because of how insane he is defensively, but he's one knee injury away from being Brandon Roy 2.0. I really don't think he's a player that gets moved.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rumored deal. I'm not feeling it.

Okafor + 24 + 26 + Staus + possibly Landry/lower of the Sac/Philly pick in 2017
FOR
3 + 16 + Bradley/Smart

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Regarding LeBron to the Lakers...

Do you really think LeBron wants to train a young kid all over again? It seems like he just got Kyrie trained up. Only way I see LeBron going to LA is if 2-3 other proven vets go there too. I would not be shocked to see the Cavs pick KD, though I do think it is unlikely. If I had to bet my house I would say LeBron stays, they trade Love with something decent in return and they pick up an above average free agent.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
What he said.

He is 31, just got his 3rd ring. He dumped Wiggins for Love because he wanted to win now. Was that good long term? Probably not but he doesn't care about the 2020-2021 season at age 36. He cares about now. He isn't going to spend 2-3 years getting a team to championship form. He can coast in the east. No way is he leaving. Kyrie at 24 is there for the long haul. Love? Trade asset or work around him.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If KD is actually interested in going to Cleveland the Warriors need to do everything in their power (wallet) to keep that from happening.

I still think KD stays with OKC for one more year. But the Warriors loss really makes things interesting because they'll no doubt be making some splashy moves.

Sterling

El Presidente
Still think KD going to the Spurs is what should happen. That would be an amazing nucleus that would continue on the tradition of 55+ wins every year and deep playoff runs almost every year and winning a number of championships over the next however many years.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I don't see Durant to Cleveland. I just don't know how that would even work with the salary cap. I guess we could trade Lose Love but Kyrie and Tristan aren't going anywhere. Lebron likes them too much and despite Thompson getting overpaid he's shown he's worth some of that.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol

It's Official! Sixers worked out Simmons this morning and told him they will be drafting him with #1!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Embiid cleared to scrimmage! Various reports Jah close to being traded to Boston. If that happens the sixers love Dunn. Just like me.

Life is great as a sixer fan.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This.

Warriors will win two more championships before any Philly franchise makes it to a conference championship series/game.
Well.. I know you prob jumped on the GS wagon when they got good but I've been enduring these losing seasons for years now and we have what appears to be a healthy Joel Embiid and the #1 Pick who looks like he has the potential to be great in this league. Not to mention Saric, Noel and probably Dunn if Jah gets moved. The process is almost over here and I'm liking what we've built.

P.S. Don't make anymore bets, last time you did that your team lost 3 in a row..

P.P.S.. Cavs proved you're pretty one dimensional overall. Need to work on that or will lose again,.

zubdub_sl

shitlord
If the Lakers were ever in a time to make a big move like grabbing KD this would be it. The Lakers are all fucked up in the game right now, and have no qualms doing weird shit out of desperation, lest we forget the incredible Dwight/Steve Nash year-- not that picking up KD would be weird at all. KD, as much as he probably would like to stick around and follow Russel in 2 seasons, has gotta know that the Thunder can't get a ring next year, so why waste a year of his prime? If I were him I'd head out... wouldn't be surprised if Pat Riley was up to somethin.......

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Embiid cleared to scrimmage! Various reports Jah close to being traded to Boston. If that happens the sixers love Dunn. Just like me.

Life is great as a sixer fan.
If Dunn had been in last year's draft he would have gone at the end of the 1st round. This draft sucks. You're a loyal fan, Convo, and you talk up anyone that puts on or may put on a 6ers jersey. Remember telling me that Jah's play was sure to improve once Tony Wroten came back? Think about how little you care about Wroten now that he isn't on the team anymore (or on any team for that matter). Just how good is Ish Smith? Is he really good? I bet you think so.

Be extremely happy with Simmons. If you're trading Okafor for Smart and #3 the prize in that deal is Smart. Dunn maybe ends up a decent role player. There's literally zero evidence to expect anything more. His stats do not compare to previous PG prospects and he's very, very old. Marcus Smart is younger than him even.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
KD isn't going to the lakers or the Cavs. No one wants to go to the lakers and Cavs couldn't fit him in even if he wanted to deal with Lebron's ego and control. GS? That sounds perfect. Young team with flexibility on the money front? Ability to have fun and win rings too? Too damn tempting even if he wouldn't be a perfect fit. He could stay or go but GS will probably be pick #1 if he leaves.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well to be fair, I've stated i liked Dunn all along. I still do, he;s a big athletic guard that can play D. his shot isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

And I'm still worried about losing Jah, I think he turns into a great player.