NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Starting from today, which Cleveland team is the first to four wins – Browns or Cavs?

We can even include NFL preseason which begins in August. NBA begins in October. Browns might get 6 regular season games plus 4 preseason games before Cavs' opening night.

Considering the only way LeBron plays in Cleveland in October is if he's in the visitor's dressing room, I'll take the Browns.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
Starting from today, which Cleveland team is the first to four wins – Browns or Cavs?

We can even include NFL preseason which begins in August. NBA begins in October. Browns might get 6 regular season games plus 4 preseason games before Cavs' opening night.

Browns won all their preseason games last year. I would wager they will this year too. No team is going to waste many pre-season reps against the browns. Other teams use pre-season games against the browns to double-check everyone is rock-solid on how to properly clap after a huddle. Once that checks out, they let the Browns win.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

I'm betting on the Brownies here. Cleveland may win all 4 preseason games but should win 2 at least. That should give some cushion against a Cavs team without LeBron. I don't even like Cleveland but I like their chances to get 6 this year. That division will be terrible too.

Edit- lmao Sadre Spinegnawer Sadre Spinegnawer . good stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
In that video, I was shocked how long it took Lue to engage the players on the bench. Lebron and JR were literally just sitting there for a good minute and a half before the coach is even in the frame. How many coaches with a chance to beat the Warriors in game one in their own stadium would waste that much valuable time in between regulation and overtime NOT coaching? Lebron can't wait to put this team in his rear-view mirror

• 3Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Chanur is honestly the anti-Gaige at this point.

And it's funny because you look at all the shit MJ (the person Lebron most gets compared to) ever said to his teammates, before, after and during games, and it could get pretty vicious, tearing them apart. Lebron will allow himself exasperation but he really doesn't throw people under the bus.

MJ to Horace Grant: "“You’re an idiot. You’ve screwed up every play we ever ran. You’re too stupid to even remember the plays. We ought to get rid of you.”

I'm sure if Lebron said shit like that about his guys he'd get roasted here for being a team cancer. For MJ, it's leadership.

No I am just pointing out you Lebron pudding swallowers are all Gaige. If you are going to praise his leadership when he wins with his team then you need to bash him when he fails to lead them. Predictably though people hurry in to defend him with their double standards.

• 3Like
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's possible to like and not like aspects of LeBron at the same time. I know this is a surprise for Internet culture, but you don't have to go all in with love/hate.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
No I am just pointing out you Lebron pudding swallowers are all Gaige. If you are going to praise his leadership when he wins with his team then you need to bash him when he fails to lead them. Predictably though people hurry in to defend him with their double standards.

Except I don't praise his leadership. Pretty sure I've never made a single post praising that attribute. I don't think he's the greatest leader the NBA world has ever seen, but that video clip is hardly an indictment of him. Thinking everyone who says a positive thing about him or argues against a criticism is his pudding swallower shows just how extreme you are. Life is not binary.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Pelton mail: Does LeBron really make his teammates better?

Somewhat interesting article, but I think it has a little bit of an overemphasis on usage.

You can see the Warriors were a team that showed an increase in performance for their newcomers, which isn't surprising since I think they have a more team-oriented offensive system than the Cavs, Rockets, or Thunder.

Yup, that is the problem with running ISO ball as your primary offensive option. Even the Warriors got bit by it a couple of times in the Houston series when Durant played in to it way too much.

As far as the Lebron love/hate dichotomy goes, at this point I just appreciate his greatness while still acknowledging his faults. For me he is the 2nd best of all time behind Jordan. Lebron's value as a leader is kind of high, yet low at the same time. He obviously cares for his guys and goes out of his way to get them their value and involvement off the court which is respectable. However I've seen him give up and go in to his own little bubble in too many big games to really put his on court leadership at Jordan/Kobe/Magic levels. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with coaching in the end though. Even when Jordan or Magic were at their height they weren't above Jackson or Riley. Whereas Lebron has no accountability to Lue or the majority of coaches he has played for.

• 4Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yup, that is the problem with running ISO ball as your primary offensive option. Even the Warriors got bit by it a couple of times in the Houston series when Durant played in to it way too much.

As far as the Lebron love/hate dichotomy goes, at this point I just appreciate his greatness while still acknowledging his faults. For me he is the 2nd best of all time behind Jordan. Lebron's value as a leader is kind of high, yet low at the same time. He obviously cares for his guys and goes out of his way to get them their value and involvement off the court which is respectable. However I've seen him give up and go in to his own little bubble in too many big games to really put his on court leadership at Jordan/Kobe/Magic levels. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with coaching in the end though. Even when Jordan or Magic were at their height they weren't above Jackson or Riley. Whereas Lebron has no accountability to Lue or the majority of coaches he has played for.

Definitely agreed about coaching. I think it helped Spoelstra a lot when Riley openly backed him (especially since Riley took out Van Gundy so he could run the 2006 team). It gave him credibility.

Kinda disagree about Kobe being in that group with magic and mj, though. Kobe had some famous "not taking shots in a half" games to try and prove a point.

This Day in NBA Playoffs History: Kobe Bryant Goes AWOL in Game 7 of the 2006 NBA Playoffs Against the Suns

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
It's possible to like and not like aspects of LeBron at the same time. I know this is a surprise for Internet culture, but you don't have to go all in with love/hate.
You might have a point if people were not defending his bad behaivor.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>

That is my issue. Make no mistake this Cavs team is Lebrons not Lue's. No one sees the coach as their leader. That is why I feel his attitude at the end was so damaging to their chances.

I also look forward to people contorting themselves to defend Lebron going to a competitive team after bitching a out Durant.

• 3Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Definitely agreed about coaching. I think it helped Spoelstra a lot when Riley openly backed him (especially since Riley took out Van Gundy so he could run the 2006 team). It gave him credibility.

Kinda disagree about Kobe being in that group with magic and mj, though. Kobe had some famous "not taking shots in a half" games to try and prove a point.

This Day in NBA Playoffs History: Kobe Bryant Goes AWOL in Game 7 of the 2006 NBA Playoffs Against the Suns

I'll give you the Kobe thing. As a Chicagoan I'll freely admit that if Lebron had went to the Spurs instead of back to Cleveland he would be the best player of all time. Pop wouldn't put up with LeGM or the tuning out that Lebron has been prone too. We'd probably be looking at Seven rings minimum if Lebron played under an all timer at head coach.

Now before somebody starts on the "you only have MJ over Lebron because of Championships?!" argument that is always thrown out... it isn't quite that simple. Not only would Lebron have more rings then Jordan but he could have actually learned to be the on court leader and go for the throat mentality that Jordan had if he wasn't loaded down with building a team and playing hero ball against every team that matters. A hall of fame coached team with reliable role players is going to elevate an elite player's status much more then the admittedly gaudy numbers that LBJ is forced to put up be default with these Cavs lineups and play styles. Its the same reason Brady and Montana are the top GOAT prospects in football as opposed to someone like Archie Manning or Dan Marino. Basically the difference between being the most elite prototypical specimen in your sport and being the well rounded ideal that a player should be.

• 4Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LeBron has his faults. He is self important, the guy talks to himself in 3rd person on social media, he is a complainer on the court, he is a cry baby when it comes to basketball luck and below average teammates, and worse of all, he has a shitty attitude unless his team is winning, and he is the reason why.

With all those faults, his on court production erases that shit, it just does. When your averaging 37 11 9 in the playoffs (If the Cavs other players actually hit shots he would be averaging like 14 assists per) and put up 50 in a finals game, went for 40 plus SEVEN times in one playoff run, and has a championship on his resume against a 73 win Warriors team already, his position is unassailable.

• 4Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
LeBron has his faults. He is self important, the guy talks to himself in 3rd person on social media, he is a complainer on the court, he is a cry baby when it comes to basketball luck and below average teammates, and worse of all, he has a shitty attitude unless his team is winning, and he is the reason why.

With all those faults, his on court production erases that shit, it just does. When your averaging 37 11 9 in the playoffs (If the Cavs other players actually hit shots he would be averaging like 14 assists per) and put up 50 in a finals game, went for 40 plus SEVEN times in one playoff run, and has a championship on his resume against a 73 win Warriors team already, his position is unassailable.
*you're

• 1Dislike

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The fact that Lebron keeps jumping ship to "super teams" only to have the narrative be that he can't get any help a year or two later says everything about his leadership skills and whether or not he makes his teammates better.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
LeBron's "super teams" have rarely, if ever, been the most talented roster in the NBA for that given year. (He's been favored by Vegas betting odds to win the championship just twice)

The straws people grasp at to vilify the guy.

• 3Like
  • 2Picard

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The fact that Lebron keeps jumping ship to "super teams" only to have the narrative be that he can't get any help a year or two later says everything about his leadership skills and whether or not he makes his teammates better.
Joing the Cavs is like the perfect antithesis to your entire statement. He didn't go back to Cleveland in any way because he thought they were a super team. His fans beat the shit out of him for leaving his home for Miami, so he went back, and put up a remarkable performance, dragging a shit team out of the dirt. I don't like the guy as a person, but as a player he deserves to play with a proper team.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Joing the Cavs is like the perfect antithesis to your entire statement. He didn't go back to Cleveland in any way because he thought they were a super team. His fans beat the shit out of him for leaving his home for Miami, so he went back, and put up a remarkable performance, dragging a shit team out of the dirt. I don't like the guy as a person, but as a player he deserves to play with a proper team.

Right, the fact that they got 3 #1 picks and he would be playing with Kyrie and Kevin Love had nothing to do with it. It was totally a feel good redemption thing

Didn't know people actually believed that stupid narrative

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 6 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Right, the fact that they got 3 #1 picks and he would be playing with Kyrie and Kevin Love had nothing to do with it. It was totally a feel good redemption thing

Didn't know people actually believed that stupid narrative

So much for that, eh.

Last edited: