NBA 2022-23 Season Thread - Wembanyama Tank-A-Thon Is On!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was huge NBA fan in the 90's and 2010's, haven't watched since the 2020 no-crowds Floyd-a-thon. So I don't know what's going on. That said...

-Sounds like there are several big-name Eastern European guys in the league now that are somewhat dominant? Can't even remember the last time that was the case. Kind of surprising.

-This Wemby guy seems to be a huge deal, watched a 15k seat arena get sold out for a regular basketball game due to it being the first time Wemby had played there. It just because he's very tall and can do things smaller guys can do? Like a super agile center?

-Zion Williamson never amounted to anything eh? I remember him being dubbed "the next LeBron" for a while there and it seemed like he just fell off the face of the Earth because he kept getting injured. Guy made like $60 million in a couple years for doing virtually nothing, IIRC.

-Sounds more like Wemby is "the next LeBron" than anything else, while Luka is the league's McGregor-type heel that people don't like but he keeps winning.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Then of course we end up with guys arguing all sorts of things anytime anyone posts ahy criticism, but then admit they don't really have time to follow the game anymore. Buuuut that doesn't mean the opinion and observations of someone trying to follow the game and being disappointed in the product are valid. Nah. Recycle the same arguements from when you did have time to watch just to shut people up!
How much do you watch? Because when I say I don't have time, I still watch some regular season games, watch a decent amount of the playoffs, and read articles. I used to watch every nationally televised game and knew every roster at least eight deep but that's impossible now. So when I say I don't follow the game it's relative to my past much deeper immersion in it. I think my opinions are still informed enough.

If you're staying as involved in the game while you dislike it so much I think you might be in an abusive relationship.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Was huge NBA fan in the 90's and 2010's, haven't watched since the 2020 no-crowds Floyd-a-thon. So I don't know what's going on. That said...

-Sounds like there are several big-name Eastern European guys in the league now that are somewhat dominant? Can't even remember the last time that was the case. Kind of surprising.

-This Wemby guy seems to be a huge deal, watched a 15k seat arena get sold out for a regular basketball game due to it being the first time Wemby had played there. It just because he's very tall and can do things smaller guys can do? Like a super agile center?

-Zion Williamson never amounted to anything eh? I remember him being dubbed "the next LeBron" for a while there and it seemed like he just fell off the face of the Earth because he kept getting injured. Guy made like $60 million in a couple years for doing virtually nothing, IIRC.

-Sounds more like Wemby is "the next LeBron" than anything else, while Luka is the league's McGregor-type heel that people don't like but he keeps winning.
Zion is a great scorer but was always injured and his effort was questioned. His game was never really that similar to LeBron, though.

Wemby is like a guard in a centers body in some ways, but he's got a ways to go on his shot. Still, I think he's only 19 or 20. I think one could envision him as being a more defensive Kevin Durant eventually.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah Wemby looks like he could be the real deal. As mentioned he needs to work on his shot and he also needs to put on some pounds. Give him a season or two and the Spurs could be back in the thick of things with some other smart roster moves.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
How much do you watch? Because when I say I don't have time, I still watch some regular season games, watch a decent amount of the playoffs, and read articles. I used to watch every nationally televised game and knew every roster at least eight deep but that's impossible now. So when I say I don't follow the game it's relative to my past much deeper immersion in it. I think my opinions are still informed enough.

If you're staying as involved in the game while you dislike it so much I think you might be in an abusive relationship.

I try to watch opening weekend, but it's always been hit or miss. I'll start watching a few regular season games a week, but most of them just aren't compelling enough to keep my attention. Try to watch the Christmas games because that was always a tradition.

Hadn't bothered watching the All Star weekend for many years but tuned in just to see if if was indeed a shit show. (Edit: And to get informed enough to trigger the cucks)

Last year I watched every televised Nuggets playoff game and probably half of the other games. For years watched 75% of Warriors games before they kinda became a trainwreck.

Dick measuring contest aside, what does it matter. If I don't watch enough games to pass your purity test then I'm ignorant and just grinding an axe. But if I do watch enough games, then, uhh quick pivot to then I'm in some abusive relationship with a sport. Either way, the classic heads you win, tails I lose scenario brought to you by the joys on the Internet.

How about I love basketball and try to watch but it's just not a quality product anymore so, yeah, I'm jaded and bitter as are many of us about many things. And I have no issue with people just saying something like, yeah, I get it, sucks, you seem bitter... because no shit.

The thing that's gets me is the fanatical rejection of any opinion that doesn't comport with the desperate attempt to pretend everything is not only just fine, but better than ever, and in just about every thread on every topic.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My main two grips about the NBA are:

1. The reffing is TERRIBLE. FIBA reffed games are a much more enjoyable experience.
2. The game is way too 3-point heavy. The NBA should have done something by now to reign it in.

Jokic and Luka have been getting their props. It did take the Nuggets to win a championship. My Timberwolves are the same way. We are #1 in the West, but we need to prove ourselves in the playoffs otherwise we are nothing but frauds.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My main two grips about the NBA are:

1. The reffing is TERRIBLE. FIBA reffed games are a much more enjoyable experience.
2. The game is way too 3-point heavy. The NBA should have done something by now to reign it in.

Jokic and Luka have been getting their props. It did take the Nuggets to win a championship. My Timberwolves are the same way. We are #1 in the West, but we need to prove ourselves in the playoffs otherwise we are nothing but frauds.

Too many teams have the wrong players and system to be as three heavy as they are. Even the Warriors should dial it back as it's basically Curry and some bench players that can shoot a respectable clip.

If Kuminga can truly develop a three shot he'll be a very dangerous offensive player.

Sterling

El Presidente
Wemby is hitting most of the progression marks you'd want him to hit for his rookie season. He's at least in the conversation for DPOY right now. He does need to develop his shot and he could definitely use some more polish in the post, but he's already scoring ~ 20 a game with maybe the most dogshit play at PG in the league. They get a real PG or other facilitator and they can be pretty good on offense. Teams jack up 3s because teams have had success doing it. 40 percent from 3 is the same points per possession as 60 percent from 2 which is basically just dudes that live around the rim. There are definitely some teams that shouldn't be trying to do that though.

You can certainly argue that you prefer the aesthetics of 90s ball but the league was really thin at that time with expansion and there were A LOT of real shit teams and very few good ones. Some unwatchable, real shit teams were making the playoffs back then. At least now if you watch bad teams, they at least have some good young players to get excited about generally. There was basically no reason to watch the shit teams back then.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel bad for jokic gettin lumped with Luka. Luka is a whiny little bitch who I could probably take in a street fight. Jokic is a badass who’s already got a championship with a lot more to come, and the closest ive seen him to being a bitch is when he nearly paralyzed that dude with a shoulder tackle (which that faggot 100% deserved so jokic wasn’t even really doin a bitch move). The two are nothing alike. Jokic gets tons of praise and publicity and for good reason.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I feel bad for jokic gettin lumped with Luka. Luka is a whiny little bitch who I could probably take in a street fight. Jokic is a badass who’s already got a championship with a lot more to come, and the closest ive seen him to being a bitch is when he nearly paralyzed that dude with a shoulder tackle (which that faggot 100% deserved so jokic wasn’t even really doin a bitch move). The two are nothing alike. Jokic gets tons of praise and publicity and for good reason.

Jokic tackled Morris in the back and that was absolutely a bitch play, even if he deserved retaliation.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Congrats on the faggot take.

Jokic is a monster, but Luka also walks to a title with that team. They're also best friends, so Jokic must not think Luka is a little bitch.