NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to have to agree with Ambi...because it's fact.This reinvention of facts and history is crazy. Lebron chose where he was going and who he was playing with. Love officially traded to Cavs in 3-team deal. They traded for what was considered the best PF in the game and had Irving who was an exceptional talent and an All-Star. Lebron formed the next super-team for his run in Cleveland. Hell, except for that one year in Oklahoma, the Warriors, and this last year of blockbuster teams...where the hell has a team loaded with that kind of talent been hiding the past 20 years? Oh...just with Lebron. That Celtics team wasn't as loaded and they were older and more injured.

Want Lebron to play for you? You better put together what he thinks is a super team. It's pretty damn well known at this point.

• 1Like
  • 1Cutler
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
What top tier talent in the modern NBA has chosen to play for a shitty team? I think Dirk is the only loyal dude – he took paycuts so many times, even he tried to recruit players to Dallas, and he won a Championship.

Since 2001, here are the MVP winners:
Tim Duncan – surrounded by Pop, Manu, and Tony Parker organically. There's no better, more talented team and consistent organization in the NBA
Kevin Garnett – quit on Minnesota to join Paul Pierce and Ray Allen
Steve Nash – recruited Shaq to Phoenix, loved Stoudimire, and then left to join the Super Lakers with Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, and Pau
Dirk – he did recruit some dudes, but stuck with Mark Cuban through everything. Team always tried to do right by him, both sides acted in good faith 10/10
Kobe – famously pouted and demanded a trade away from the Lakers when the team didn't surround him with talent. Played with/recruited some super talented guys like Shaq, Pau, Bynum, Dwight Howard, and fellow former MVP Steve Nash
Derrick Rose – his career was too short for anyone to judge. RIP his knees, dude was amazing
LeBron – he's recruited some dudes for sure and has left franchises when they sucked/didn't suit him
Kevin Durant – quit on future MVP winner Russell Westbrook, joined a 73-win team that featured two-time MVP Steph Curry
Steph – recruited LeBron stopper Igoudala, then recruited former MVP Kevin Durant after the core of his team, entering their primes, won an NBA record 73 games and a championship
Russ – dude recruited Paul George and Melo to OKC. Dude's career has been short, unfair to judge him completely just yet

LeBron isn't perfect, but this is how has worked for a long time now. These double standards are ridiculous. The biggest stars in the NBA do have a say in who they play with. Players have leverage. LeBron might have more leverage than all of them. Yes, he wields it to his advantage.

Dirk deserves more hype. Dude sacrificed a lot for the Mavericks over the years. No one else in today's NBA has shown that propensity.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
  • 2Cutler
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Curry didn't take a discount to sign Durant. He was just on a high risk high reward contract given his injury history. He was paid his market value at the time. When next contract talks came up he became the highest paid player in NBA history. Durant is the one that took a big discount.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Curry didn't take a discount to sign Durant. He was just on a high risk high reward contract given his injury history. He was paid his market value at the time. When next contract talks came up he became the highest paid player in NBA history. Durant is the one that took a big discount.

Thx. Edited.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What top tier talent in the modern NBA has chosen to play for a shitty team? I think Dirk is the only loyal dude – he took paycuts so many times, even he tried to recruit players to Dallas, and he won a Championship.

Since 2001, here are the MVP winners:
Tim Duncan – surrounded by Pop, Manu, and Tony Parker organically. There's no better, more talented team and consistent organization in the NBA
Kevin Garnett – quit on Minnesota to join Paul Pierce and Ray Allen
Steve Nash – recruited Shaq to Phoenix, loved Stoudimire, and then left to join the Super Lakers with Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, and Pau
Dirk – he did recruit some dudes, but stuck with Mark Cuban through everything. Team always tried to do right by him, both sides acted in good faith 10/10
Kobe – famously pouted and demanded a trade away from the Lakers when the team didn't surround him with talent. Played with/recruited some super talented guys like Shaq, Pau, Bynum, Dwight Howard, and fellow former MVP Steve Nash
Derrick Rose – his career was too short for anyone to judge. RIP his knees, dude was amazing
LeBron – he's recruited some dudes for sure and has left franchises when they sucked/didn't suit him
Kevin Durant – quit on future MVP winner Russell Westbrook, joined a 73-win team that featured two-time MVP Steph Curry
Steph – recruited LeBron stopper Igoudala, then recruited former MVP Kevin Durant after the core of his team, entering their primes, won an NBA record 73 games and a championship
Russ – dude recruited Paul George and Melo to OKC. Dude's career has been short, unfair to judge him completely just yet

LeBron isn't perfect, but this is how has worked for a long time now. These double standards are ridiculous. The biggest stars in the NBA do have a say in who they play with. Players have leverage. LeBron might have more leverage than all of them. Yes, he wields it to his advantage.

Dirk deserves more hype. Dude sacrificed a lot for the Mavericks over the years. No one else in today's NBA has shown that propensity.

Not sure what your even trying to say here, but acting like "recruiting" and ditching a team whenever it doesn't win a title every year are as if they're the same thing title is lol

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Not sure what your even trying to say here, but acting like "recruiting" and ditching a team whenever it doesn't win a title every year are as if they're the same thing title is lol

You're so biased that you need to use different words as if this isn't a league-wide phenomenon and LeBron is special in this regard.

Of the best players in the post-Michael Jordan NBA, which of them, in your opinion, have chosen to be loyal? IMO, Dirk is the only dude who legit sacrificed and made the hard decision to stay put. Every other MVP (except Tim Duncan) since the Jordan era has either left his own team to win a title or brought in other stars to win a title, and Tim Duncan was perennially surrounded by two all-stars and won 4 titles in 7 years already.

No one gives a shit when 99% of the NBA bounces from team to team for a variety of reasons. Shaq bounced around from team to team more than LeBron and no one gives a fuck. But all of a sudden when LeBron leaves a team, he's persona non grata.

LeBron, like nearly every player in today's NBA, wields his leverage to make that happen (and the leverage that he does have, while mighty, is exaggerated). Guys like Dirk are a while elephant, everyone else is like LeBron.

• 2Cutler
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You're so biased that you need to use different words as if this isn't a league-wide phenomenon and LeBron is special in this regard.

Of the best players in the post-Michael Jordan NBA, which of them, in your opinion, have chosen to be loyal? IMO, Dirk is the only dude who legit sacrificed and made the hard decision to stay put. Every other MVP (except Tim Duncan) since the Jordan era has either left his own team to win a title or brought in other stars to win a title, and Tim Duncan was perennially surrounded by two all-stars and won 4 titles in 7 years already.

No one gives a shit when 99% of the NBA bounces from team to team for a variety of reasons. Shaq bounced around from team to team more than LeBron and no one gives a fuck. But all of a sudden when LeBron leaves a team, he's persona non grata.

LeBron, like nearly every player in today's NBA, wields his leverage to make that happen (and the leverage that he does have, while mighty, is exaggerated). Guys like Dirk are a while elephant, everyone else is like LeBron.

This is the rabid fanboyism that causes people not to like Lebron. Sticking to your guns that "recruiting" players is just wordplay and the exact same as abandoning a team every time it doesn't win a title is absolutely retarded. The only player that belongs on your list is Durant. Nobody else's situation was even close to the same.

Also, lol at saying KG "quit" on Minnesota. Please stop posting clueless shit.

• 7Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 7 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
LeBron is surrounded by the personnel he demanded. Dude can ball on the court and that's as far as it goes regarding basketball. Can't wait to see what team he ends up on and starts shitting up next year.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Right, the fact that they got 3 #1 picks and he would be playing with Kyrie and Kevin Love had nothing to do with it. It was totally a feel good redemption thing

Didn't know people actually believed that stupid narrative
Yup. They had all the potential to be the best team in the league and Lebron hand picked those guys. How quickly people forget.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Lebron has way too much influence on his teams' rosters. Doubt you'd get many people arguing the other side of that. It's probably good Jordan didn't have that kind of influence since he's turned out to be complete shit in the front office.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also, lol at saying KG "quit" on Minnesota. Please stop posting clueless shit.

Have to agree with Ambi here. Minnesota had traded Cassell previously, too, and was at tail end of a few bad years. They were ready to try and get a package for Garnett and reload when they moved him.

• 1Picard

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

It's somewhat odd too, since he took a bigger discount than what they needed to resign Iggy and Livingston, almost $7M more.

I read this bit from the oral history about his signing and it's such a strange thing to read:

At that time in my career, I didn't know how other people felt about my game. And I knew that I was pretty damn good and I knew I worked extremely hard, but I needed that validation from my peers and teams and GMs, people that are really into the game, to really help me feel good about myself and help me feel confident and let me know that what I was doing was working.

This was said AFTER he had won an MVP and been to the Finals. The bigger paycut, that quote, and his little fake Twitter ordeal makes me think he has some self-esteem issues or something. Probably part of the reason why he couldn't man up and tell Westbrook he was leaving (found out through social media and no direct interaction).

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Probably because Westbrook is a douche and they didnt like each other. Westbrook wanted to be the #1.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Naw I think KD is a pretty shy dude. He's not known as being a leader in the locker room. It's all Curry, Green, and Iggy.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
KD can be a shy dude and Westbrook can be a douche and wanting to be the #1.

• 2Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme

As someone that lives in North Texas, I agree completely on your Drik analysis, but have one MINOR nitpick about Cuban. Cuban actually fucked Dirk over following the 2011 championship. Cuban blew up the team intentionally trying to get in on the Superstar Free Agent sweepstakes that followed that year (I think it was Dwight Howar or someone like that) and completely fucked the entire franchise over. Half the fans in Dallas thought it was a good idea at the time, others thought he was a fucking moron. Turned out, he was a moron.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
As someone that lives in North Texas, I agree completely on your Drik analysis, but have one MINOR nitpick about Cuban. Cuban actually fucked Dirk over following the 2011 championship. Cuban blew up the team intentionally trying to get in on the Superstar Free Agent sweepstakes that followed that year (I think it was Dwight Howar or someone like that) and completely fucked the entire franchise over. Half the fans in Dallas thought it was a good idea at the time, others thought he was a fucking moron. Turned out, he was a moron.
Sure, it was a mistake but there's a lot of fans that would want an owner that legit tries to win and is willing to put their money into their team to do it.