NBA 2022-23 Season Thread - Wembanyama Tank-A-Thon Is On!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I doubt you can offer enough money to make it compelling while still being financially sensible.

Part of the problem is the players have such fuck you money it's turned into a fuck you to the fans and the sport that made them the money. Sure, you always had older, established players with enough money they'd show up more as an appearance than a game. But you also had younger players withore incentive, wether financially or staus. It sorta balanced things out and kept a competitive spark.

But now all the players are elevated to untouchable status, and so early, and given so much money why would they give a shit? They're all wildly famous, rich, drowning in endorsements and been convinced their shit hasn't stunk since the 8th grade. What motivation do any of them have to not half ass it?

My solution is the All Star game is no longer relevant or interesting, so they should just cancel it and give players a mid season break to recoup or extra practice or whatever the teams want to do on their own.

But don't keep putting out shit for people to pretend it's great, or worse was always a bad product. The NBA All Star game was always one of the better ones because they could actually play some unlike NFL or even baseball with concerns about pitchers. The NBA All Star game helped greatly to elevate the sport. But it's too high and mighty and the shit feels irrelevant so just cancel it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
tldr.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The Dream Team lost a scrimmage to a team of NCAA stars. Yeah, they easily won a rematch, but team cohesion matters, even against a bunch of college players. Even the magical Dream Team needed extra motivation to play better and they obviously had a much bigger goal.

I don't disagree that the game has become more of a vacation for players than a showcase for fans, but it's also never actually been good. The only All Star game that has ever been decent is the MLB. They might not run the bases hard and pitchers are not always available but no one's throwing 80 mph fastballs in the actual game either.

You're bitter as fuck about everything. Go rewatch some late 90s Knicks vs Heat matchups or some similar era postups where a dude backs someone down for ten seconds while everyone stands still away from the ball and tell me the game has always been more compelling than it is now.

There's also a victim of the moment thing here. Just a couple years ago was a competitive game with the Elam ending system. I'm not sure why they went away from that after one successful year because it seemed to work. Maybe it would have just been a fluke but it surely deserved another chance.

Sterling

El Presidente
All Star game has always been nearly as bad as the Pro Bowl. Jokic gets plenty of love now although it did take awhile for people to get on board the Joker train. I don't think anyone at this point can deny that a very large percentage of the top players are foreign. Also nobody gives a fuck about women's hoops. That shit is organized keep away. There are some watchable women's sports but it sure as fuck isn't basketball.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The Dream Team lost a scrimmage to a team of NCAA stars. Yeah, they easily won a rematch, but team cohesion matters, even against a bunch of college players. Even the magical Dream Team needed extra motivation to play better and they obviously had a much bigger goal.

I don't disagree that the game has become more of a vacation for players than a showcase for fans, but it's also never actually been good. The only All Star game that has ever been decent is the MLB. They might not run the bases hard and pitchers are not always available but no one's throwing 80 mph fastballs in the actual game either.

You're bitter as fuck about everything. Go rewatch some late 90s Knicks vs Heat matchups or some similar era postups where a dude backs someone down for ten seconds while everyone stands still away from the ball and tell me the game has always been more compelling than it is now.

There's also a victim of the moment thing here. Just a couple years ago was a competitive game with the Elam ending system. I'm not sure why they went away from that after one successful year because it seemed to work. Maybe it would have just been a fluke but it surely deserved another chance.

Why not respond to any actual thing I write?

I didn't talk about team cohesion not mattering for competition, and the Dream Team losing a scrimmage isn't a relevant point. Do you not think their scrimmages with themselves were also somehow low quality basketball because they hadn't played together?

I spoke very directly about the notion the quality of basketball on the floor can't be high under some false promises the players haven't practiced together. NBA players especially have spent their entire lives playing basketball, pickup games, traveling seasonal teams, street ball, private scrimmages.

But suddenly the fake because to justify a poor product is that the quality of the All Star game has to be low because the players aren't accustomed to playing with people who aren't teammates? That makes no logical sense.

So, instead of arguing any actual point of the discussion, you bring up some strawman about Knicks games being slow. How does it feel to be unable or unwilling to put some basic reading comprehension behind the points you want to make? Why bother responding and wasting your time bringing up unrelated shit?

Unless your point is somehow that the current culture and product of the All Star game is good because Knicks teams 3 decades ago were slow?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
All Star game has always been nearly as bad as the Pro Bowl. Jokic gets plenty of love now although it did take awhile for people to get on board the Joker train. I don't think anyone at this point can deny that a very large percentage of the top players are foreign. Also nobody gives a fuck about women's hoops. That shit is organized keep away. There are some watchable women's sports but it sure as fuck isn't basketball.
gymnastics, curling, beach volleyball and figure skating. thats it

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
There are some watchable women's sports but it sure as fuck isn't basketball.

Not generally, of course. That Clark chick individually is fun to watch, though. It hurts my sexist soul to admit it, but it's actual basketball she's playing and at a high level. Pity she's not hot.

DickTrickle

Why not respond to any actual thing I write?

I didn't talk about team cohesion not mattering for competition, and the Dream Team losing a scrimmage isn't a relevant point. Do you not think their scrimmages with themselves were also somehow low quality basketball because they hadn't played together?

I spoke very directly about the notion the quality of basketball on the floor can't be high under some false promises the players haven't practiced together. NBA players especially have spent their entire lives playing basketball, pickup games, traveling seasonal teams, street ball, private scrimmages.

But suddenly the fake because to justify a poor product is that the quality of the All Star game has to be low because the players aren't accustomed to playing with people who aren't teammates? That makes no logical sense.

So, instead of arguing any actual point of the discussion, you bring up some strawman about Knicks games being slow. How does it feel to be unable or unwilling to put some basic reading comprehension behind the points you want to make? Why bother responding and wasting your time bringing up unrelated shit?

Unless your point is somehow that the current culture and product of the All Star game is good because Knicks teams 3 decades ago were slow?
Yeah, reading comprehension would be cool. Those comments were in reference to your idea that everything is shit and is getting shittier. You've come here multiple times talking about the poor state of the game and the ASG is just another example. So the 90's comparison relates to that broader idea and I bring up the competitive ASG from just 3 years ago as a specific counter to your current ASG diatribe. I also think you have rose colored glasses about just how competitive the ASG was in the past.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, reading comprehension would be cool. Those comments were in reference to your idea that everything is shit and is getting shittier. You've come here multiple times talking about the poor state of the game and the ASG is just another example. So the 90's comparison relates to that broader idea and I bring up the competitive ASG from just 3 years ago as a specific counter to your current ASG diatribe. I also think you have rose colored glasses about just how competitive the ASG was in the past.

Every time someone brings up legitimate points refuting his unhinged takes he says the same thing. He's just retarded.

I might actually put someone on ignore for the first time. Even peak Muurloen never got to that point.

• 1Pathetic

Sterling

El Presidente
All Star game has always been shit. You could have individuals like AI or Kobe that might care about it but who gives a fuck if the other 9 players on the floor don't. You can bitch about the aesthetics of the current NBA, but there are more great players now than at basically any point ever. The league is wildly deep. Also, there are crazy rose tinted glasses when it comes to 90s hoops. All the "great defense" stuff from back then is mostly just talking about how you used to get away with a much higher rate of hard fouls. And for every time someone got mugged under the basket, you had some free baskets when they just dragged the big out of the paint due to the different rules. Oh look, another possession where a 6'10" guy posts up a 6'5" guy that weighs 60 less lbs while 8 dudes stand around with their thumbs up their butts.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

So your counter my thinking something is shit and getting shittier is to cite limited examples from the past you believe were shit?

When someone says the food at a restaurant is bad and getting worse, do you say, oh yeah, but 30 years ago I got food poisoning here! Like, just to argue for no real reason?

I would argue you're proving my point. The game used to have aspects that were shit, but was getting better.... And now it's shit and continuing to get worse.

As happens with many things a sort of peak happens and people in their hubris don't adjust because they think things can only keep going up, and we experience a decline.

Not at all a controversial observation, which is why, as always, during mass decline of many industries and aspects of society, the more interesting thing has become the people arguing fervently that everything is fine, juuuust fine.

Hrmm, how was there even a competitive All Star game when the players aren't accustomed to playing with one another!? It defies logic! I'm assuming there were a lot of injuries!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Every time someone brings up legitimate points refuting his unhinged takes he says the same thing. He's just retarded.

I might actually put someone on ignore for the first time. Even peak Muurloen never got to that point.

The biggest faggot move ever. Call someone a retard and then announce to a thread of strangers you're going to put them on ignore!

Oh no, your social pressure is really getting to me. Please please faggot on the Internet don't say mean things or threaten to ignore me, I'll confirm better to your expectations if you just accept me!!!!

Fuck you, coward. Don't perforate your anus trying to bury your head in the sand.

I love how the best this thread gets is nobody discussing the actual sport, and any discussion at all is a bunch of nerds yelling shush like it's a library and the lack of any interest or discussion actually proves how fine everything actually is. And the proof to argue against any criticism is for fans to point out how little they're actually even watching. It's cuuucktastic!

NBA fans have devolved so far I'm not sure it's fair to call them human anymore.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The biggest faggot move ever. Call someone a retard and then announce to a thread of strangers you're going to put them on ignore!

Oh no, your social pressure is really getting to me. Please please faggot on the Internet don't say mean things or threaten to ignore me, I'll confirm better to your expectations if you just accept me!!!!

Fuck you, coward. Don't perforate your anus trying to bury your head in the sand.

I love how the best this thread gets is nobody discussing the actual sport, and any discussion at all is a bunch of nerds yelling shush like it's a library and the lack of any interest or discussion actually proves how fine everything actually is. And the proof to argue against any criticism is for fans to point out how little they're actually even watching. It's cuuucktastic!

NBA fans have devolved so far I'm not sure it's fair to call them human anymore.

I KNEW you were going to throw out some kind of coward/faggot/bitch insult to me saying I'll block you. You are as predictable as you are angry. I can see why you think your hills are so important to die on - this is the pinnacle of bravery in your life. Sad bar.

Bye.

• 1Faggotry

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
All Star game has always been shit. You could have individuals like AI or Kobe that might care about it but who gives a fuck if the other 9 players on the floor don't. You can bitch about the aesthetics of the current NBA, but there are more great players now than at basically any point ever. The league is wildly deep. Also, there are crazy rose tinted glasses when it comes to 90s hoops. All the "great defense" stuff from back then is mostly just talking about how you used to get away with a much higher rate of hard fouls. And for every time someone got mugged under the basket, you had some free baskets when they just dragged the big out of the paint due to the different rules. Oh look, another possession where a 6'10" guy posts up a 6'5" guy that weighs 60 less lbs while 8 dudes stand around with their thumbs up their butts.

It's like a script. Any criticism and just declare someone has rose colored glasses for the 90s and cite the worst aspects of one of the most exciting eras of a sport. Brilliant.

The 90s were good because the game was evolving past slow ball into the modern age. It was a good balance overall, where you still had defense and hard fouls and rivalries and some modicum of effort and players earning their paycheck. Olschool fighting new school, a sport evolving before our eyes.

People pretending the 90s was all Ewing are idiots, and no surprise accusing others of selective memory.

The game is now way out of balance. Maybe it's too much of a good thing, but still way out of balance. May as well just have talent rankings and a three point contest to settle playoff seeds and start there.

Ooooh more in season tournaments will get everyone excited! LeBron could set the record with three championships in a single year!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I KNEW you were going to throw out some kind of coward/faggot/bitch insult to me saying I'll block you. You are as predictable as you are angry. I can see why you think your hills are so important to die on - this is the pinnacle of bravery in your life. Sad bar.

Bye.

No no don't go!!!! Keep talking to me... Please!!!!

Like what is someone supposed to say when some bitch on the Internet is threatening to ignore them and announcing it publicly like anyone should give a shit?

Ur angry!!!!!111one.... Good one, spaz.

DickTrickle

So your counter my thinking something is shit and getting shittier is to cite limited examples from the past you believe were shit?

When someone says the food at a restaurant is bad and getting worse, do you say, oh yeah, but 30 years ago I got food poisoning here! Like, just to argue for no real reason?

I would argue you're proving my point. The game used to have aspects that were shit, but was getting better.... And now it's shit and continuing to get worse.

As happens with many things a sort of peak happens and people in their hubris don't adjust because they think things can only keep going up, and we experience a decline.

Not at all a controversial observation, which is why, as always, during mass decline of many industries and aspects of society, the more interesting thing has become the people arguing fervently that everything is fine, juuuust fine.

Hrmm, how was there even a competitive All Star game when the players aren't accustomed to playing with one another!? It defies logic! I'm assuming there were a lot of injuries!
Yes, I gave some examples, but that doesn't mean they're limited to just that. I'm not here to provide an exhaustive proof of my opinion, just as you have not.

I think the NBA from somewhere around the mid 90s to sometime in the mid 2000s was a low point for average play. That's not a small blip of time. Phil Jackson teams were an outlier and successful for it. Then slowly the league shifted to a greater emphasis on spacing (with increased three point shooting) which necessitated greater athleticism from defenders. I liked that shift a lot. You can see that in the increased assists and how it was coming from all positions. I like teams where many players can defend many positions and can also score from anywhere on the floor.

I think the modern game probably shifted a bit too far in favor of offense, but it's still enjoyable. The problem I have as a fan is I simply don't have the time to watch like I used to. I don't play sports games any longer and there is no remotely local team so no one talks about the NBA around me but I think the game itself is still good to watch. It's definitely not the worst NBA I've ever seen.

You talk about human tropes in coping with decline but you perfectly encapsulate the stereotype of the old man getting older and believing everything is worse now and was better before. That's a take as old as time.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You talk about human tropes in coping with decline but you perfectly encapsulate the stereotype of the old man getting older and believing everything is worse now and was better before. That's a take as old as time.

Nah. It's easy to just grumble that everything sucks in every way. Even easy to declare anyone who doesn't like the direction of something as just being an out of date luddite. I'm only doing either of those things in some of your heads.

You're the one that keeps arguing points I'm not making. Quality of the game, or at least potential quality, we have similar positions.

My position is more nuanced perhaps that watching the game evolve from the slow, physical, often congested game to one that was more open with more skill players was as interesting as once that style fully arrived.

But that's besides the point. My issue is often with the culture and lack of effort in the NBA. Whether it's a victim of it's own success, the actual product has the potential to be better than ever, but in practice falls flat too often.

Then of course we end up with guys arguing all sorts of things anytime anyone posts ahy criticism, but then admit they don't really have time to follow the game anymore. Buuuut that doesn't mean the opinion and observations of someone trying to follow the game and being disappointed in the product are valid. Nah. Recycle the same arguements from when you did have time to watch just to shut people up!

And I'm equal opportunity. Luka is one of the best players I've ever seen to watch, and it's hard because he's lazy and gets pouty and instead of other players or fans correcting that shit it's I guess what people want so it's supported (even if just tacitly).

One of the most exciting players the NBA has ever had is also one of the cringiest and hardest to watch. Pretty much the modern NBA in a nutshell.

And then some dumb fuck will come in with some hot take about how players used to take plays off too or whine about calls so it's a-okay.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't watch a single all-star weekend event, not even highlights of any kind. NBA All-Star weekend has been bad for quite awhile, that being said at least in the Jordan days they would tighten up the last 5 min or so.

Nobody really cares.

A) Watch the greatness that is Luka Doncic B) See if the Mavs can build him a winner. That's my basketball involvement, currently.

I'd also say I think that Jokic gets pretty consistent acknowledgement for being the best player alive. If anything I think people are sleeping on what Luka has accomplished so far with "meh" teams - I think Luka was so good so fast he's getting a bit of something akin to prospect fatigue in other sports. Seeing some lists that have Luka as a back-end Top 10 player is absolutely a retarded take by those that make it.